Huggies Forum

dietian Lock Rss

DD is so underweight she is being referred to a dietian. What will it involve/What will happen? Will they experiment with her diet, do a food diary etc?
Probably all of that.

My DD was also very underweight. She didn't gain anything from 9-12 months!!! I was petrified, and the drs did all the tests to rule out any medical probs

The end result is that I was feeding her way to healthily and she was very very active. Was basically told to add cream, cheese and lots and lots of carbs to every meal. She's put on weight now but she is still small. But that's just how she is
thanks.
D is 2.3 years and weighs just under 10kg. She is in proportion with height/weight but has dropped centiles and doesn't register on the centiles anymore. sad
3 lil monkeys wrote:
DD is so underweight she is being referred to a dietian. What will it involve/What will happen? Will they experiment with her diet, do a food diary etc?

When you get the appointment through they will ask you to fill out a food diary that covers 3 days, it doesn't have to be 3 consecutive days,but sometimes that is easier. You take it with you to the appointment and discuss that. They will weigh and measure at each visit. Depending on what the issue is, they will give tips and tricks....or in our case, tell us that we were mostly doing the 'right' things and just keep doing what we are doing. Having said that, we were referred more for food refusal, than a lack of weight gain. We were discharged after only a handful of visits, but only because we were already doing/trying everything she would suggest anyway.

Sometimes it helps to keep a food diary anyway, just so you can have some idea of what is being eaten in any given week. How she gets 'treated' will probably depend on a lot of factors like how big you/dad are, whether she is gaining at all or just gaining slowly, her age, etc. I don't think dietitians rule out medical issues, and if your GP thought there were any, I suspect they'd refer you to a paediatrician first.

Our girls GP is a pediatrican!! I'm not a big person, quite short and so is DH but she has not grown at all for a good 6 months now which is why she is being referred. maybe i'll start a food dairy anyhow then if they do ask it will be done. I feel a bit nervous about it!
Sign in to follow this topic