Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Can't shake my bad mood caused by play group!

Can't shake my bad mood caused by play group! Rss

If you remember last week I had a bit of a vent about the music play group I went to for the first time where I was made to feel quite unwelcome.
I went back this morning. Big mistake.
It was fine at first. I got there & signed in with my membership number. On the play group web site it says under membership benefits that it covers attendance & nothing else on the subject.
I saw another mum from Tuesday & Thursday group and went to say hi. It was her first time on a Friday & she was made to feel even worse than me! She was told one of the organisers wasn't there yet & when she arrived she might ask her to leave!
So she was in the same tough spot as me last week. Her son had just seen all the other kids and the toys & was ready to play so she couldn't just leave then as it would upset him.
We sat through the music part, she left towards the end of music as her son is a bit older & didn't get into the nursery rhymes, we stayed for morning tea then free play. Then the organiser comes to tell me I need to pay! No hi how are you, straight to "Tammy I see you signed in but you need to pay your $4". She really speaks down to people. It's hard to write how condescending she is. She uses this quiet slow tone like she's talking to a toddler. It's just as rude as being sharp & abrupt. I said I put down my membership number because I paid online. She says that covers insurance but I still need to pay $4 each week. She said she told me last week it was free for that day but this week I would have to pay. She didn't. She said because I was there I could stay but they would have to call to tell me if there was space for us. They never called so I went back and I thought I had paid what I needed to. She just kept telling me no that's just insurance you have to pay like I was stupid & should know that. I said no we just won't come. Grabbed ds and left without helping pack up.
I rang the play group number & asked about the money. They said some groups still charge to covet rent, tea & coffe etc. that's fine but its not clear online. They are going to look into the wording & change it. I also told them that they are making new mums feel unwelcome. Me & now two others I know of. They seem to have a clique of regular mums so who cares about new ones? She asked me which exact group so she could have a word.
Glad they are doing what they can but she really got under my skin! Just had to let it out a bit.

Thats just pathetic!!!! Id ber totally pi$$ed after sucha hassle from such a horrible, unorganised group. How many members are there? The way it sounds its like people are falling out their doors with such an unwelcome response they give first timers... i wouldv left too! Noone deserves to be treated like that. Hope it hasnt put you off the whole playgroup route smile

It's a large group but the room they have at the local school could easily cope with more. They sit around on the mat & chairs & cushions for the music part and you bring your own morning tea for your children so I don't see why they need to worry about numbers.
It won't put me off play group. I go on Tuesday & Thursday & it's fantastic!
Really well organised in such a simple way. They have a roster for parents to write their name on to volunteer to either provide & run a craft for the day, bring morning tea for the adults or help make & clean up from the kids morning tea which is provided.
Such a simple system that works because everyone is always happy to do their part.
Plus they're really friendly and take an interest in all of the kids.

Dani + 1 wrote:
ugh I would find something different to do on a Friday! can't stand situations like that. that's one of the reasons why new mums can feel so isolated.
I have never experienced something like that and hope I never do!

Yea I think they are missing the point of running a play group in the first place.
Myself and the other two mums they treated that way are all new to the area so trying to get out & meet people. I might ask if they want to get together at a nearby park next Friday instead.

Does the organisation that runs the playgroup have a name? The way you are describing it and the fact that itis $4 sounds like mainly music. I have attended 2 different ones including one run by my church and it is fantastic. There are really strict guidelines about how it should be run, so I would definitely be making a complaint. All playgroups are meant to be welcoming and enjoyable for mums and kids.
Yes it's an official play group one. They said they will talk to the organisers as even though some groups charge that $4 there is a certain way they expect organisers to go about discussing it & they should be welcoming people in a certain way at all groups so these organisers might need a reminder.
I really wouldn't mind paying if they were nicer about it.

StrawberryTimTam wrote:
Yes it's an official play group one. They said they will talk to the organisers as even though some groups charge that $4 there is a certain way they expect organisers to go about discussing it & they should be welcoming people in a certain way at all groups so these organisers might need a reminder.
I really wouldn't mind paying if they were nicer about it.

the way she called you out in front of the other mums about the $4.00 was wrong and rude also!

Axiom wrote:
Could have been worse! At least no one kicked your DS in the head and none of the mothers started yelling at their kids for getting a tiny bit of paint on other kids, and calling them f^(%!^@ little c#^!$ blink

Never thought of it that way.

Axiom wrote:
Could have been worse! At least no one kicked your DS in the head and none of the mothers started yelling at their kids for getting a tiny bit of paint on other kids, and calling them f^(%!^@ little c#^!$ blink

Did this happen to you Axiom??? Can't remember if I've read that but it's ringing a bell...

Axiom wrote:
TallulahBelle wrote:
Did this happen to you Axiom??? Can't remember if I've read that but it's ringing a bell...
yes it did - never went back

Oh man! Sorry! That's horrid!
I thought you just came up with a random hypothetical

I moved to a new area around 2 1/2 years ago now and only have a very few friends here because i foud all play groups/any kids groups all the mums already have 'their groups' and are quite reluctant to include newbies sad
Its so frikken rude, it is for the mums sanity a bit but more so for your kids to have other kids to play with !

Sign in to follow this topic