Huggies Forum

Lucnhboxes Lock Rss

Going off little Miss's school lunch thread I would like to know what kind of lunchbox you got for your school child. Especially those of you who have been through a couple what is better- the hard plastic ones? The soft, insulated ones? The ones with compartments? The ones that all click together? I can't believe how many types there are and to be honest, as pathetic as it is, I am confused as to what to buy! Any recommendations?
80sBaby wrote:
I've always just bought the soft insulated ones, the insulation is my priority. And then anything inside it that could potentially get squashed is in a hard container inside that.

How well do they clean?
80sBaby wrote:
*misskel* wrote:
80sBaby wrote:
I've always just bought the soft insulated ones, the insulation is my priority. And then anything inside it that could potentially get squashed is in a hard container inside that.

How well do they clean?

Lol. The ones that zip right open are fine to clean, it's all waterproof plastic.

Why the lol??? Is my OCD-ness about cleanliness that transparent??!!

I have this thought that because they're soft, and not hard plastic that can be easily washed daily, and the fact that they always have food in them, that they will start to smell..

I like the insulation of the soft ones but the easy clean of the hard ones. Arghhhhhh, so confused!!!
My kids both have a decor fresh lunch set.
http://www.decor.com.au/usage/viewproducts.aspx...
Cj has been through so many lunch boxes cause he just throws his bag around & it's the best one I've found.
Keeps all the food cool & fresh. It's very hard to break & easy to clean. I love it so much I bought a pink one for boo for preschool. I have to add though I don't use the drink bottle in the lunch box I find it takes most of the room.

This could be the answer to my dilemma, it's got the best of both worlds!! Where did you buy yours from?
*misskel* wrote:
Cj has been through so many lunch boxes cause he just throws his bag around & it's the best one I've found.
Keeps all the food cool & fresh. It's very hard to break & easy to clean. I love it so much I bought a pink one for boo for preschool. I have to add though I don't use the drink bottle in the lunch box I find it takes most of the room.

This could be the answer to my dilemma, it's got the best of both worlds!! Where did you buy yours from?

Woolworths it was just under $15 smile

Excellent, thank you so much smile smile

These are what we have bought our kids for the last two years and they are great. Pretty tough too.

Woolies have them for $10 but they only tend to stock them at back to school time!

Can't stand the soft ones. They get smelly, grotty and are hard to clean, especially if you need to wash and use again the next day.
I love the tupperware ones. Have used the same ones for a couple of years now (I rotate them). So easy to keep clean - I throw in the dishwasher every night. No need for little containers. Also, if anything goes wrong with the container they will replace it.

http://www.tupperware.com.au/product-gallery/sa...
Just a question about hard lunchboxes, does the lunch stay cool?

At this stage (for childcare) I've just used the soft ones and just wash them in the sink every day/few days. I use a hard container/s inside and haven't had a problem with losing any. In winter I have been unsure if they'd dry by the next morning so might just wipe the inside and let air dry those days. Or we've always had a few spares so just rotate if one urgently needs a good wash. I also put a nudie ice brick which comes with a sock kind of cover to keep everything cool. Works for us.
mudpies wrote:
Can't stand the soft ones. They get smelly, grotty and are hard to clean, especially if you need to wash and use again the next day.

I kinda get what you're saying but with these ones from Woolies I have not really had many leaks as the lunchbox inside usually contains any spills. We have had probably two leaks/child/year so pretty good. I guess it depends what your child decids to bring home. DS1 decided to bring opened yoghurt back a couple of times and it did leak out of the lunchbox one day into the soft cover but as it's fully lined I just wiped it out.

Although it says wipe clean I just put all the covers in the washing machine at the end of each term and they've come out as good as new each time.

It probably helps that we do have a couple of these per child so if we do need to wash it, there is a spare, but at $10 each, we are happy to buy a couple per child.

I found that without using a soft cover, things in the kids bags would get wet from the condensation. Is there some trick to it?

we had an insulated one and it just got destroyed so we are now trying a metal tin one. she loves it and so easy to wipe clean
doublewammy wrote:
Just a question about hard lunchboxes, does the lunch stay cool?

Depends how you store it. At our school most rooms have bag storage inside or at least give kids the option to bring lunchboxes inside. It gets very hot here. There's enough space for the small icepacks in the Tupperware ones or a frozen prima/juice box. You can even freeze the squeezy yogurt/fruit packs to help keep lunch cold and give them a snack at the same time.
Our school has a fruit snack at 10 am, lunch at 11 am and "fruit break" (meant to be a healthy snack) at 2 pm. Thus lunch doesn't have to stay super cold all that long.
Sorry for the novel, hope it helps!
Sign in to follow this topic