Huggies Forum

how to organise a house Lock Rss

Tips badly needed please on ways to ensure house stays tidy! My house is always a mess even though I feel like I'm constantly cleaning. I'm a disorganised person which doesn't help! I need tips to become organised please!
3 lil monkeys wrote:
Tips badly needed please on ways to ensure house stays tidy! My house is always a mess even though I feel like I'm constantly cleaning. I'm a disorganised person which doesn't help! I need tips to become organised please!

Ha I'm the same. I definately need more tips too!

Me too! The house can look nice & clean but there's so much crap put in boxes & stuff in cupboards! My first step is to sort through all the stuff that's hidden away that never gets seen/used and I'm going to really push myself to think "when did I last do anything with this?" If its been along time it's going in the bin! I'm going to get storage tubs for paperwork, photos & keepsakes with special memories. I'm also going to see what I can sell on eBay. Eg. Our place has built in wardrobes but we have 2 massive wooden robes in the garage. We are moving the end of the year so I want to de-clutter well before we pack and limit how much we need to fit in a moving truck (like the wardrobes). I think if you de-clutter it is easier to find homes for the stuff that's left & keep things organised. Easier said than done though!

I'm the same, but for us it comes down to the house being so small and the most appropriate storage soloutions being so expensive!

My DH's soloution is plastic storage containers, but now we just have stacks of them everywhere which a)isn't and attractive look and b) he has a shocking memory and randomly changes his mind about how to organise/group things so things are never in the same place when you go to look for them!

Oooh have the same issue, seems like our house is always messy and atm there is only the two of us!!! I'm going to blame DH lol.

Axiom wrote:
lol smile if you want to be SUPER organised you can use the 5 S Lean Thinking principles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Q-xaYior0
http://www.epa.gov/lean/environment/methods/fiv...

I'd settle for half organised! lol Have just watched the video n this link and It's really helpful, thanks!.

BiebersMysteryGirl wrote:
Have some large plastic tubs/cubes in the living room one that belongs to each other room down the hall/up the stairs.
In each tub place all the things that need to go to that room the tub belongs to. Like folded clothes, discarded jackets, school bag, toys, hairbrushes etc
At the end of the day move each tub to its room and put the things away. Hopefully your kids are old enough to help with this.

Make meals plans and write them down. If you can afford it do your grocery shopping online and have it delivered

Have another tub in your kitchen for recycling so its easy to move the lot into the big bins.

Get two trays for on top of your microwave. One for bills you have to pay/school letters to read and other paper work you need to deal with. One for completed paper work you need to file.

De-clutter toys and book. Keep an eye on what your kids actually play with and put the rest away. If it hasn't been requested after a month or two give it away.

These are great ideas, going to buy me some tubs! Half of the mess in our house is toys, the girls have so many they don't even know what they have.
I would start with decluttering if you can as that makes a huge difference. Also sort through papers etc and set up a system to deal with bills and other paoer work.

I do a big clean out of each room mid winter as its too wet to do outside stuff. I also make the kids tidy their toys before dinner time. I also try and do the dishes whilst cooking dinner and then they are done and can put them away once the kids are in bed. Its amazing how much cleaner the house feels when that is done.

Here is a site that might be helpful:
http://theorganisedhousewife.com.au/

Sign in to follow this topic