Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

underweight Lock Rss

Hi everyone. I haven't been here in a while but thought I'd come and try to get some advice or suggestions.

This is a post about me wanting to gain weight. I know a lot of others may have the opposite issues so please no comments about how I am lucky etc. Sorry if that sounds snappy but you'd be surprised how many people seem to think that being underweight is a good thing or at least not as bas as being overweight. It just annoys me sometimes.

Anyway I have always been small build but lately I feel like I am skinnier than I've been before. Not sure how to explain it it's just a feeling I have. My clothes are a bit bigger than they were not massively but enough for me to notice. When I was pregnant with my first child I was actually excited about putting on a little weight but it went pretty quickly after DS was born . Same as when DD was born.

I found a BMI calculator online and being about 150cm tall aand roughly weighing 40kg it said I was underweight.

It's not that I don't eat or anything like that. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full like most people. I could probably eat a bit healthier. I do not and have never had an eating disorder. I just seem to have a fast motabilism. I don't exercise except for walking which we do at least once or twice a week. Usually up a hill pushing two kids in a pram which is pretty hard.

Has anyone else had issues with being underweight? If so what did you do?

I was thinking of seeing my GP but figured I would wait til next Monday as DD is due for her 18 month needles and it would be easier to get the two appointments together.
I had this problem before having froggy and since then I've been in the healthy weight range, so I can't tell you what I did exactly, I think my body just got with the program, so to speak.

It is hard to know what to suggest when I don't know what your diet is like now. I think things that I added to my diet after having froggy and perhaps helped were things like avocados, eggs, more butter and I drink a lot more milk. Not necessarily full fat all the time. I prefer full fat though lol. Eating badly might not be helping. I find the weight drops off me when I'm eating badly, but I feel worse so don't want to exercise which of course is worse again.

Another thing I've noticed is that my serving sizes have always been smaller than everyone else. I stop eating when I'm full. I always take a decent amounts of time to eat because I know it takes at least ten minutes for your stomach to tell your brain it is full. When I was pregnant I was suddenly eating a giant sausage roll, a big donut and 600 ml flavoured milk EASILY. That was completely unfathomable before falling pregnant (and there is no way I could do it now lol) so perhaps try to up your serving size?

A friends mum always struggled to lose weight and she could never work out why because they ate so healthy. The doctor saw their portion sizes and couldn't believe she couldn't work it out. They were just massive plates. So much food. You can eat healthy as much as you want but you have to stop when you're full! Sorry, going in the opposite direction of the thread now.... laugh

Definitely see your gp when you go in for her check up. Good luck.
Hi there smile
Do you feel as though you have any digestive issues or food intolerances?
According to my BMI I'm also classified as underweight, I think its partially due to having problems digesting grains, so
I'm in the process of eliminating all grains. I'm currently on the full GAPS diet but I haven't gone through the different phases yet because I'm breast feeding. Once my little one weans I'm on a mission to improve my gut health.
Getting your thyroid checked is always a good idea too.
Some people are just naturally slight. It's busy being a mum and that too can take its toll.
Take care

I am kitty wink

Could be thyroid or celliac disease? Good idea to see doctor to rule out health issues. I have a friend who is tiny and doesn't matter what she does she stays that way.

Dd's dietician gave us a list of calorie enhancing foods which has been put up on the fridge, once any health issues have been ruled out you could try incorporating more of these foods in your daily diet?

http://tinypic.com/m/i1cjus/3

Ok so that picture didnt work, click on the link instead!
hi guys sorry I didn't come back earlier. was gonna book in to see my GP when DD got her needles but my GP is on holidays for 2 weeks. Could have booked in to see someone else but id rather see my doctor as that's who I am comfortable with. So i'll make an appointment in 2 weeks.

As for the weight issue I have thought about it and I think it could be stress related as well as my eating habits. I've always been small but its recently (last few months) that I've felt like I am losing too much weight. I just don't feel comfortable with my body anymore if that makes sense.

I've been breastfeeding DD for 18 months now but it is only in the last 2 months or so that I've noticed the change.

So i'll will look at changing my diet over the next 2 weeks to see if there is any change. I will still make an appointment with my doctor either way though.

thanks for all the feedback everyone

Sign in to follow this topic