Huggies Forum

Confused Lock Rss

Mel+2 wrote:
The treatment is confusing as it says tabs are not safe during breastfeeding so how are they safe during pregnancy?

it's based on the drugs molecule size and whether it can pass the placental barrier. Just because it can pass into breast milk, doesn't mean it will pass through the placenta onto the baby, if that makes sense. If the drug is Carbimazole (Neo-mercazole is a trade name), that's not usually used in pregnancy if it can be avoided, but there is another drug that's safe in pregnancy. They just registered it in NZ last year but I can't remember what it was called sorry.

I hope that gives you some insight/comfort, hopefully Eranda will see this and can give you a little more on what the treatment usually is in Aus.

Mumof2hunnys wrote:
I went through my second pregnancy taking med for underactive thyroid and my girl is fine. My underactive thyroid developed after the birth of my first girl. I believe you can breast feed even with meds. No one told me I couldn't.

The treatment for underactive thyroid is very different to overactive. The meds (well most of them) that they use for underactive is just a replacement of the missing hormones that should be there and therefore are mostly just natural components of the human body.
As far as I know overactive thyroid is much harder to treat than underactive.
If you are only borderline than there probably isn't much to worry about, apart from a lot of blood tests for monitoring. My thyroid is severely underactive and I have to have blood tests once a month for the duration of this pregnancy and for the first 6 months after he/she is born.
Thyroids can go crazy just because of the pregnancy hormones, fingers crossed your returns to normal soon!

Hi I have an overactive thyroid and am having a baby next month.
I was diagnosed early last year with graves disease. I'm happy to pm with you about it all if you like? Touch wood I haven't had any issues & I'm not classified as high risk either.
I'm sure you'll be ok, easier said then done, but try not to stress smile
I was diagnosed with graves disease half way through my first pregnancy. It was just monitered and I didnt have to take any medication during the pregnancy. After I delivered though my TSH went haywire and as a result I had a complete thyroidectomy in December 2011. It was the best thing I could have done. I am now on a daily medication and will be for the rest of my life, but it is the best thing I did. I am also 33 weeks pregnant and have had a much much better pregnancy this time than what I did with my son. Hope it all goes well for you!

Sign in to follow this topic