Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Ducted heating/cooling options..

Ducted heating/cooling options.. Rss

Sorry Nai, I don't really have any advice, but we have gas central heating, and our gas bill can be huge, whereas our power bill is very minimal.
I hope others are able to give you some actual advice...I know nothing about this kind of stuff smile
Hey, we also live in the ACT and we have ducted heating and evap cooling. FANTASTIC! We love it and find it pretty cheap. When we first moved in we ran heating through winter at 16 degrees(only day time, switched off at night). I was stressed about the bill which is why we ran it so low and our gas bill came in at around $300. So this year we have it running at about 18 degrees and we have it on at night too but only at 14 degrees. Our gas bill just came in at $500 but we are expecting our next one to be slightly more. we also have a gas hot water and gas stove top. The evap cooling part is not as great although definitely takes the heat out of the air on those stinking hot days. It only really works if there is no humidity though....
When compared with my friends who have reverse cycle the ducted heating is way cheaper. You also have the luxury of only heating certain parts of the house as you can turn the ducts on and off.
I think we have a Brivas System ( I think George gregan spruiks it)...Anyway happy to answer any more questions smile

Apologies for my replies, hope they make sense. I am usually typing one handed or interrupted halfway through wink

Yep, you do need a certain number of windows or doors open per room for it to work properly, I forget exactly how it works but it can only cool the air. its not like an air conditioner and I think the max it can lower the temp is about 10 degrees.... Its kind of like a big fan for your house. Its only really worth it on those REALLY hot days where you just want to lay on the cold tiles all day!

Apologies for my replies, hope they make sense. I am usually typing one handed or interrupted halfway through wink

We have a reverse cycle ducted heat pump in our house. It heat the house very efficiently, and occasionally we use it as an sir conditioner, but not often as we live in Tassie. We don't have gas here (only in tanks), so it was our only ducted option. It was expensive to install but I believe it will pay for itself as it's a lot more efficient than heating individual rooms. We leave it on 24/7 in winter, the timer turns it down automatically at night and keeps the bedrooms cooler in the days as we don't use them often at that time.

Our winter power bill last winter quarter was around $600, which I thought was good as it includes hot water, dryers etc as I was home with a new born. This year we have had a solar panel system put in so our last bill was only $90.

I wouldn't spend money on evap. They do cool slightly but if you're spending money on something you want it to work well. We've been looking into our heating/cooling options too and have decided to install solar panels and get reverse cycle.
We have ducted rc and its great! It heats so quickly - we only have ours set on 17 c.We have solar panels as well.

Hello. In our time, it is very fashionable and profitable to install solar panels. We have studied this issue. Last year we lived in Portugal, and many of their houses had no heating. There was no heating in our house either. So, we dressed warmly and warmed up with air conditioning. It was such an adventure for us. That we went out to bask in the sun. To be honest, it was warmer outside than at home. We did this for a while when our air conditioner broke down. So, I even studied the information about aircons, on various sites on the Internet, for example here socool.sg. I came to the conclusion that it was better to call the air conditioner repair service and not to overwork myself. We were lucky that it was fixed quickly, or we would have turned into snowmen at Christmas.
Last year we lived in France, and many of their houses had no heating. There was no heating in our house either. So, we dressed warmly and warmed up with air conditioning. It was such an adventure for us. That we went out to bask in the sun. To be honest, it was warmer outside than at home. We did this for a while when our air conditioner broke down. So, I even studied the information about aircons, on various sites on the Internet, for example here lkbrothersaircon.com. I came to the conclusion that it was better to call the air conditioner repair service and not to overwork myself. We were lucky that it was fixed quickly, or we would have turned into snowmen at Christmas.
Sign in to follow this topic