Huggies Forum

Has anyone had a tummy tuck? Rss

So after 2 kids via c/s my I've got a little extra weight around the middle. As I'm losing weight instead of coming back in, my tummy is going down. It's starting to become an apron. I've still got another 15 kg I want to shift so it's probably going to get worse. A quick consult with the physio/sports therapist and it don't look like any amount of exercise will tighten the skin.

Has anyone had a tummy tuck or would you consider it? DH has agreed to let me get it done once I reach my target weight or close to. I have not had a bikini body since I was 16 and I don't really want one. I just want to buy clothes like every one else and not have to "disguise" my tummy. I practically live in those wide elastic waisted yoga pants. You know the ones that hold every thing in place so it doesn't move when you walk. It also feels really uncomfortable to exercise.
Better start saving up those dollars.

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

I'm intending to have a tummy tuck after this baby whenever we can afford it. I lost all my baby weight but ended up with a really large muscle separation that physio was unable to fully correct and I have lots of loose skin. Like you I just want to be able to buy nice clothes and feel confident in them. I'm an otherwise petite size 6 - 8 with slim shoulders and buying larger, tummy concealing clothes that don't swim on me is difficult. I'll probably get my boobs done too while I'm at it smile

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I have looked into it as I have gone from 110kgs to 59kgs and had two babies as well. But I was put off by the surgeon I saw. He only really does them for patients that have skin issues from folds or are hugely affected by it, as it is not the solution many people think it will be. It's major surgery, massive. Much bigger and more painful than a cs. No driving, no lifting children for six weeks, no exemptions, as a minimum. It's very painful too and you can expect a large scar and swelling for at least twelve months too.

My tummy is loose and I hate the way it moves when I exercise as it's uncomfortable, but I have got high waisted skins and I live with it. Unless it was massively affecting the quality of my life physically (I do struggle with it mentally - but I probably need to address that in another way), I would think very seriously about it. It's also massively expensive sad

Clax wrote:
I have looked into it as I have gone from 110kgs to 59kgs and had two babies as well.
Well done going from 110kg to 59kgs. I wish I could do something simillar. I'm 90ish would love to get under 70kgs. I think I'd get my boobs fixed if I could afford.

I have had a tummy tuck primarily to repair severe muscle separation and repair hernias, but also to remove the saggy skin left after having 2 children that no amount of crunches can repair.

given the separation etc I was able to get some of the operation paid by medicare but I went through a private plastic surgeon so was out of pocket quite a bit (about $5k).

very painful recovery, lots of swelling etc, but so worth it.
Pinkie Pie wrote:
Clax wrote:
I have looked into it as I have gone from 110kgs to 59kgs and had two babies as well. Well done going from 110kg to 59kgs. I wish I could do something similar. I'm 90ish would love to get under 70kgs. I think I'd get my boobs fixed if I could afford.

I had a gastric sleeve done. I was just getting bigger and bigger and was stuck in a destructive cycle of yoyo dieting. My obesity also affected my ability to conceive. But I am now a yoga loving, runner, who mostly eats whole, organic foods. I rarely eat meat and cook everything from scratch. I love wearing a 8-10, but I also prolonged my life considerably, and hope to be a healthy role model for my girls smile

^Mumto2Ts^ wrote:
I have had a tummy tuck primarily to repair severe muscle separation and repair hernias, but also to remove the saggy skin left after having 2 children that no amount of crunches can repair.

given the separation etc I was able to get some of the operation paid by medicare but I went through a private plastic surgeon so was out of pocket quite a bit (about $5k).

How old were your kids when you had the op? How long before you could lift them, do housework, do usual every day stuff? How does the scar look now? Sorry to ask lots of questions, but I've never spoken to someone who has actually done it

Skubala wrote:
How old were your kids when you had the op? How long before you could lift them, do housework, do usual every day stuff? How does the scar look now? Sorry to ask lots of questions, but I've never spoken to someone who has actually done it

kids were 3 and 4 so old enough not to be upset if not lifted. I was doing housework (slowly) about 2 weeks in. it is more the swelling that was annoying. I went back to work 2 weeks after at my office job. was still painful but just towards the end of the day from being up and about. the swelling is the worst part of the whole thing cos that takes quite a while to settle down. 6 - 12 months of swelling but really only something you notice, not anyone else. you will have loose pants in the morning and they will tight as by the evening.

I am just past 12 months and the scar looks really good. faded heaps. my surgeon said I scarred really well and probably after 2 or 3 years it will be barely visible. it does not hurt at all now but I still get a little tightness there sometimes if I have done too much so I feel like there is still some healing going on but no pain.

yes it does hurt, especially coughing, sneezing and stuff as your muscles start to learn how to behave again. but it is worth it.

happy to answer any queries.
Thanks for your reply... does not sound like something to jump into without a lot of thought and consideration! I'm a nurse so would probably need a longer amount of time off work. In my mind my plan was to do this when my youngest is 2 - 3 years old and take about 6 weeks off work. Whilst the loose skin bothers me, my main motivation for doing it is the back and core instability from having such large abdo separation. I'm 15 wks pregnant at the moment and already I can see my muscles are struggling to hold it all together!

I guess I still have a few years to think about it, but good to hear the experience of someone who has been there and done that smile

yeah, being a nurse you will need a bit more time. mine was a desk job so there was no strenuous activity so not a big deal going back.

once i was given the go ahead to start exercising again, which was after 6 weeks, i started a core strengthening class which i still do each week. makes a big difference having the muscles back together and working as they should.

good luck!
^Mumto2Ts^ wrote:

Thanks for all the info and personal experience. I am decided. It's what I want. Not for another yr I think. When bub is about 2 and before I plan to go back to work. We don't want anymore kids so that won't be an issue either. Best I get some top health cover laugh

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

Sign in to follow this topic