Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Keen to hear from other working mums!

Keen to hear from other working mums! Lock Rss

Hi all!

I am currently a stay at home mum to my 5yo DD and 2yo DS. I am desperate to go back to work (I haven't worked since leaving for maternity leave when I was pregnant with DD!). I guess my question is for those of you who work, what is your afternoon routine, at what times etc all the way up til bed and how do you find working and balancing family life?

DS also has never been away from me for longer than a few hours so it will definately be new to him too! (and heartbreaking for me having to leave him, but I am ready!).

Any advice/input appreciated! Thankyou smile

With us, we needed a bit of extra money, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my time with my son, so I decided to do part time night fill, 8-midnight, 4 nights a week. Evenings are rushed getting two adults and a child fed, plus getting wee man to sleep and catching a few moments with DH, mornings can be hard too when I'm quite tired and pregnant, but we make it work. It's hard at first, but once your family find their routine, you'll adjust and get used to it. It's all about balance. Good luck smile
I currently work 4 days a week (normally only 3 days but trying to put away some extra money before bubs arrives in August) and this is our day-
6.00 am - I'm up and out the door by 6.25am (unless I'm taking DS to childcare then I'm out the door at 6.50)
7.30 - 8.15am - arrive at work
3.30 - 4.10 pm - finish work
4.30 - 5.15pm - pick DS up from childcare
5.30 - dinner for DS (he has whatever we had the night before)
6.00 - bathtime
6.30 - quiet time and a glass of milk
7.00 - teeth, books and bed (normally out of bedroom by 7.15pm)
7.15 - start cooking tea for DH and I (I always serve up a plate for DS for next days dinner).

DH normally doesn't get home till 6.50pm.
I find the key is to be organise, restock childcare bag that night, have clothes already out, always have a few frozen meals (pasta sauce, stews etc) in the freezer for busy days.

Sign in to follow this topic