Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Epidurals - please share your story, good or bad

Epidurals - please share your story, good or bad Lock Rss

Does anyone want to share their story of an epidural... I am thinking i want one this time round (i'm more scared of labour each time - weird) so am wanting to get as much feedback from people who have had them than just googling statistics..

Thank you

I have had two epidurals both with no problems , 1st was to be prep for emergency c sec a slight pop feeling in the back with no pain from needle , cuts all pain out from the waist down kind of feels like a numb bum and legs . My second epi i had no idea i even got givin it as i was rushed for an emergency c section both not an ounce of pain smile good luck doesn't make you any less of a women or mother if you do decide to have one smile
Thank you

I had one, before emergency c-section. i was heavily in labour and dont really remember it, just cursing at the doctors etc to not ut that thing in my back, then they said its either this or general, so i went with the spinal. i remember quite alot of people holding me down still so the anaesthetist didnt slip. it was horrible coz i just wanted to move with the contractions. this time i will be having an elective and hope i have a nicer experience

I had an epidural for my first, no regrets!! I was induced as I was overdue, and started feeling contractions (mostly in my back) when I was about 7cm - things got increasingly intense and very fast, and I ended up having an epidural when I was about 9cm. Having seen a lot of epidurals done and having friends who do them, I had no fears about it, and it was part of my plan if I wasn't managing with gas alone. The registrar who did mine was super fast and impressively managed to get it in between contractions - there was a small sting during the insertion and a sense of some gentle pushing, but it was barely noticeable compared to the contractions! I felt a fantastic sense of relief within minutes, but continued to use gas for maybe another 10minutes until the epidural took full effect. After that my back pain was gone and I felt much better in myself, and was still able to move my legs - could still feel tightenings on tummy but they were mild. I needed a top up maybe an hour or so later as contractions were getting much more intense again. I ended up having an emergency c-section as bubs had no interest in leaving after being 10cm for a couple of hours, so they just gave another top up dose prior to the operation. Only side effect for me was feeling quite shivery with the top ups which was quite weird, but didnt last too long. I was really happy with my experience and would do it again. grin Best wishes and good luck for a happy and healthy pregnancy! smile
love_my_munchkin wrote:
I had an epidural for my first, no regrets!! I was induced as I was overdue, and started feeling contractions (mostly in my back) when I was about 7cm - things got increasingly intense and very fast, and I ended up having an epidural when I was about 9cm. Having seen a lot of epidurals done and having friends who do them, I had no fears about it, and it was part of my plan if I wasn't managing with gas alone. The registrar who did mine was super fast and impressively managed to get it in between contractions - there was a small sting during the insertion and a sense of some gentle pushing, but it was barely noticeable compared to the contractions! I felt a fantastic sense of relief within minutes, but continued to use gas for maybe another 10minutes until the epidural took full effect. After that my back pain was gone and I felt much better in myself, and was still able to move my legs - could still feel tightenings on tummy but they were mild. I needed a top up maybe an hour or so later as contractions were getting much more intense again. I ended up having an emergency c-section as bubs had no interest in leaving after being 10cm for a couple of hours, so they just gave another top up dose prior to the operation. Only side effect for me was feeling quite shivery with the top ups which was quite weird, but didnt last too long. I was really happy with my experience and would do it again. grin Best wishes and good luck for a happy and healthy pregnancy! smile

That sounds like my experience!! all up my labour time was about 18 hours

Thank you for sharing your experiences smile

i have had 4 labours, the first two they broke my waters and only had pethedine and gas. The third was natural posterior birth and the 4th induced... i think i will definitely be researching this more.

Sign in to follow this topic