Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. MARRIAGE, MOVING IN TOGETHER, KIDS

MARRIAGE, MOVING IN TOGETHER, KIDS Rss

I was just wondering what everyone's opinions is on the order which people get married, move in together and start a family.
I'm not judging anyone, I'm just curious.
Dh and I got married after being together 4 years. We didn't move in together until we were married and dd1 arrived 6 and a half years later. I know we sound very old fashioned but we both come from catholic families and this is the way we were raised. Mind you my mil is italian and is VERY old fashioned. We did have sex before we got married. We are coming up to our 12th wedding anniversary.
I was wondering if anyone still does this these days. smile

mumof2gorgeousgirls wrote:
I was just wondering what everyone's opinions is on the order which people get married, move in together and start a family.
I'm not judging anyone, I'm just curious.
Dh and I got married after being together 4 years. We didn't move in together until we were married and dd1 arrived 6 and a half years later. I know we sound very old fashioned but we both come from catholic families and this is the way we were raised. Mind you my mil is italian and is VERY old fashioned. We did have sex before we got married. We are coming up to our 12th wedding anniversary.
I was wondering if anyone still does this these days. smile

DH and i did it a bit different to how i would have liked to have done it but it worked out wonderfully in the end! We moved in together after being together for just over and year and found out we were expecting DD about 5 months later! BIG SURPRISE for us! I would have liked to live together then got married then had kids though! I think its important to live with someone its a good test on what your life would be like as a married couple i guess!! I also come from an Italian family so you could only imagine how my family reacted to the news of DD wink but we are married now with our second bub only a few days off so definatley different to how i thought it would all happen!

It was expected of dh and I to get married before moving in and to have sex after marriage, huge pressure from family - but that just made me rebellious! Lol I had a huge falling out with my mum when he moved in with me and we weren't married yet. I was an adult an no longer had to do as she asked me to do she should have stayed out of it.

We were having sex when I was 16. Gotta try before you buy I say!!! Lol

We got engaged 5 months before we even moved in together lol got pregnant soon after then finally got married when DD was 1. Had DS 2yrs later and we are now preg with baby #3 grin

We did everything pretty quickly, we were only together 3 months before he proposed lol but when you know you know, everything is perfect and I'm so happy grin I had never considered the 'traditional' way of doing things, we did what felt right for us!

We got our house a month before we got married so we moved in. Marriage came first then our kids.

My dad was very old fashion and he would of been upset with me if i got pregnant first. And since i'm a daddy's girl i never wanted to disappointment him.

We were together for 18 months, then DH moved in with me as I'd already bought a house. Then 6 months later we got engaged, 6 months after that we got married, and 12 months after getting married our 1st DD arrived.

I always thought I wanted to get married, then have kids, but once I met DH and was finally happy with someone marriage wasn't as important to me any more. It was important to him that we get married before having kids though. Not sure why as his family isn't religious or anything like that. Probably "cause that's what you do" would be his answer!
We were together 18 months, got engaged, bought a house and moved in together, got married (about 18 months after getting engaged), married 2years then had dd smile here's our timeline (I love this lol) :

Got together 04
Engaged 06
Married 08
Dd born 10
Ds born 12

Wonder what 2014 holds? Lol

Thought I'd add my thoughts on the subject too- I couldn't have married DH without living with him first! That's where you see what they're really all about lol

Then you can make the decision...hmm can I pick up after this man for the rest of my life? wink my own opinion though- those that do the traditional way, that's beautiful just not for me. As Chalys said , I gotta try before I buy grin

My Dh and I did it all wrong grin, but have survived to tell the tale wink

I was a single mum when he met me with a 2yr old. The first night we met we didn't have sex but the next time when we met at my house we did because all I wanted was a bit of fun anyway.
The next day Dh took me and my DD1 grocery shopping and got loads of food for us and himself, but because we had mutual friends I knew he was a good guy so while I was a bit freaked out I just went with it.
The next day he went to work and said see you tonight and arrived for dinner, and just never really went home.
A toilet bag and a bag of clothes moved in within a week which sent me into a panic, but he was great with DD1 and great company so I kept going with the flow.
I found out 5 weeks after we met that I was pregnant! I have fertility issues so it was a BIG surprise.

I moved house a month later and he followed me. almost eight years later we have our own home and 3 children.
We got engaged when our DD2 was 3 and the same night conceived our DS -who we had been trying to conceive for 2 years!.
We soon after brought our own home then married when DS was 2 yrs old.

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to 'do it properly', but I think that doing it the way we did made our relationship strong. The early years were hard but so worth it. It was not how I imagined it would happen but it was so worth it grin

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

We waited until we were married to live together etc. A lot of people were surprised that we hadn't lived together etc before hand but, due to personal beliefs + where we both worked before getting married, it just wasn't something we considered. We dated for 2yr, were engaged for 10 months then married for 4 years before having DD with DS joining our family almost 3 years later.
I Moved in with DH after being together for a year. A year after that we got engaged. The year after that we got married and the year after that dd was born. We are noe expecting number 2 a few weesk after our 3rd wedding anniversary! I am very happy with how did things and agree with Chayls and Tallulah, You gotta try before you buy!

We were together 6 months before we moved intogether, we got engaged after 2 years, got married a couple of weeks before our 3 year anniversary and really hoping to add a little one of us to the world for our 4 year anniversary smile

That was the perfect way to do it for us, so glad this is how it has worked out....

Sign in to follow this topic