Huggies Forum

Worried about my cat Rss

We've noticed she's been off her food the last couple of days. She's been using the potty okay, but it just seems she's eating 1/4 of her meals. She has dry food in the morning (fancy feast grain free) and wet food for dinner (changed her to a better brand after whiskers didn't agree with her). She does seem to be having a lot more alone time during the day and then will come out for cuddles when the kids are in bed. I wonder if she is stressed (DD1 put a sock over her head the other night) or sick? She is an inside cat, approx 2yrs old (adopted her roughly 4mths ago) and desexed. DH is just at the shops now buying tuna is spring water to see if that interests her.

Could be she is just a little stressed after the sock incident - did you get a checkup done when you first adopted her? I would take her to the vet just for another checkup just to rule anything out, it's better to catch things early- I take my cat regularly ... But that's cause she is 15years old smile
She's eaten some tuna in spring water now and done #2's so we'll just keep a close eye on her. She had a check up at the vet just before we adopted her. The rescue organisation gets it done before you take her home. I think it is stress that changed her behaviour.

Cats are easily stressed so she may have been worried about the sock incident! I've got a very temperamental cat, slightest things make her jump and at the moment she's completely ignoring me and only giving DH the love and attention! One thing my mum use to use for her cat was a type of plug in air freshner for cats! Sounds ridiculous but worked for her stressed out cat. Humans can't smell it, only cats! Mum plugged it in her room and it became a 'safe place' for the cat. You can get them from vets or pet stores.

HopefulMummy wrote:
Cats are easily stressed so she may have been worried about the sock incident! I've got a very temperamental cat, slightest things make her jump and at the moment she's completely ignoring me and only giving DH the love and attention! One thing my mum use to use for her cat was a type of plug in air freshner for cats! Sounds ridiculous but worked for her stressed out cat. Humans can't smell it, only cats! Mum plugged it in her room and it became a 'safe place' for the cat. You can get them from vets or pet stores.

Great idea. She loves to hang in our room during the day and watch out the window. We now notice she dosnt like being picked up for long. Also the last few nights she put herself to bed. So last night we decided not to close the laundry door so she could hide when my daughter gets up as she normally opens the door and gives her pats in the morning. I think my cat needs a break from her.

I took her to the vet after she was refusing to eat again sad Her temp is ok and we have half the blood tests results back which clears her kidneys and her liver. That's great news as the vet was quiet concerned it may of been one of those. Now we are waiting on a phone call for the rest of the results. He first dismissed that it was stress related but now said maybe since those initial bloods were ok. She has medicine to make her want to eat again. Fingers crossed. Waiting anxiously for this phone call!

Yes she was her usual self before the incident. The Vet called not long ago and gave us some good news that her bloods are fine. Something was low but not a big deal. So it's stress and I know how she feels sad She's asleep on my lap atm and I'm not letting my girls anywhere near her unless I'm there. The vet sells those plug in things for $90 so I will try and see where the cheapest place is to buy them, maybe online? I'm so upset my poor furbaby is going through this. She's such a gentle beautiful natured cat. Love her so much.

I work as a vet nurse and find the feliway diffuser (the plug in thing) works really well. It would be cheaper on the net and once you have the diffuser part you only need to buy the refills which are cheaper. I think each refill lasts about a month. We also stock a new product called calmex which is a liquid and the main ingredient is kava it seems to be selling well with good results.
I have used Feliway for my cat, but I didn't use the diffuser, I just used the spray. I just sprayed in on stuff that she went near all the time. It certainly helped her, and once she calmed and felt better, she didn't need it all the time. The diffuser is expensive if you might not need it long term. I would have got the diffuser if she had needed it for longer, but there was no need.

Great news about the results and the good thing is you now know how you can help her! And boy I didn't realise those diffusers were so expensive! I'm sure mum wouldn't have paid that much! Def have a look online!
Good on you for taking in a rescued cat! They can be a little bit harder due to their background. Our cat is from the SPCA and we now know how she got there, she is never home! Worse thing is the elderly couple next door are letting her in their house and because they are home more than we are, she is there for company. She was coming home for dinner, snuggles on couch and to sleep on the bed but she has stopped that. I suspect they are feeding her now even though I've dropped many hints to them!

She decided she'd like to sleep in our WIR tonight so I tucked her in the corner, kissed her goodnight and left the door open a bit. I did a quick google on those feliway diffusers and apparently the refills fit in a morteen mosquito diffuser and that makes it's a lot cheaper. I'll read about it properly tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's concerns and advise.

Handy tip to save money using the Morteen diffuser fits perfectly with the feliway refill cost me $55 all up. My vet was the cheapest for the refill at $45 but next time I could order online to save another $7. Pays to ask cos a big chain pet supplies store is charging $65 just for the refills.

Sign in to follow this topic