Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

before you jump to conclusions Lock Rss

Skubala wrote:
Nods I'm just a bit curious - if he's hitting his milestones and is otherwise happy and healthy and full of energy, why are they so keen to fatten him up? He is growing isn't he? Even if slowly? Not being critical, just wondering the reasoning for the paeds being so eager to add numbers to the scale. I was always a tiny little thing and even as an adult I was 156cm and 42kg - nothing ever wrong with me, I just wasn't built big. It would just seem a shame to sacrifice healthy food for fatty foods simply for the sake of weight gain. Like I said, just curious?

Most of the junk foods like cake etc are to help deal with the lump issues. They're called bite and dissolve foods .

The high calorie and good fat foods like cream, cheese, jam etc are to help him gain weight.

The reasons he is needing to gain weight is that his head circumference is that of a 12 month old yet his length and weight are that of a six month old. This apparently tells them that all growth is being directed to brain development and there isn't enough energy for body growth. (this is how it was explained to me)
Another reason is that he is constantly ill. Most recently he had a urinary infection and ear infection at the same time.

He's had multiple courses of antibiotics for various chest infections and Tonsilitis of which he's had viral and bacterial.

So atm we aren't sure if his constant sickness is effecting his growth or the cause of his poor growth is effecting his ability to fight illness.

The most recent paed we've seen (this one is the one we will be seeing every six weeks! Finally some continuity of care!) believes that Ds may have had a set back early on that wasnt picked up and now were playing catch up. She also got me to chart him using the WHO growth charts rather than what we get in our purple books. Ds looks much better on those!

So hope that answers your question. Tbh i don't feel 100% confident i know what's going on myself. I just know i want my boy to stop getting sick, weird looks and just be himself.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Nai&BE wrote:
Skubala wrote:
Nods I'm just a bit curious - if he's hitting his milestones and is otherwise happy and healthy and full of energy, why are they so keen to fatten him up? He is growing isn't he? Even if slowly? Not being critical, just wondering the reasoning for the paeds being so eager to add numbers to the scale. I was always a tiny little thing and even as an adult I was 156cm and 42kg - nothing ever wrong with me, I just wasn't built big. It would just seem a shame to sacrifice healthy food for fatty foods simply for the sake of weight gain. Like I said, just curious?
Yeah I agree with this. I understand there is such thing as failure to thrive but if he's been tested and everything is fine then I would think that's just his build? I'm small and both my kids have been on the small side, I figure that's just how we are built. I'm just not sure what the Mach nurses and paeds etc obsession is with babies having to be chubby? The 'average' size these days seems to be much bigger then it used to be, obviously with the higher percentage of people being on the larger side. My dd was 7.6kgs at 10 months old. She is extremely active, has been walking since 9.5 months old and is always on the go. I'm constantly feeding her on the run too lol. She eats fairly well the majority of the time and I figure she is just going to be small. Some Mach nurses were insisting I feed her junk and dp and I disagree with this and feed her high calorie foods but not just junk. I'm not saying she eats perfectly, she eats bickies and I'll give her some maccas chips or whatever if we are out but I think their approach isn't really the way to go. Anyway I hope you don't take this the wrong way but just another point of view. smile. As for judging you for feeding your kids junk, pfftt I don't think anyone should judge for anything regardless if there's a good enough reason or not. I couldn't care less if someone's greasing me while I'm at maccas with my kids. They don't know how often I go, they don't know my kids etc so I honestly don't let it bother me in the slightest.

My Ds is 12 months old and weighs approx 7.4kg and 69cm. This doesn't mean he's just not chubby.
If you read my response to skub you'll see my explanation of what's happening.

Im small and is likely my kids will be too. However my Ds was in the 50th percentile for the first 6 months of his life. Then he dropped straight down to not even register on the charts. Currently he still doesn't register on the purple book charts and on the WHO charts he's in the 2nd percentile.
Comparing his length and weight he "should" be heavier- that is he is under weight for his height.

So Yeh. Hope that makes some sense. smile

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I hate to admit it but before I became a mum I was judgy of mums who did this but since becoming a mum I can completely understand why a parent would do this. Does it really make a difference as long as your child is healthy?
Now reading this I really feel for you Hun. It must be hard trying to get your little one to eat different textured foods. I don't know where I would even begin.
Don't let anyone tell you that what you're doing is wrong because you know your child best smile
Sign in to follow this topic