Huggies Forum

Adjusting to being a SAHM Rss

Hi Guys,
Just wondering how you coped from being a full time working mum to being a SAHM. I have been working full time for the past 6 years and I am now a SAHM till January when my maternity leave is up. I love spending time with my little man and would not change it. I have noticed that I am getting rather board at home, especially when DS is sleeping. I have cleaned the house and recleaned it LOL. My baking tins are always full and there is always something yummy for tea. It is nice to be able to pick up DD1 and DD2 from school instead of them going to after school care.
Did anyone else struggle/find it hard with the transition.

I went from working 20 years in banking into being a sahm. I had just quit my job and was going to take some time off as my migraines were blowing from the stress of the job. I then unexpectely fell pregnant with ds. So I spend 9 months just at home running my dd around. Now I have my wonderful little terror to look after.

At first it was strange being home as all I ever wanted to do when I worked was be at home. I felt for a very long time that I wasn't contributing to the family (mainly financially).

Now it has been 4 1/2yrs all up and I have definitely settled into being a sahm. I am hoping though to work from home maybe on the computer once ds starts school (that should be good for the old noggin).

You will be fine. It just takes time to adjust to any situation. I worked my dd's whole childhood and regret missing out on all of her kindy/school functions. Now I have a second chance to be a part of my childs upbringing.

I've always worked, I only took 8 months off with dd and once she was 1 I was working FT again, then 3 years on I had DS (was working almost fulltime till 37weeks) I took 7months off then went back to work PT.
Now DS is 14months and DD started school this year, I have found I'm enjoying work much less sad
We are moving interstate in 3 weeks and we have decided as a family I'll take a 2 month break at work and be a fulltime SAHM! I'm super excited to get more time with my kids and help them adjust to a new city. If after 2months we think our family needs it, I'll stay home a little longer. I think I'm finally ready to be a domestic goddess (only took me 5years bahaha)

I will probably get used to it and then it will be time for me to go back to work sad

How old is your boy?

I found it a bit boring to start with when i first had dd. But the older she got the more i had to do and the busier i got. I also used the time to do things working full time hadn't let me do. Like read, lol.

But like i say the older she got the more challenging. And now with Ds and dd home i barely get a chance to scratch myself. Im also doing a course to help my job prospects. Maybe that would be something you would like to do?

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

~NoDdY~ wrote:
How old is your boy?

I found it a bit boring to start with when i first had dd. But the older she got the more i had to do and the busier i got. I also used the time to do things working full time hadn't let me do. Like read, lol.

But like i say the older she got the more challenging. And now with Ds and dd home i barely get a chance to scratch myself. Im also doing a course to help my job prospects. Maybe that would be something you would like to do?

Hi Noddy
He is 10 weeks old, I am on 1 year maternity leave from my job which I will return to. I know it is only 1 year and that will fly by, and at the end I will probably not want to go back to work. The older he gets the more he will entertain me smile smile

Not quite a SAHM yet, but I'm 21 weeks pregnant and was made redundant recently. Since this is my first, I don't have any children to run around after (just 2 cats - lol), but am having a hard time finding work because who wants to hire a pregnant woman?
My house has never been so clean and I have never watched so much Jeremy Kyle in my life. I get out of the house as often as possible to keep my sanity, but I hate that I can't contribute to my household financially.
I am looking forward to when my daughter is born, so at least then I will have something new and exciting to keep me busy and dote on.
Bumping due to spam smile
Sign in to follow this topic