Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Sugar free ideas for kids Lock Rss

Anyone got any sugar free food ideas they'd like to share?

Dds diet used to be awesome and slowly bad habits have crept in. I know it's my fault, so we need to get back to good foods and I'll be interested to see if this changes her moods too.

I was buying those instant porridge sachets but had a look at sugar content and they have 8gs of sugar per serve, and she has a 'topping' cereal with it which is always a sweet one. If dh makes her brekky he also covers it in honey! Eek! I always give her a drink with brekky which has become chocolate or strawberry quick as she doesn't like plain milk..... Bad bad bad!

So I have some oats to make sugar free porridge and I might put a banana with it. Any drink and snack ideas for the rest of the day? Do other people have their kids on a sugar free diet?

For Breakfast we use the plain porridge sachet and add something sweet to it. That way it has less sugar and at least its natural sugar. Or the kids love weetbix bites. They are quite high in sugar but since the rest of there day day generally pretty sugar free, I dont mind so much in the morning.

For morning tea it is usually dry crackers with cheese or vegemite.

For lunch is usually a sandwich or wrap.

For afternoon tea it is usually something light. Usually a piece of fruit and a small tub of yogurt.

Dinner is very much miss and hit at our place as I work fulltime and get home as the kids are hungry. So usually it's meat and veg for my son, meat and pasta for the girls and something different for us. So I run a resturant. On the nights that I cant be fagged it usually pancakes, porridge or mac n cheese or like a heatly choice meal.

My kids are super fussy. They only like what they know and are not willing to try new things. I am hoping as they get older that will change. They are only 5,3 & 2.

Hope that helps.
A friend of mine recently purchased a thermomix....hugely expensive so not suggesting this, but there are a lot recipes for it that have great snack ideas that are sugar free (sweetened with fruit etc). I've tried a couple of the things she's whipped up and you'd never know. From what she has said I believe there are a lot of thermomix recipes available online and yo don't necessarily need a thermomix to make them (although they make take a bit longer to make!)

Other then that I'm no help. I'm not to worried about sugar myself although I try to keepit in moderation. It's a losing battle though because my DH is a shocker for packing them full of it!

Ah the thermomix, would love one but it's out of the question! Lol

Dinner and lunch is good in our house, she loves food and eats what we eat for meals, it's just snacks, brekky and drinks that are the problem. I need to stop buying juice too.

Like the fruit milkshake idea little miss, I will try that one.

When I make pikelets I put in a little tub of fruit puree instead of the egg and sugar. Works just as well.
We only stock water or milk at our place. And the milk is only served with one meal. Anything else is a treat. The kids might ask every couple of days for an apple juice or chocolate milk and that's cool. We will go out to the corner store and grab them one.

I find if you have anything else other than milk or water in the house, they will always choose that and before you know if they are no longer drinking water anymore.
chalys 'n' J wrote:
Ah the thermomix, would love one but it's out of the question! Lol

If you end up getting the magic bullet you could probably still incorporate a lot of the recipies wink

My 3 Little Terror Tots! wrote:

If you end up getting the magic bullet you could probably still incorporate a lot of the recipies wink

True! I do plan on getting one, just have to pay off our credit cards and save some money first... No biggie, only a cool 4k needed before I can save for a magic bullet!! laugh

We use the plain oats sachets too - I like the quakers brand they come out so creamy.

Snacks DS loves vita weets so that's good for wholegrains too

I make some "treat balls" which are made with dried frruit, skim milk powder, cocoa and coconut, - can post the recipe if you want. They are yummy and DS thinks they're a treat too!

We do banana milkshakes as well. I noticed you can also buy a quik style drink sweetened with stevia, haven't tried it though.

DS loves berries so I buy frozen ones and they sometimes go on his porridge or he eats them frozen!

Oh woul love a treat ball recipe please!! Any snack recipes are welcome - I struggle with the recess part of dds school lunch, she gets homemade stuff but it's always cakes and biscuits which are no good. All the packet snack things for lunch boxes are so awfully unhealthy so it's something I find difficult. They have fruit for brain food so she doesn't want it for recess as well.

chalys 'n' J wrote:
Oh woul love a treat ball recipe please!! Any snack recipes are welcome - I struggle with the recess part of dds school lunch, she gets homemade stuff but it's always cakes and biscuits which are no good. All the packet snack things for lunch boxes are so awfully unhealthy so it's something I find difficult. They have fruit for brain food so she doesn't want it for recess as well.

Tricky Chocolate Truffles

1/2 cup pitteed dates
1 cup sultanas
1 tbspn boiling water
1 tbspn cocoa (I normally add a bit more than this)
1/2 cup skim milk powdeer
1/2 cup coconut
extra coconut for rolling

Place dates and sultanas in food processor til finely chopped. Add boiling water and blend then leave fruits to soak for 10 mins. Add cocoa, skim milk powder and coconut and blend til it forms a firm paste. Add extra tbspn water if needed.
Divide mix in half and roll into 2 long logs. Refridgerate for 10 mins until firm. Remove from fridge and roll in extra coconut. Use a wet knife to slice. Keep in fridge.

This an awesome recipe too from www.vegiesmugglers.com.au

Cheese Puffs

½ cup milk (soy is fine)
1 egg
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 zucchini, grated (peeled first if your kids hate green)
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 cups grated cheese (cheddar is best)
1 cup self-raising flour

Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a baking tray.

In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Add the paprika, zucchini, spring onions and cheese.

Sift over the flour. Mix well (it becomes a thick paste). Dollop out portions. Bake for 20-25 minutes until deep golden brown and cooked through.

Store in the fridge in an airtight container for several days.

The vegie smugglers website also has a lunchbox planner (she has free samples online)

Sign in to follow this topic