Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

whens the first time? Lock Rss

After being at a second birthday party today and reading the "people sticking their nose in" thread im wondering when did you first let your kids join in the food aspect of birthday parties?

I let dd have a party pie and taste some icing on her first birthday and that night we had chicken nuggets I let her have two. But she still hasn't had lollies or sift drink or any of that stuff. Shes had chocolate much to my disgust, thanks to relatives.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

My kids all had cake at their 1st birthday parties, the lollies probably when they were about two. Most of the time at birthday parties they are too busy running around to worry much about the food after a quick sample of the lollies and chips so I don't worry too much and they are certainly not everyday foods.

Having said that, DS1 did gorge on lollies at his 2nd birthday party (under the watch of DH whilst I was busy in the kitchen and doing all the other running around) and ended up throwing up that night. He still remembers it, so if it does ever look like he might be over doing it on junk food we just remind him of it and it stops him in his tracks smile

In regards to soft drinks, we generally try to avoid these for the kids and it's only ever a very special treat. I don't think DS ever had one of his own till he was almost 4 and even then it was because we were out and ordered a kids meal and they didn't have a juice option. DS2 won't actually drink it because he doesn't like the bubbles. DS1 is still way too young to try!

Im like you guys. I have sometimes foods with dd. So cakes, chocolate, fried food, fatty or sugary foods are for sometimes. Not treats, just food you only eat sometimes.

I've let her try my fizzy water once and she hated the bubbles so im hoping that means she wont like soft drink much when she eventually gets some.

She had fairy bread at her second birthday but didn't care much for it.
like you say they are too busy playing anyway. smile

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I'm a big believer in having sometimes food as I have seen too many children gorge themselves silly at parties when they are never allowed to eat these foods. I am a bit of a health freak and watch my weight but do enjoy a treat every so often and so do my children DS1 didn't have lollies/chocolate/cake till well after 2 as he knew no difference. DS2 enjoyed all of the above before 1 as he wanted what his siblings had and they liked to share lol. So my 16 month old is well aware of what chocolate and lollies are and will scream the house down if he sees them but as I said its a sometimes food and I have just started to explain to my 5 yr old exactly why they are a sometimes food.
My kids are allowed to eat whatever party food they want at parties and have done since their own first birthday parties. DD is 4 and a half and has never tried soft drink and won't for a very very long time, that's one thing I don't agree with kids having, sooo much sugar in them, worse than the lollies laugh I do only put the slightly better options on DSs plate because he's too small to choose himself...

My kids don't eat 'party food' type stuff on a normal day so they understand (well DD because DS is only 19 months) that those types of food are for special occasions only. We are a very healthy household but it doesn't bother me if the kids get a chocolate at their grandparents house or whatever. Bad food on special occasions a few times a year isn't going to kill them grin

I try not to be too uptight about these kinds of things. I was more bothered with my first but have relaxed a lot with my daughter because she wants to have what her brothers having. I let my kids have party food if its available, can't remember what age exactly but my dd is 18 months and I will just try steer her towards food I'd prefer she eats first but if she has a small lollie or chips or something I let her. I give her a small peice of choc if we are having some.

My ds at 3.5 I let him have free reign, it's never been a problem as he's too busy playing. We eat pretty well on a day to day basis so I don't mind them having sometimes foods at parties etc. they are not the kind of kids to gorge so it works for me.

Having said that it shits me when relatives stuff them with junk constantly and if anyone gives soft drink to my kids without asking that really pees me off, my son has had it on a few occasions, not by me though. So far at our parties I've tried to provide a more healthier range of food than traditional parties, still with treats of course
I agree with most of above- everything in moderation
Theres a few things ds never had fizzy,lollies.and choc and deep fried food other thn that you've got to have a few treats in life.

Ds had had ice ream on two occasions once he was really sick and didn't like it second time it was a very hot day and I made him fresh fruit salad with a small tablespoon of vanilla ice cream.

When I bake I will on the odd occassion give him a small bite and I've baked him some low sugar pear muffins and he loved having one.

I had a tooth pulled last week so maybe I'm am how I am coz of how I was raised eating junk and fizzy was our water just don't want him to go through the agony I did and be fit and healthy smile.

Goah after reading these replies I feel life a terrible mum. my friends give me grief over being strict with what my dd eats but I ply my dd with junkfood compared to you lovely ladies!

She had cake at her 1st bday, then easter eggs just before 2nd bday then after that I noticed she gorged herself at parties as I never let her have junk. So we started to let her have an icecream maybe once a week, if we get lollies or chocolate she has some (maybe once or twice a week and only a small amount), she'd eat chips with us (again not often). Now at parties she'll choose a moderate amount of junk and that's it.

Now she is 4 and a half, she has a behaviour chart and every fortnight if she's been good she can choose to either go to the $2 shop or go to the dairy and choose an icecream, a choc bar or some lollies.

We don't really buy biscuits but we bake every week so she always has a biscuit, some slice or a muffin in her kindy lunchbox and that doesn't bother me at all.

We don't have fizzy or juice except on special occasions but I'm happy to let her have half a cup of lemonade at these times.

I reckon if you eat healthy most of the time and are active junk food should be enjoyed in moderation rather than seen as something horrible

BeccaRose wrote:
Goah after reading these replies I feel life a terrible mum. my friends give me grief over being strict with what my dd eats but I ply my dd with junkfood compared to you lovely ladies!

She had cake at her 1st bday, then easter eggs just before 2nd bday then after that I noticed she gorged herself at parties as I never let her have junk. So we started to let her have an icecream maybe once a week, if we get lollies or chocolate she has some (maybe once or twice a week and only a small amount), she'd eat chips with us (again not often). Now at parties she'll choose a moderate amount of junk and that's it.

Now she is 4 and a half, she has a behaviour chart and every fortnight if she's been good she can choose to either go to the $2 shop or go to the dairy and choose an icecream, a choc bar or some lollies.

We don't really buy biscuits but we bake every week so she always has a biscuit, some slice or a muffin in her kindy lunchbox and that doesn't bother me at all.

We don't have fizzy or juice except on special occasions but I'm happy to let her have half a cup of lemonade at these times.

I reckon if you eat healthy most of the time and are active junk food should be enjoyed in moderation rather than seen as something horrible

+1

I'm much the same with my 2 kidlets! Even DD who is 2 understands when I say that sweets and fatty foods are for sometimes! My kids prefer their pumpkin peas and potato or a tub of yoghurt, to lollies most of the time anyway lol tongue

I have been a nanny for nearly 13 years and I have noticed across the board that the kids who arent allowed or exposed to all kinds of foods including treat foods are the ones who gorge at social occasions, birthday parties, easter etc as they arent allowed to have these foods any other time. They're usually the ones who (embarrassingly!) dont leave the party food table while the kids who are allowed and are exposed to all foods including sweets are the ones who are too busy playing to care too much about the party food as they arent banned from it. I completely agree with Skippy and I also follow this. DS is 4 and has a wide variety of foods that does include special treats every now and then and because of this he doesnt want them all the time. He hates juice, cordial and soft drink only drinks water and milk. He is the kid that prefers to play instead of eat at parties. I dont tell him no to much at all and this is mostly because he doesnt ask for it because its not forbidden!
Just want to add in case anyone gets their knickers in a knot!! that I am in no way saying that anyone SHOULD be giving their children treats if they dont want to, was just an interesting observation that I hsave always noticed throughout my career!! Each to their own and every mother should be respected for there choices in what they do and dont feed their kids- most of the time anyway! smile
misskel79 wrote:
Just want to add in case anyone gets their knickers in a knot!! that I am in no way saying that anyone SHOULD be giving their children treats if they dont want to, was just an interesting observation that I hsave always noticed throughout my career!! Each to their own and every mother should be respected for there choices in what they do and dont feed their kids- most of the time anyway! smile

Totally agree with this smile said before have to have the treats in life as well all about balance.

Sign in to follow this topic