Huggies Forum

gap between kids Lock Rss

hi laddies,
this has proably been discused before but i couldnt find any....
anyway i was just wondering what you guys thought would be a good gap between kids?
i asked hubby what he thought but he said whenever your ready for the next one. men... so unhelpful.

I have just under 3yrs gap between my first 2 kids... It's awesome, my eldest was toilet trained, very independent etc and it was so easy having a newborn in the house aswell smile

There will be 21 months between my 2nd and 3rd and I'm freaking out, I thought it would take a lot longer to get pregnant so I'm really not ready for this gap! DS is still in nappies and not talking much yet so I will be facing a lot of challenges. I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm expecting but I would rather my DS be more capable of doing things for himself iykwim.

Best of luck with your decision, it's a tough one grin

I have a 2 and a half year gap between my first 2 and there be less than 2 years between number 2 & number 3.

I think it what you can handle. If you know you can handle a close age gap then go for it. If you want a big age gap go for it.

It's a very personal choice. 5years between mine. I've had countless people say to me that they won't grow up together and dd would find it hard being an only child for so long... Blah blah, the list goes on. But I wasn't ready so we waited.

It has been truly awesome. Dd is pretty well independent with everything, and she didn't have any jealousy whatsoever. She has been just wonderful with him and I trust her with him 100%. The only downside to this gap is that dd goes to school and the drop offs/pick ups are a bit of a pain as they clash with bubs sleep. However he has adjusted and is (mostly) a great sleeper, he's happy and doesn't seem to mind having to fit in with whatever's happening.

Its not a common thing to have them so far apart and obviously most people think we're crazy but I wouldn't change a thing.

I have 4 years between my two. Pros- DS is toilet trained, very self suffcient, doesnt need me to do as much for him, gets in and out of the car himself, entertains himself well when I need to be with bub and is ever so helpful with DD! Cons- going right back to square 1 baby wise, which I dont really mind but nappies, bottles, baby bags, getting up at night for feeds etc were all over and done with for quite a while and you have to adjust to going back! I wouldnt have it any other way though. I dont think there is a 'perfect' age gap just go with what suits you and your family. Good luck! smile
Lol miss kel, for some reason I never thought of going back to the baby thing as a con. My sil had 12 months between her kids... Planned that way due to her being 38 years old for the first baby.

When I looked at her haggard face after having a couple years straight of no sleep I knew right away we wouldn't have them close together. I got a few years of enjoying sleep, and now only deal with 1child at night, not 2 children like sil is STILL dealing with! Her children are aged 3 & 4.... And it's like a competition to get up at night in case the other one is up and in their bed. Couldn't think of anything worse!

chalys 'n' J wrote:
Lol miss kel, for some reason I never thought of going back to the baby thing as a con. My sil had 12 months between her kids... Planned that way due to her being 38 years old for the first baby.

When I looked at her haggard face after having a couple years straight of no sleep I knew right away we wouldn't have them close together. I got a few years of enjoying sleep, and now only deal with 1child at night, not 2 children like sil is STILL dealing with! Her children are aged 3 & 4.... And it's like a competition to get up at night in case the other one is up and in their bed. Couldn't think of anything worse!

Yeah its not really a con is it? I loved having three and a half years of good sleeping in between babies. I always knew I would never want them too close together and as I posted I LOVE the age we have, it rally suits us. I got all the 'DS will be jealous...DS is used to having you all to himself" cr*p as well. And thats just what it is- Cr*p. He is awesome with her and loves to help. Im with you, Chalys! PS- PMSL at the 'haggard face' comment!!!!
TBH Benjamins mummy, I'd have to agree with your husband, it can depend on when you're ready for the next one. I love a 2 - 2.5yr gap between kids, but that might not suit you, your son may get to 2yo and your not ready, or, he may be 12mths and you might think that you're extremely ready for the next. Its such a hard question to answer.

Chalys, there's a 5yr gap between me and my brother (I'm the eldest, he's the 3rd child), and I have always got along better with him than with my sister who was number 2 in the family. I have a feeling your kids will have a fantastic relationship.
Hi We have a 2 year gap (almost exactly - their birthdays are 1 day apart! ) I've found it quite good, When DS2 was born DS1 was just starting to talk. THe boys get along great and DS1 loves his little brother to bits. It's funny I look at photos of when DS2 was born and DS1 looks so little!

I don't think I'd want them any closer than 2 years. My cousin has 4 under 5 - crazy imo! But it depends on what you're happy with.

Hi We have a 2 year gap (almost exactly - their birthdays are 1 day apart! ) I've found it quite good, When DS2 was born DS1 was just starting to talk. THe boys get along great and DS1 loves his little brother to bits. It's funny I look at photos of when DS2 was born and DS1 looks so little!

I don't think I'd want them any closer than 2 years. My cousin has 4 under 5 - crazy imo! But it depends on what you're happy with.

Hi I have a 3 year and 11 month age gap between my dd's. I actually wanted a 2 year age gap but it took me 2 years to conceive dd2 with the help of ivf. I find a great gap as dd1 was toilet trained and would be mummy's helper. I didn't need to get a second pram or cot, dd2 just used dd1's things. It was hard though having to deal with sleepless nights again and the baby stage. Now that dd2 is 18 months, the majority of time they get along. smile

Hey i have a gap of 16 months between my two children.. my dd was 9 months old when i found out i was 8 weeks pregnant with my son. It was difficult at first having two young children at home but now they are older they have a close relationship with each other and it is a lot more easier. smile
Sign in to follow this topic