Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

The Budget! Lock Rss

Who's worried?

Opinions?

Yes I am a bit worried, especially about the family tax benefit - we will find it really tight if that is cut.

Medicare co payments - I'm not too worried about this as we don't get bulk billed for most of our appointments anyway - paying $35 for each appointment and more out of hours!

I've missed alot of whats been going on lately - So not heaps sure if i should be worried or not :/
a little, but worrying wont do anything except stress yourself.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Yes worried, made a huge decision last year to become a SAHM.. Will mean i have to go back to work which will be harder now that i have the 3 kids to run around to different places.

I'm pretty excited about the nz budget - mainly because there is lots of talk on the news regarding extending the paid parental leave - this would be awesome for us smile fingers crossed for Thursday !

Cutting family tax was only a suggestion. I can't see them even remotely contemplating it. They would know that it would be an instant nail in the coffin for the party and would lead to many families on the street, an influx of help needed from charities who can barely even handle the need now. Libs are cold but not that cold.

I don't have any issues with the ideas for medicare, paying $15 to see a doctor is no big deal really although the original $6 they suggested would be a better idea for low income earners. Getting the rich off medicare is a great idea too though the threshold needs to be a bit higher.

End of the day we're in debt and they debt needs to be repaid. It sucks balls but what can you do.
Demonica18 wrote:
Cutting family tax was only a suggestion. I can't see them even remotely contemplating it. They would know that it would be an instant nail in the coffin for the party and would lead to many families on the street, an influx of help needed from charities who can barely even handle the need now. Libs are cold but not that cold.

I think the nailing down of the coffin has already begun wrt the Libs. This budget will just seal the deal. Unfortunately people forget and get sucked in by all the empty promises made during an election. Fx just a one term PM. So much wrong with what they're doing ATM.
I'm not really worried, I don't think it will affect us too much in the short term. We've made a plan for dh to stop fifo in the next 12-18mths so I guess we'll see, those plans might have to be pushed back depending on what changes are planned for family tax. I'm really disappointed that they're charging for going to the ER though.
doublewammy wrote:
Yes I am a bit worried, especially about the family tax benefit - we will find it really tight if that is cut.

Medicare co payments - I'm not too worried about this as we don't get bulk billed for most of our appointments anyway - paying $35 for each appointment and more out of hours!

I'm like you DW. The only things I know of at the moment that would really effect us is the FTB.

I was amazed when I moved to Sydney and you could actually go to the doctors for free. I just couldn't get my head around it. I don't think the cost ever made a difference if mum would take us to the doctor or not.

Ruby - Maybe they are charging for the ER to stop the tight arses who go there to save there few dollars from going to the GP. They are only charging for non urgent cases. I just guess who decides what's urgent and what's not!

Im a little worried, since my fiance (soon to be hubby this saturday) are having our first baby and i had to leave work since 28weeks pregnant due to swelling to the point im unable to walk some days. we have no idea how we will manage a one income budget until my parental leave begins once he is born.
~Ruby~Gloom~ wrote:

I think the nailing down of the coffin has already begun wrt the Libs. This budget will just seal the deal. Unfortunately people forget and get sucked in by all the empty promises made during an election. Fx just a one term PM. So much wrong with what they're doing ATM.
I'm not really worried, I don't think it will affect us too much in the short term. We've made a plan for dh to stop fifo in the next 12-18mths so I guess we'll see, those plans might have to be pushed back depending on what changes are planned for family tax. I'm really disappointed that they're charging for going to the ER though.

Well and truly begun agreed. I guess its hard though. We're in all this debt and they have no real idea of how to pay it back except for taking things away from us and then majorly charging on other things (like petrol which is already double taxed and about to have an even higher tax again). The silly thing is its a debt that was accumulated over a decade and they want to pay it back in a few years. Bloody ridiculous.
Im a sahm and my df is earning a low wage so we are a low income family. There was an estimate that a family earning $48,000 a year would lose $3,000. We don't have a spare $3000 to lose. Im not able to work as we cant afford day care, we cant even afford a family car atm. I understand cuts need to be made but to cut out FTB part B? My df and I don't go to the docs unless REALLY needed. My children go regularly, with one having a UTI nearly every mth and 2 of my kids being asthmatic. With electricity, water, public transport and car rego going higher I really don't know how we will cope

Sign in to follow this topic