Huggies Forum

Do you make your hubby's lunch? Rss

So do any of you make a packed lunch for your hubby to take to work each day? I don't and it's one thing that bugs my hubby a bit. He would really love it if I made his lunch each day. But I never have - well maybe once or twice under duress smile.

I think my mum's attitude to it when I was growing up may have influenced me. I strongly remember as a tween seeing her resentfully slapping our lunches together late at night. She was tired, sighing and over it and it was just yet another chore to do before she could collapse into bed (she had 3 kids and worked as a cleaner as well).

So I always resolved that my hubby is perfectly capable of making his own and he doesn't make mine for me soooooo that's that. I have enough on my plate never mind making lunches at the end of a long day too.

I have no problem taking care of all other aspects of the household duties even though I work part time too but for some reason I dig my toes in on that one! I even bake home made bread for him every couple of days as he is on a special diet to control his auto-immune disease so it's not like he's neglected or anything.

How about you?

Nope! I will lovingly put leftovers in a container for him to take to work. Does that count? laugh

I have baked something for him a couple of times, but that's it. As far as I'm concerned he's a big boy and can make his own lunch!

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I do, usually its just left overs but on thurdsays( sport days) I pack 2 sandwiches with leftovers on it lol. Before kids when I used to work, I never did he always made a huge pile of vegemite sandwiches and froze them for the week.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

When we first got married that was my attitude too! Make your own, imagine my mum having had to make 13 lunches plus hubbies a day. Those with capable hands should do it them selves. Lol and that is where the problem is, his hands are not so capable, the mess he leaves behind just wasn't worth it after a while so when he moved onto long hours one time I started doing it for him and it has stuck since...
vkw wrote:
I do, usually its just left overs but on thurdsays( sport days) I pack 2 sandwiches with leftovers on it lol. Before kids when I used to work, I never did he always made a huge pile of vegemite sandwiches and froze them for the week.

Now that is a clever dude, thinking to freeze his lunch in advance!

Yeah looking back now, I think it may have started with me because I worked full time when we got married and I thought nope stuff it if I'm working full time you can make your own. I didn't see why just because I didn't have a doodle I should have to make his lunch since we were both working (me actually more than him at the time as he's self employed so can knock off whenever he wants - he def does not do a 40 hour week).

But then once I had my son I still resisted doing it as I was exhausted and focused on looking after my newborn. And then I just never did it LOL! I always had an excuse and now I work part time so yeah...it's not going to happen.

mum2all wrote:
When we first got married that was my attitude too! Make your own, imagine my mum having had to make 13 lunches plus hubbies a day. Those with capable hands should do it them selves. Lol and that is where the problem is, his hands are not so capable, the mess he leaves behind just wasn't worth it after a while so when he moved onto long hours one time I started doing it for him and it has stuck since...

AY?! Did your mum have 13 kids?! Holy mackerel gasp

I do hear you on the mess. Often hubby would leave a big mess on the bench. He likes to make his lunch in the morning when he's in a rush......

He's gotten heaps better now and mostly will tidy up after himself unless he is running very late. I do make a point of asking him to make sure he cleans up on days I'm at work so I don't come home after a long day to a filthy kitchen. That is my pet peeve.

I've given up on my hubby cleaning up after himself lol
Jas. wrote:
No way, same thing goes for dinner laugh

LOL Jas

Zinkles wrote:
Nope! I will lovingly put leftovers in a container for him to take to work. Does that count? laugh

Yes. Yes it does smile

No, I don't even cook dinner, so I wouldn't even know where to begin with lunch!
Nope. Have a few times. Hubby goes through fazes though of making his own lunch and then gets lazy so just buys lunch for a couple of months instead.

Alien Squid wrote:
Mum used to make our lunches on a Friday night, including dads'. They were put into separate containers with our names on them, in the freezer. She would grab one out of each container in the mornings & put it into the appropriate lunch boxes.

I make Mr Aliens' lunches most of the time & usually the night beforehand. Where he works there is no shop even close by. It is physical work, so at least I know he is eating & having water. Plus, he earns to $$$, gets up early, so making his lunch is the least I can do to help him out. smile

See, your mum was smart. I'm going remember the freezer trick when it comes to making my son's school lunches in the future!

That's nice of you to make your hubby's lunch. I personally don't feel the same way about it being the least I can do.....possibly because I do all the other household stuff and also contribute financially to the household. Also, he's his own boss and sleeps in in the mornings (whereas I get up at 5.30am on my work days and commute into the city) and his work is manual but not heavy labour. So I think I feel justified in letting him do it himself as he's not really too hard done by hehe smile. But you sound like a lovely wife, I'm sure your hubby appreciates your kindness.

Sign in to follow this topic