Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Gov't scrapping Advisory Panel for marketing Infant Formula.

Gov't scrapping Advisory Panel for marketing Infant Formula. Lock Rss

Appalling decision. I don't think it will save money in real terms either, just defer the cost sad

Thats a stupid decision. You have to remember a lot of formula companies are huge FMCG firms like Nestle. Do you really think they are best left to their own devises?
That said we can only hope they take a stand to always continue the breast is best message.

Yep! I guess that's just an ultra bonus for them! Not only are they saving on wages, building rental, phone rental... the list goes on! They are also making money in the extra taxes they will receive from the increased formula sales!

sad They have also scrapped the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee too...
I can feel myself being sucked back into the 80's...

Hopefully the work of other organisations like ABA and hospitals who are part of the BFHI can continue to promote the message enough that new mums are well informed

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

wacko blegh. I feel sick.
omg Abbott strikes again. This is awful news if this goes ahead. I guess look out for the formula samples in the mail right after you give birth. Yep I find this a little sickening.

Alien Squid wrote:
Considering I've never heard of the advisory panel & rarely a good word about the ABA, I don't see it as a big deal.

Protection should be about giving information from both sides, not just ignoring formula.

My thoughts exactly smile
Little Miss's wrote:
The problem is that there are now no rules for formula companies, they are a law unto themselves. They don't care about given correct information, they are a company to make money. As I said I have no problems with mothers choosing formula but they need to be correctly informed, I'm sure you will now be seeing infant formula advertised on tv, whereas before they weren't allowed to advertise. They won't promote that breastmilk is best which it is, there is no denying it, and that formula is a good option for those that can't. They will now be allowed to say that formula is as good!

Ah, ok I get what you're saying. I guess I just feel that in this day and age with all the gp or midwife or OBGYN check ups you get through pregnancy and all the Info available to new mums and midwives advice in hospital and mcn appointments that it is common knowledge that breast milk is definitely best for babies, without question.. It even says that on the formula can. I guess I just thought that everyone would be aware of that, despite whether formula companies advertise or not. maybe that's naive on my part though...
80sBaby wrote:
*misskel* wrote:
Little Miss's wrote:
The problem is that there are now no rules for formula companies, they are a law unto themselves. They don't care about given correct information, they are a company to make money. As I said I have no problems with mothers choosing formula but they need to be correctly informed, I'm sure you will now be seeing infant formula advertised on tv, whereas before they weren't allowed to advertise. They won't promote that breastmilk is best which it is, there is no denying it, and that formula is a good option for those that can't. They will now be allowed to say that formula is as good!

Ah, ok I get what you're saying. I guess I just feel that in this day and age with all the gp or midwife or OBGYN check ups you get through pregnancy and all the Info available to new mums and midwives advice in hospital and mcn appointments that it is common knowledge that breast milk is definitely best for babies, without question.. It even says that on the formula can. I guess I just thought that everyone would be aware of that, despite whether formula companies advertise or not. maybe that's naive on my part though...

I agree with you misskel, but I think the issue is that it doesn't have to say so on the can anymore and that's where the problem lies. At the moment everyone knows breast is best because it is promoted that way plus formula companies have laws preventing them from saying formula is but now they can if they please. I don't think people base their decision on whether a can has some fine print typed onto it somewhere so I don't think it will make a huge difference to breastfeeding rates even if they don't have those msgs anymore.

Yep, it was this advisory panel that implemented the "breast is best" message on cans of formula. It was law, once they have free reign who knows what they will say to get new vulnerable mothers to use their products- not for the best interest of the baby but for the best interest of themselves.

eta- I guess be prepared to be bombarded with formula advertising, the same way junk food would be promoted.

My_little_dazzler wrote:
Tickled*pink wrote:
I personally don't have a problem with it. It wasn't that long ago that they took down and removed formula advertising. I remember reading a parenting mag that mentioned they wouldn't be allowed to advertise formula anymore and because of this they were also limiting their advertising of bottles, which I thought was a bit much, tbh.

Advertising is a PITA full stop. I have a love hate relationship with advertising propaganda. This is probably why I don't care about formula advertising. They cant say anything that is false. They can and probably will twist some things to make it seem like something that isn't true, but if you break down the words- they wont be lying wink

At the hospital they discuss the benefits of bf. There are many, many women out there that don't want to bf- and those women are still around without all the formula ads. Sometimes bf doesn't work out and sometimes you just don't want to bf.

They're allowed to spend their money on advertising and make a profit. It's how the business world works.

I wouldn't liken formula to junk food. It's far from it.

For the most part- everyone on here doesn't care how you feed your baby as long as you do. Yet a lot of people seem to have an issue with formula advertising. I find that odd.

Oh god +1000000000000000000000

I was thinking exactly this but just didn't know how to say it. So many people are all for " As long as baby is happy and fed who cares " yet have issues when it can be advertised and comparing it to junk food.

Totally agree with both of you. Hospitals, doctors and anti natal classes will still promote Breast is best and the ABA. But at the end of the day it is a choice and if people choose to bottle feed that it up to them.

I just want to say that as a mum who bottle fed all my kids and was advised to do that by the hospital for my situation and the best interest of my babies. It was very hard to find accurate information about bottle feeding and formulas. I hope that this may now make the information easier to find so for us mother who are advised or choose to bottle feed can make an informed decision on what formula is best for them.

Little Miss's wrote:
I actually think that on this site that people are really positive towards formula feeding but as soon as someone mentions anything about breastfeeding all the FF mums get all defensive and ark up at the Bfing mums. I find a lot of posts that have nothing to do with breast vs formula ( such as this) get all the formula mums up in arms and take it as a direct attack on them. It's not debating what women choose to do, just the way it's going to be advertised. No one said formula feeding is bad and I don't think this will help FF information at all, I think it will make it harder as they will have to wade through the crap to find correct info.

LM, I find you and I have the same view on most things around here but I'd have to disagree with this ^^. I think, with the exception of a few, this site is pro-choice and supportive of both methods of feeding. I don't think this had turned into a bf vs ff debate at all, I think it's just some mums think it's a terrible decision that will affect bf rates and some don't smile (I'm pretty sure tickled pink bf's..?) For me personally Im just saying that no amount of advertising would sway my decision on how I choose to feed my baby, it's my choice, my baby I'll decide, I don't care what the advertising companies come up with!! So it's not a big deal to me. And the bf/ff topic will always be a hot one no matter what format the issue comes up in. It's been a great thread though, lots of different and opinions and points of view smile
Sign in to follow this topic