Huggies Forum

Need some opinions Lock Rss

I just wanted to get some other opinions on I guess what is my parenting style.

I'm pretty relaxed with my kids and my 4 year old especially loves to watch shows like Bindi and David Attenborough documentaries.

My mum thinks I shouldn't be letting her watch things like the docos where a tiger hunts and eats an antelope etc or crocs catching and eating things

I don't think it's an issue she isn't scared of these animals eating her she knows that it's the way of life and some animals eat other animals but I didn't know if maybe I'm not doing the right thing and am setting her up for nightmares or something

Forever, for always and no matter what

tickled*pink wrote:
I dont see a problem with it. Better than some of that cr@p on the kids channels tongue

see that's what I think. She knows so many animals that most kids her age have never heard of and she knows so many breeds of snakes etc. She is still fearful of snakes enough not to just approach them in the wild but if she sees one (climbing out steps a few months ago lol) she's pretty intrigued.

I'm thinking it's maybe that mum is a bit old school but I really don't see an issue with it but when we are at her house she will not leave a show like that on for the girls to watch because it's not appropriate

Have you actually seen cartoons? Actually sat there and watched cartoons? Animations?
What that Tiger does is pretty tame compared to what Wile Coyote used to do. Or Bugs Bunny that mean old bastard. Even modern day cartoons are full of vocals and scenes that make Tiger maulings look tame.
Animal channel is good education. It's real life good education.
I think it just depends on the kid. Some kids are super sensitive to it and others are super dooper fascinated. My kids have grown up watching docos like that and self sufficiency / cooking shows where animals are killed and then cooked. Plus we also have a lot of animals on our property so they have experienced the life cycle. I think its fine providing the kid gets something positive out of it. I would say if she is interested and not having nightmares, then she is ok with it. wink
unique1 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with it I used to love watching these docos as a kid smile
BTW do you buy them if so where as I have been looking for some great docos

Nope I haven't bought any I usually try and tape them off tv. I saw a collection of the david Attenborough ones on ebay though a while ago I was going to buy them for her birthday but never got around to it

Sometimes grandparents can be super sensitive. My parents are paranoid about anything happening to the girls, but were really relaxed with us. Maybe its similar?
the library normally have some great ones!
I guess it just dpeends on how graphic it all is?

Mr J looovvved animals and docos when he was about 3-5. Blue planet does a great range.
I did worry about goriness so I mostly tried to steer him towards ones I thought would be less graphic.
He never had a problem in regards to nightmares or anything like that.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Thanks ladies maybe it is just because it's something my mum doesn't like to watch so she's passing it onto the kids.

She does have night terrors occasionally but never when she's been watching docos we've narrowed it down to when she's had something sugary after dinner.

She doesn't seem bothered when she sees something killed/eaten I do watch and make sure she isn't worried but if you talk about it she knows that the tiger is just wanting something to eat like we eat beef and pork and chicken etc.

She also knows about the different meats like beef is from cows etc and she's been in the truck when we've taken a cow into the butcher from my sisters farm before and knows about the cycle. I wouldn't take her into the slaughter house at this age but I don't think it's an issue knowing about where the cow is going etc.

I guess it just shows how different my mum and my views are. I've been shooting and done slaughter and butchering when I did an ag degree so maybe i'm just a bit desensitised whereas mum wouldn't be able to deal with doing stuff like that

Tutu&Lulu wrote:
Thanks ladies maybe it is just because it's something my mum doesn't like to watch so she's passing it onto the kids.

She does have night terrors occasionally but never when she's been watching docos we've narrowed it down to when she's had something sugary after dinner.

She doesn't seem bothered when she sees something killed/eaten I do watch and make sure she isn't worried but if you talk about it she knows that the tiger is just wanting something to eat like we eat beef and pork and chicken etc.

She also knows about the different meats like beef is from cows etc and she's been in the truck when we've taken a cow into the butcher from my sisters farm before and knows about the cycle. I wouldn't take her into the slaughter house at this age but I don't think it's an issue knowing about where the cow is going etc.

I guess it just shows how different my mum and my views are. I've been shooting and done slaughter and butchering when I did an ag degree so maybe i'm just a bit desensitised whereas mum wouldn't be able to deal with doing stuff like that
Its possible, your attitude towards it will also reflect on your kids. If you are ok with it, its likely they will be too.

My mum is a volunteer at a musuem and she was showing me a selection of post mortem photography. They used to take family portraits including the person who had died. They used to dress them up and take a formal pic with their family and it was really hard to pick who was the dead person. Its all about what they are exposed to as to whats normal....
My son is pretty sensitive to some PG movies & programmes but he loves David Attenborough stuff and the human body progammes! (Which can lead to some interesting questions!) I love watching them with him and we just talk through anything he is confused by or seems surprised by. Like you mentioned, for some reason these things never give I'm nightmares unlike some of the movies he has seen!

On a side note... Isn't David Attenborough fantastic! What an incredible man, definitely on my fantasy dinner party list!
OC1246 wrote:
My mum is a volunteer at a musuem and she was showing me a selection of post mortem photography. They used to take family portraits including the person who had died. They used to dress them up and take a formal pic with their family and it was really hard to pick who was the dead person. Its all about what they are exposed to as to whats normal....

OC - you never fail to amaze me with all these interesting facts smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Sign in to follow this topic