Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

the bad present thread!! Rss

Of course we are all grateful for our gifts but who got some really bad, not very well thought out gifts for themselves or kids??
My pet peeve is HUGE presents that take up too much space in my small house. Specifically told MIL not to buy anything big because I don't have space. She bought huge gifts. A boxing bag for DH which I have no idea where to put so it's in the garage and this massive rocking horse type thing for dd! I got mostly anything she could find on sale.
I feel bad giving it away but I never know what to do with her gifts!! I have told her what I want before but she's never listened.
Ok your turn!? What did you get that you have no idea what to do with?

A bean bag and a mini arm chair for DS. They are lovely, but like you we have a small house and don't really have room for them and DS is not keen on them at all, maybe in a few years, so they will clutter up our house until then smile
Ungratefulness over!

Yep totally get it. I actually ask her to get one thing but instead she buys a million bits of junk. I'd rather she not spend the money and just get dd a few items of decent clothing or money for her account. She's too young to appreciate toys. As for me and dh well she always buys us BIG things on sale. No thought at all as to whether we'll use it. I'd rather nothing to be honest. Happy for dd to just get a gift

The in laws do a $50 kk, I always try hard to buy a present to really suit the person I get, but never get great presents in return (I know its not about the gift, but it would be nice to get something great one day), anyway, this year husbands auntie had me, and I got soap I won't be able to use as its too perfumed, some sponge type thing to wash with and a heat bag that I'll never use as I already have 3 I don't use.
I know I sound ungrateful, but you'd think after knowing me for 10yrs, they'd be able to buy something that would be perfect for me...oh well, next year I think we're donating the money to something like Oxfam, to buy goats and chickens instead of getting each other pressies - I'd much rather that as I wouldn't feel like the money was wasted.

We got given sheets. Nice, except for the fact that we have so many pairs of summer sheets already, and they were king instead of queen *sigh*
They are a really nice colour though.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

my FIL gave us a second hand single bed for the new baby due in feb! bought is over home and realised we had no where to store it and it wasn't going to fit in the room with DD anyway!!!

He then gave us cash for xmas and said I have taken off the amount for the bed.. so normally he gives about $100 and we got $80 cos he charged us for a bed we cant use!!!! hahaha smile

best part is I sold the bed online and it was taken away the next day.. haven't quite told the FIL that yet!
Quick Sticks wrote:
It drives me crazy when you say not to get something and they get it anyway!

My DH and I both told my Mil not to buy me underwear this year. She buys me the worst underwear that I won't wear and I just donate to an OP shop. So what does she buy... The underwear! I open the present and she says I know you said don't buy it but I know you love it so much. I don't know how many times I have told her, and this year she brought me 6 pairs!

That is so funny! I hate to think what sort of underwear my MIL would buy smile

Hahaha who buys an adult woman underwear!?
Mil also got us a massive baking tray that's too big for our oven. I told her and she goes "thats ok use it on the bbq!" Ahhh so now its with the other presents of hers (theres about 6 more huge items) in the room I was going to turn into a play room but is now full of presents in boxes. I tell her over and over not to buy all this stuff!

Sil bought ds2 a "clean shopper" trolley cover and a size 6 rashie , gah never gonna use the clean shopper as he rarely comes grocery shopping with me (not to mention that its a silly present for an almost 2 year old) and he's still in size one clothes so the rashie won't fit for 3-4 more years. I think she gets things on sale or or who knows the clean shopper looks like it could have come from the op shop, the carboard inside the packet was all bent.

Hubbys auntie gave DS a pillow pet for christmas. Only problem is its pink and purple and shapped like a butterfly. Hmmmmm...... im sure DS is a boy and not a girl. Lucky the next one is a girl so i have put it aside for her.

doublewammy wrote:
Sil bought ds2 a "clean shopper" trolley cover and a size 6 rashie , gah never gonna use the clean shopper as he rarely comes grocery shopping with me (not to mention that its a silly present for an almost 2 year old) and he's still in size one clothes so the rashie won't fit for 3-4 more years. I think she gets things on sale or or who knows the clean shopper looks like it could have come from the op shop, the carboard inside the packet was all bent.

I'm sure your 2 yo was thrilled with that gift. I like rashies and towels etc as gifts but I too got 3 beach towels for dd. They were all nice gifts so I'll just keep those in the linen closet for later, pprobably 3-4 years also!

steph19 wrote:
doublewammy wrote:
I'm sure your 2 yo was thrilled with that gift. I like rashies and towels etc as gifts but I too got 3 beach towels for dd. They were all nice gifts so I'll just keep those in the linen closet for later, pprobably 3-4 years also!

and they wonder why he wasn't interested in it! the rashie was a good one, just annyoying that I have to store it for a few Ye!rsl and ill probably forget about it by then. towels ar good too, you'll get to use them before you know it

Sign in to follow this topic