Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. how much do u spend on food shoping?

how much do u spend on food shoping? Lock Rss

Just wonder how much a week does everyone spend on their shoping?
how big is your family and what do u buy?
My weekly budget is $180 sometimes it goes a bit over,
this includes nappies and toiletries and cat food, we dont buy much 'treats' in the shoping and spend around $20 on treats or take out a week.
We are a family of 4

my friend said she finds it hard to stick to $300 a week for a family of 3 and i was like what do u buy!!
love to hear how much u spend!
We are a family of 3 and we aim for $160 but sometimes we spend about $200 tops. It includes DS nappies etc.

Family of 4 with 2y.o. and 6y.o. usually spend around $80 a week including toiletries but not nappies. Sometimes it goes up to $100 if lots of good specials to stock up on! I think we eat fairly cheaply, don't buy things on little packets or junk food, and buy what I can from Aldi
It always amazes me how much others spend on groceries so out of interest what would you spend the most on?
Family of three here spends $100-150 nz ds is eating much.more than I expected lol and his formula is the biggest expense at $25 we don't but chips or biscuits or anything and you one nappy at night otherwise cloth. Fruit and veges pretty much the rest lol
we are a family of 5 and we budget for about $400-450 a fortnight. Sometimes when we buy bulk meat we can spend an extra $200 at the butcher but then that meat will last for at least 2 months most of the time 3 months. We do buy extra stuff with our budget too..... every fortnight we either get a new pair of pants or shirt or soemthing each as well... the kids are always under $10 each a fortnight and i find doing it that way they are always getting new clothes and never seem to run low plus its not a huge expence when they really need it too. We try to buy healthy foods but we mostly have to buy stuff that can be frozen or is going to last because we live so far out of town we can only go shopping once a fortnight.

Be Naive wrote:
knockonwood wrote:
It always amazes me how much others spend on groceries so out of interest what would you spend the most on?
How do you do it so cheap??!! Our big expense Is meat. I like buying the lean mince and other food cuts of meat. We also have meat in our dinner almost every night. I really don't know what else we spend it on.. The usual fruit, veg, eggs, milk (we go through 2 or 3 3 litre bottles a week), dinner sauces, pasta, rice, and just the usual things... I refuse to shop at aldi though so would prob be cheaper if I did!

with the meat have you tried buying a slab of something... say rump... and then cutting it up yourself?? Our butcher has slabs and we buy that and dh cuts it up we save a heap! for example if we were running low on rump we buy one for about $60 - usually about 7 - 8kgs dh comes back and cuts it into what ever we want (mostly steaks, but will add a few diced bags in there too) and we get about 10 -12 meals out of it. so for meat thats about $6 a meal sometimes less

knockonwood wrote:
Family of 4 with 2y.o. and 6y.o. usually spend around $80 a week including toiletries but not nappies. Sometimes it goes up to $100 if lots of good specials to stock up on! I think we eat fairly cheaply, don't buy things on little packets or junk food, and buy what I can from Aldi

wow how do u spend only 80 a week!

We have meat every nite so that and nappies/ dairy food are our biggest expence
We spend 500ish a fortnight, that's for 2 adults and 2 kids smile

We spend $300 a fortnight and we only buy the bare essentials. That is for 2 adults and 1 toddler. But living in Darwin means EVERYTHING is horribly expensive! I did our food shopping yesterday (and I do a meal plan every fortnight) and I spent $280 but will have to spend more money during the fortnight for fruit as it only lasts 2-3 days here at most. Oh and milk as we go through heaps of that. On fortnights that we need nappies or anything else that's expensive... We go without other stuff

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

Well currently its only me and DP, and we have a budget of $120 NZD per week, however most weeks we spend around $60 and then like today it was a big shop around $200 to stock up on cans, freezer food, cleaning supplies etc. I do not eat meat (apart from fish) and we barely go through a litre of milk a fortnight (actually for the last 3 weeks we have not had any milk in the fridge!)
I also do a fruit and vege shop at the markets on most Saturdays, so much cheaper, like apples 1.49 per kg where as supermarket has them at 3.99 or higher! Kumera 4.99 supermarket 6.99... you get the picture!, I do drive 15mins to get there but I try to go fortnightly and if I run out of anything go to a local fruit and vege shop as that is still cheaper than supermarket..
Will be interesting to see how much more money we spend when bubs comes (planning on breast feeding and using cloth nappies)

We spend $200 a week. 2 adults and 2 kids. $150 is meat and everything else we need and $50 is on fruit and veg. We may have to drop in on the way home from work once a week to get some more bread or milk.

I don't know how others do it for less than that as I struggle to keep it under. Now that we do online shopping for the meat, condiments and cleankng etc, I can at least make sure I am only spending $150 before going to the grocers.
Sign in to follow this topic