Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

20 months child behaviour Rss

HI,

my 20 months old daughter has started to hit anyone who doesn't give her what she wants, especially if she doesn't get the mobile phone. This is getting really bad and I don't know what to do.

if she touches a book or paper and I tell her to put it back , mostly she wont listen then if she sees me coming she will try hard to rip the pages.....

how do I explain to her what she isn't allow to touch?

dose anyone have any advise?

At that age it's really just redirection and distraction. I'd probably be limiting contact with whoever she's learning the hitting behaviour from too.
Ds is 19 months old and we have just started using 'time in'. I have only used it a couple of times and its been for jumping on a friends sofa repeatedly and throwing toys at other chidren. When he did this he had to come and sit on my knee, while I explained to him that this wasn't nice behaviour, and then I kept him there for a bout a minute, which he didn't enjoy at all, then when released I re iterated that we don't throw toys/jump on the sofa. It took me doing it twice for him to stop doing it. I think that it worked really well, as the previous time we had been at this friends he repeatedly jumped on their sofa with me asking him not to, but this time, with time in he stopped the behaviour.
there are a couple of other ladies on here who use this time in, this is y first child and so don't have much experience, but it seemed to work really well. And both dh and I had discussed that ds was old enough to know that it was not acceptable to disrespect and hurt people and objects, and that we needed to get on top of it now.
I also distract as ruby Gloom has suggested.

Thanks for replying Ruby gloom and little egg.

I was already doing redirections and distractions ,and keep doing it
I will also try the time in technique and I am hoping it works on her .

Do u people get time to talk on the phone while ur toddler is around because I find it really hard , she keeps crying for the phone .
Thanks for replying Ruby gloom and little egg.

I was already doing redirections and distractions ,and will continue doing it .
I will also try the time in technique and I am hoping it works on her .

Do u people get time to talk on the phone while ur toddler is around because I find it really hard , she keeps crying for the phone .
At that age, thats pretty much what you need to do. I did that for pretty much all the time they were little.

it was hard to talk on the phone with 2 dogs that would do laps of the house whenever I was on it. It was hard to talk on the phone when my dd1 was a toddler and it certainly hasn't gotten easier as the kids have gotten older and siblings were born. Now I usually tell people to email me. grin Sorry, probably not what you want to hear!
My 2 year old is obsessed with my phone as there are a couple of games on there that he likes to play, which I'm ok with if I'm not using it. However, I also find it very hard to have phone conversations when he's around as he just loses it if it rings and I answer it. I just about have to run away from him as he wants that phone so bad.

Before I had kids I would always be amazed if I talked to someone on the phone and could hear their kids in the background going off and I'd wonder why they chose that time to make a phone call - well now I know, haha! smile
Sign in to follow this topic