Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Opinons on $$ for engagement/weddings...

Opinons on $$ for engagement/weddings... Rss

I personally am not a fan of giving money because I think it makes people feel obligated to give more than they can afford.

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

I think it's rude personally. I wouldn't mind if I were to ask them what they needed and they said I could contribute or something, but to put it in the invitation seems rude to me.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

MissBEAUtiful wrote:
I personally am not a fan of giving money because I think it makes people feel obligated to give more than they can afford.

This too!

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I think it was a cultural thing that other cultures have kind of taken on a new level. I think it's a Greek tradition where they pin money to the brides dress? That kind of thing. BTW that would be so much fun I think.... laugh I would like them to pin little notes to me though- like advice or well wishes....Hm....i'm digressing as usual....

I don't really mind when it's a wedding, it leaves the option for me if I have NFI what to buy them. It's not that cool if they've had one for the engagement and then again for the wedding. Not sure why, but that is a bit off to me.
I don't really like it as well, I hardly ever give money but then I feel funny giving a present (although I normally do) and it's a good point about the money looking stingy amount but a present for the same amount would not

Going by a friends experience (she was married late last year) it was just assumed by all involved she would have a wishing well. By "all involved" I mean the venue, the lady she was hiring some décors from, etc.

The guests all brought envelopes with them, I think I saw maybe three or four wrapped gifts.
Cash I think is rude, a honeymoon register or specified voucher isn't as bad. I think it should be a suggestion not an expectation smile
So it seems as I first thought I just need to get over it smile This is the way it is now...
We put a note in ours to say we preferred money as we didn't need anything for house (as you normally get for weddings etc) but left it to the guests discretion, we also included a little bag in invite to put money in so it was anonymous and had a wishing well to put it all in. So we got values from $5 to $100 and cards and presents in our wishing well. Its a hard one as all you really want at your wedding is the guests that you have invited smile

hmmm yeah that makes it different we had lived together for about 6 years before we got married so was a bit different

I deleted my posts girls at the risk someone put it all together smile But still like discussing it!
*mummsy* wrote:
So it seems as I first thought I just need to get over it smile This is the way it is now...

While it seems to be the way it is now, it doesn't make it less rude (if you find it so) IYKWIM? If you want to get them a gift then go for it because at the end of the day they should be appreciative of anything they are given. It's a gift, not a right just because you're getting married.

Who knows what will be happening by the time our little ones are getting married, hey? lol
Sign in to follow this topic