Huggies Forum

when I was in the ED Lock Rss

My kids have been to the ED before but in every situation they needed to be there

DD1 went when her eye was swollen shut at 7am on a saturday morning. If it wasn't like that I would have waiting for the doctor.

DD2- she's been in an ambulance for croup with stridor (i rang non urgent ambulance just to talk about it they heard her breathing and there was an ambulance here within 5minutes)
She's been for a hernia to our local hospital then 2 days later we were rushed to emergency in brisbane
She's been with her Staph infection
Then went back with her staph infection

The nurses at our local hospital remember us now sad

I agree though there are a lot of non urgent people there. I would never have called for an ambulance for DD2 but the hopsital advised me to call non urgent ambulance number and then they proceeded to say if that's her we can hear breathing she needs an ambulance now ( she was about 8 months old)

Anyway i'm rambling now yep I agree a lot of people go to the hopsital when in reality a GP would have been suitable

Forever, for always and no matter what

It is true... Unfortunately. I have 2 cases that stick in my brain that blew me away.

One was a mother who said she couldn't work out what was wrong with her daughter, (she was acting perfectly normal), and she said that every time she tried to put her to sleep she cried. I asked if she has been sick, and she said no she wasn't sick. And I said well if you think it's not just a sleeping issue and something is actually wrong have you tried giving her panadol? And she said..... Why would I give her panadol if she's not sick! .... I was then trying to work out why she came to the EMERGENCY department! Apparently we're a sleep school! Honestly I believe some people do not take in what the word emergency actually means.

Second one a lady brought her 2 year old up at 1am. She said her dd was constipated. I asked how long since she'd been to the toilet and she said 2 days. I told her that is not actually classed as constipation, went through adding fibre to the diet blah blah... (I was thinking... She dragged her child here at one am for this!!!?). Then she says she'd had gastro the week before, not anymore. So I told her well that's why she hasn't poo'd- the bowel was empty...
And finally she says... So how am I supposed to get her to sleep?
And I believe the real reason she brought her was because she wasn't sleeping. Lol

My response was... I think you'll find that most of us parents have that problem at some point or another!

I do believe that the two mothers I saw wanted me to drug their children so they'd sleep.

Not gunna happen when I'm on!




I can't understand why people get crappy at kids being in ed.
I can understand if its like chalys said and a nurse has figured out a parent is after medication. But if you're just in a waiting room and their are kids there what gives you the right to say those kids aren't ill enough?
I always believe a parent knows their child best in those situations. I've been up to ed with dd and as soon as I got there shes sparked up which is frustrating as all hell! Each time this has happened (probably 2-3 times) she's had a temp over 39 and dr has said viral infection. Most recently this havened when I was in hospital with ds. She was so hot she got a heat rash wearing only a nappy. But she was still chatting away. Im sure other people thought she wasn't sick but later she was vomiting and had diahrea.

And really kids are so important. Why should parents feel bad for looking after them?

Also, its at least a three week wait to see a dr in my town. Receptionists TELL you to go to ed because they can't get you in.




OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

~NoDdY~ wrote:
I can't understand why people get crappy at kids being in ed.
I can understand if its like chalys said and a nurse has figured out a parent is after medication. But if you're just in a waiting room and their are kids there what gives you the right to say those kids aren't ill enough?
I always believe a parent knows their child best in those situations. I've been up to ed with dd and as soon as I got there shes sparked up which is frustrating as all hell! Each time this has happened (probably 2-3 times) she's had a temp over 39 and dr has said viral infection. Most recently this havened when I was in hospital with ds. She was so hot she got a heat rash wearing only a nappy. But she was still chatting away. Im sure other people thought she wasn't sick but later she was vomiting and had diahrea.

And really kids are so important. Why should parents feel bad for looking after them?

Also, its at least a three week wait to see a dr in my town. Receptionists TELL you to go to ed because they can't get you in.


This is true too. I always make sure I give the benefit of the doubt and do a good check over, because guess what? I've had my dd up there a few times too. Every time I felt like an idiot because I should know what I'm doing with her - but your own child being sick makes you second guess yourself constantly. When dd had rota virus the dr looked at me and said 'you just know when you look at her that she is okay', and I was tearing up and said yes but as her mother I can't be a nurse, it all goes out the window! And he said 'yes I do exactly the same with my kids,' then he gave me a hug and I started crying! Lol silly me.

Mostly when it's something that's not serious I think parents just want a bit of direction with how to care for them and reassurance that they're doing the right thing. Just like I did. People without kids or people that have grown up kids seem to not understand this anymore, and its something that no one understands until they find themselves to be the parent of the sick child.

Unfortunately you will come across lots of drs and nurses that will treat you like you didn't need to be there but if you're concerned you have every right to be. It's the privilege of being Australian to have a right to get your kids or yourself checked out! (Just don't ask me to drug your child!!)




I have been up a few times with the boys, usually a Saturday night as I know there are no drs open on Sunday so I would end up there anyway. If the drs are open the next day I may be more inclined to try and stick it out until the next morning to see the GP.

I have made good use of Health Direct Australia 1800 022 222, the government health line

If u ring you will talk to a nurse who will ask lots of questions, if they feel they can't answer they will put you onto the dr. I ring them first and they tell me if I should go to the ED or GP. They are fantastic. Before this I have rung the hospital to ask the nurse if I should come up, but I hated interrupting them, with the health line I font have to worry about bothering the overworked nurses.

Aka G&L smile

I would agree with her. Parents panic over all kinds of things. I think one of the most common reasons for parents to present to ED with young children is for a fever. The thing people need to realise is that low grade fevers (as in 37.5 - 39) are not only normal, but quite important for children because the raised temperature makes the body more effective at fighting viruses, therefore building up the immune system. But unfortunately most mothers worry and start trying to bring the fever down with panadol and nurofen, or they take the child to ED, when really, the best thing for the child would be to stay hydrated and get a good night sleep and let the fever run its course. Even though I am a nurse and know this, I still panic a bit at times, so I can understand why parents take their kids to ED when it isn't necessary but I think parents need to really think about what the hospital would do that they couldn't do at home, and decide if it is worth it or not.

That said, a mother should not feel ridiculed or be made to feel stupid because she came to ED. Parents just worry and need reassurance sometimes. In QLD we have a 24 hour call centre run by nurses to help guide parents in what to do, and we also have bulk billed after hours doctors so I think in those "not quite sure" situations this is the best thing to do, but I imagine not everywhere has these services available.




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Skubala wrote:
I would agree with her. Parents panic over all kinds of things. I think one of the most common reasons for parents to present to ED with young children is for a fever. The thing people need to realise is that low grade fevers (as in 37.5 - 39) are not only normal, but quite important for children because the raised temperature makes the body more effective at fighting viruses, therefore building up the immune system. But unfortunately most mothers worry and start trying to bring the fever down with panadol and nurofen, or they take the child to ED, when really, the best thing for the child would be to stay hydrated and get a good night sleep and let the fever run its course. Even though I am a nurse and know this, I still panic a bit at times, so I can understand why parents take their kids to ED when it isn't necessary but I think parents need to really think about what the hospital would do that they couldn't do at home, and decide if it is worth it or not


Agree smile

My DS had a temp about a year ago that hit 40 degrees, I rang the health direct line rather than take him to ED (of course this happened during the night lol) and they gave me some really helpful advice and I managed to get his temp down... I have used the health direct number a few times when I've been unsure of something.

In the 4.5yrs I've been a mum I've only had one trip to the ED and that was for DS, I discovered a massive fluid filled lump on the side of his head (it was 9cm long!) I did take him to the after hours gp first and they advised to take him straight to ED. He wasn't priority and we were waiting in ED for 5hrs before we even got seen by anyone!!

I understand the health of our children is the most important thing but I don't agree with those that rush off to ED for minor things that can be fixed at home. I would be shocked if I worked there and someone showed up because their child wouldn't sleep!!

I'm not sure if it's all over Aus or not but here in Perth there is an after hours gp service that you can call and they will come to your house, I think this is a great idea smile






Bailey's Mummy wrote:
Skubala wrote:
I would agree with her. Parents panic over all kinds of things. I think one of the most common reasons for parents to present to ED with young children is for a fever. The thing people need to realise is that low grade fevers (as in 37.5 - 39) are not only normal, but quite important for children because the raised temperature makes the body more effective at fighting viruses, therefore building up the immune system. But unfortunately most mothers worry and start trying to bring the fever down with panadol and nurofen, or they take the child to ED, when really, the best thing for the child would be to stay hydrated and get a good night sleep and let the fever run its course. Even though I am a nurse and know this, I still panic a bit at times, so I can understand why parents take their kids to ED when it isn't necessary but I think parents need to really think about what the hospital would do that they couldn't do at home, and decide if it is worth it or not

Agree smile

My DS had a temp about a year ago that hit 40 degrees, I rang the health direct line rather than take him to ED (of course this happened during the night lol) and they gave me some really helpful advice and I managed to get his temp down... I have used the health direct number a few times when I've been unsure of something.

In the 4.5yrs I've been a mum I've only had one trip to the ED and that was for DS, I discovered a massive fluid filled lump on the side of his head (it was 9cm long!) I did take him to the after hours gp first and they advised to take him straight to ED. He wasn't priority and we were waiting in ED for 5hrs before we even got seen by anyone!!

I understand the health of our children is the most important thing but I don't agree with those that rush off to ED for minor things that can be fixed at home. I would be shocked if I worked there and someone showed up because their child wouldn't sleep!!

I'm not sure if it's all over Aus or not but here in Perth there is an after hours gp service that you can call and they will come to your house, I think this is a great idea smile


The after hours services and direct health lines are really good and if more people used them it would reduce waiting times significantly in ED. I've used after hours doctors a few times now and it's so much better than having to wait 5 or 6 hours in a germy, uncomfortable hospital waiting room




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

unique1 wrote:
ok on a different note why didn't she complain about the adults that come in because they want a medical certificate so they don't have to work on monday or the ones like I went down wed and thurs as my boy kept getting worse on wed there was a guy there and he was talikng to them about why he was there talked about his breakup ok then I go back and he is back there saying the same thing they were taking him through checked his BP which was high so went to take him through and he said not to worry he will come back tomorrow
why isn't she complaing about those ones more than the children


Yes fair point, there are plenty of time wasting adults as well. Sometimes I wish there was some kind of fine that could be given to people who abuse the system, or make them pay a fee similar to going to the GP if they present with non urgent complaints. I bet that would deter a lot of the frequent flyers




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Skubs.. On weekends in our hospital there are some drs that put up a sign to say they are charging the standard $70 fee to see a dr for non emergencies.

We see people walk up to the sign then walk off, it saves us heaps - but I do worry that there'll be a pensioner or someone who actually needs to see a dr and decides not to because of the fee. So it's a catch 22 really. They actually don't charge anyone that comes in unless they come in for something stupid, then they charge them.

And people from overseas not covered by Medicare. I was really embarrassed once because one of our drs charged a backpacker $220 and wanted cash... Just because we wouldn't see them again. They had a genuine reason to be there and it was awful!

I think the answer to all these problems would be to have a 24 hour medical clinic open as well as an emergency department. That way the clinic would expect the minor things and not get shirdy (hopefully) with parents etc, and the ED would be free for actual emergencies.




chalys 'n' J wrote:
Skubs.. On weekends in our hospital there are some drs that put up a sign to say they are charging the standard $70 fee to see a dr for non emergencies.

We see people walk up to the sign then walk off, it saves us heaps - but I do worry that there'll be a pensioner or someone who actually needs to see a dr and decides not to because of the fee. So it's a catch 22 really. They actually don't charge anyone that comes in unless they come in for something stupid, then they charge them.

And people from overseas not covered by Medicare. I was really embarrassed once because one of our drs charged a backpacker $220 and wanted cash... Just because we wouldn't see them again. They had a genuine reason to be there and it was awful!

I think the answer to all these problems would be to have a 24 hour medical clinic open as well as an emergency department. That way the clinic would expect the minor things and not get shirdy (hopefully) with parents etc, and the ED would be free for actual emergencies.


It would be so hard to implement a system of charging patients of non emergencies because as you say it would frighten off people who probably should be there. The biggest one i would worry about is a mum who takes a febrile child home with some hideous disease like meningicocol. 24 hour clinics would be ideal. I haven't worked in ED, so I'm not entirely sure about the triage process but I wonder if the nurses should be upfront with patients about waiting times and necessity to be there, or is that out of the nursing scope of practice? Can a triage nurse say - look your child has a low grade fever, other vital signs are fairly normal, he/she looks well hydrated and there are no sinister looking rashes, you're better off to go home and come back if a, b and c present. For me as a mum it is always the "what ifs" that make me doubt myself which is why we have spent a lot of time at our GP in the last year tongue




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Motto mum wrote:
Hi skubala and/or chalys,
Just wondering (sorry to hijack the thread) but if a child vomits or collapses as part of the temp (think it is called febrile seizure) should they be taken to ed immediately?
Thanks


Sorry i was reading through this thread and just had to comment at this. Not to be rude but what a silly question, of course you take them to ED.
Sign in to follow this topic