Huggies Forum

Baby left in the car Lock Rss

Today in the news was another story of a 6 month old in Bendigo VIC who was left in the car unattended and died. It was 7pm when the child was left, but still 30 degrees outside. I cannot understand why people keep doing it when every couple of months there is a new case in the media of a young baby or toddler dying from something that we all know better than to do! I totally understand how frustrating it is to get a baby in and out of the carseat but it's just not a risk you take, especially when it's so well known that cars heat up extremely quicky and that young babies and toddlers are so vulnerable. Why do people keep taking the risk?

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

tragic! I hope its a manslaughter charge.

I heard that in the year to August 2012 there were 900 and something reports of children left in the car alone in Victoria... That's a shocking number sad

So sad - especially that it's preventable.

Bailey's Mummy wrote:
I heard that in the year to August 2012 there were 900 and something reports of children left in the car alone in Victoria... That's a shocking number sad

Wow that is just phenomenal. Imagine how many nationally there are!

Skubala wrote:
Bailey's Mummy wrote:

Wow that is just phenomenal. Imagine how many nationally there are!

Yeah, I was surprised it was that many, I heard it on the radio this morning, didn't hear the whole story unfortunately but I wonder how many of those 900 actually died... Even if they didn't it's till very sad sad

The deaths are not even the worst outcome IMO. It's the poor babies who survive but end up severly brain damaged as a consequence of being left in the car.

Disguisting WTF I'm speechless poor poor baby sad sad sad R.I.P

That is horrible sad
I was picking up my son from kinder the other day (32 degrees) And while we were waiting for the teacher to open the door I was chatting to another mum ( 5-10mins) we go inside sign out the kids ect (another 5-10min) we walk out to the car park as we get near her car I can hear a baby crying and she said "ohhh 'name' your ok I'm back now" looks at me and says that's my 8 month old she was asleep when we got here, I was gobsmacked and my face said it all but really wish I had said something.

lizyd wrote:
That is horrible sad
I was picking up my son from kinder the other day (32 degrees) And while we were waiting for the teacher to open the door I was chatting to another mum ( 5-10mins) we go inside sign out the kids ect (another 5-10min) we walk out to the car park as we get near her car I can hear a baby crying and she said "ohhh 'name' your ok I'm back now" looks at me and says that's my 8 month old she was asleep when we got here, I was gobsmacked and my face said it all but really wish I had said something.

I don't care if they haven't slept all day. It's just not worth the risk, especially in that heat.

That is devastating. Don't these people think???! Honestly.

Skubs did you read the thread about this earlier today?

It made a good point that alot of these cases the parents completely unintentionally leave the child in the car.
one of the experts they interviewed said that usually the parent gets completely distracted and when they leave the child in the car in their mind they HAVE actually left the child at daycare or with the nanny etc.
Even one other expert said when the brain is going a hundred miles an hour the memory part malfunctions.

You should give the article a read, though its not easy to read.

I really do despair at those who intentionally leave their kids in the car.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Sign in to follow this topic