Huggies Forum

Private health ? Lock Rss

Hi
So my question is private health ( for pregnancy and birth) or public
What did you do and what was the extra cost ?

I went private with both of mine.

With private you will have to pay your Obs. They usually have a fee that you pay about the 20 week mark. It is different for every obs. When you pay and also how much. You now only get a small portion back from Medicare. If you need to have an epidural or C-section you will have to pay the gap for the anaesthetist. The bonus is that you see the same person for each of your visits being the obs. and they should be at the birth as well. Also it depends on the level cover that you have with your health fund.

Public You usually don't pay anything but at each appointment you just see whoever is available on the day of your appointment and also for the birth you get whoever is on.

Good luck.

I am due in October and we decided to go public (Mercy Hospital, Heidelberg, Melbourne). I can't really comment on what going private is like but we have not regretted the decision and I feel like my level of care has been great. I was going to do shared care with my GP but it was easier to just have all my appointments at the hospital as I have been seeing the same obstetrician at each appointment. I do have an under active thyroid so maybe that is why I have had the same obs but there are quite a few different options at the hospital so I am sure you will be able to find an arrangement that you are happy with.
One thing I do have to say is that sometimes I have had to wait quite a long time to see the obs but most of the time it has been about 1hr. It does feel good to know that we have saved ourselves about $5000 which we can now spend on other things and I don't think our level of care will be any different. It will work out whatever you decide. Good luck!

Alex (my blog is mylittleoven.net)
I went private and have no regrets because my hospital was like a hotel and the local public hospital has a really bad rep!
I got:
- Choose my OB
- Saw my OB for all visits, i had to pay for each visit (around $70 after my rebate). He did however to an ultrasound at each visit if I wanted (at no extra charge) and he had a high end 3D ultrasound so that was great. He also gave me a USB with all of the pictures from the ultrasounds.
- I could call my OB directly for ANY stupid question. I was really against the idea of having to see different midwives/doctors at each visit as I find information gets missed as staff change. I know some hospitals have a midwife program where you chose 1 for the entire pregnancy but this wasn't an option at my local hospital, I would get care from whoever was available.
- My OB also checked on me everyday in hospital to see how i was doing which was nice.

I paid a management fee to my OB of around $2500, I hit the medicare levy though, so only paid around $1700 I think?? I also had a hospital excess of $500.

I then paid $900 for my epidural, but got most of this back.

In total I was probably out of pocket about $2500. I'll do it again the next time, same hospital, same OB.

I went private. I chose to do this as I was over 35 so although not high risk there were more risks associated. I wanted to have an OB the whole way through. The hospital was awesome and also located right next to the top public hospital if there had been significant complications.

I did have issues which I was in hospital for the week before bub was born and OB saw me every day and was in touch with hospital throughout each day.

Yes it did cost me like $5k out of pocket but well worth it for the peace of mind and care it gave me.

I would definitely go back to same OB and private hospital with my second
I went private. I chose to do this as I was over 35 so although not high risk there were more risks associated. I wanted to have an OB the whole way through. The hospital was awesome and also located right next to the top public hospital if there had been significant complications.

I did have issues which I was in hospital for the week before bub was born and OB saw me every day and was in touch with hospital throughout each day.

Yes it did cost me like $5k out of pocket but well worth it for the peace of mind and care it gave me.

I would definitely go back to same OB and private hospital with my second
We are going private at the Mater in Brisbane, as this is our first, I wanted the private room and the opportunity to stay at least 4 days with as much support in hospital before we are on our own!

Not entirely happy with my ob/gyn and by the time I decided this, we had already paid our 20 week management fee of $2600. Medicare rebated $500 of this. Prior to reaching the threshold, each appointment was $80 and $40 rebate from Medicare. The year for the threshold runs from Jan to Dec so any Drs apps from here to Dec for me, bub or hubby will have high rebates from Medicare (my appts now are only $7 out if pocket rather than $40).

We are covered privately but the hospital excess is $500. We will have to pay a paediatrician gap to check bub after the birth and possibly an anaesthetist if i have an epidural/emergency C. No idea of these gaps.

Even though I haven't had bub, next time around I think I will do shared care through my GP and go public (providing it's like this pregnancy with low risk).

My main reason for this is that you pay a premium price for private care here in Australia, yes the service should also be a premium but if it's a low risk all is going well pregnancy, you really are just another number. Blood pressure check, weight check, the odd ultrasound (my obs only did these when necessary even after I indicated I wanted to see bub more often at apps) and Doppler for heartbeat /tape measure for fundal height.

In labour, I expect it will be the midwives doing the hard yards and my ob/gyn will be there occasionally only.

If you do go private, shop around as I have now discovered there are the odd ob/gyn here in Brisbane that don't charge any management fee. Get in early though, and if you are not comfortable with your Ob/gyn, change before 20 weeks when the management fee is due.

All the best!
I have had three public pregnancy. And will go public again.

my first and last half of my 3rd was with a single midwife, (you can only be part of it if you have a low risk pregnancy and someone become high risk so a place opened up).
As i was inexperienced with my first it was really handy seeing the same person the whole pregnancy, have them as a direct contact for questions, at the birth and for the week+ after bub arrived.

With 2nd they give you a day of the week and a location and if you are good at keeping that day and location the chance of seeing the same midwife were higher but i had to mix it up a bit so at start of 3rd I got a student midwife who knew my history and was at all my appointments.
But got more rounded advice from seeing different midwife though.

In all 3 pregnancy's i have never had a long wait as the midwife meet in a separate building.

With first didn't need a birth plan as midwife knew what i wanted, and as nothing was set to paper and made it easier to be more flexible at the birth. And at my 2nd birth I was confident, (knew the process) and my birth plan was simple flexible and easily followed so had no dramas. used the same plan for third again no dramas

in all of my birth I have only seen 2 doctors, 1st one was when they put the name tags on my first and 2nd time was when i was discharged from the ward after my 2nd (they had to check that i hadn't gone into shock after the quick birth). Only midwifes at my births.
I work as an RN in a private hospital so knew exactly who I wanted as my OB. So I went to him and paid $2800 of which I got just over $400 back from Medicare. However, I was not about to have my baby in the hospital I work in - I don't need people I see in the corridor seeing all that! So I had my baby at the public hospital up the road as a private patient. Because I was still a private patient I had one booking in appointment at the hospital but the rest were with my OB and his midwife. I didn't pay anything for the hospital or the epidural. The midwife I had at the hospital was great and my OB came in at 4am for the exciting part.

So, no the public hospital was not as nice or glamorous as the one I work in but it wasn't bad either. The food wasn't great but I wasn't eating much yet anyway (vomited 6 times during the labour!) so it didn't really matter. The important part was that I was well looked after and had my OB there for the important parts.

Really its up to you. I think the most important part of going private is choosing your OB - you want someone you totally trust in case something goes wrong at any point.

Good luck!
Been twice as a private patient in private hospital was great. This time as i had taken obstetrics off my health insurance i couldnt go to the private hospital. So have the same dr as before $4000, all u/sounds $280 each time but also have to pay to go to the public hospital $1300 per night after delivery ( dont even pay that at the Hilton!) has cost me more in the end and can only afford to stay 1 night after the csection as am not made of money and medicare does not cover u at all if u bring ur own dr into the public hospital. Not entirely sure what will happen if there is some sort of complication after delivery and i really need to stay as i dont have that sort of cash to stay and as it is obstetric related my health insurance wont pay but neither will medicare, really should have just gone public which would have been all free and could stay in the hospital for free as long as i needed and saved myself the cash and stress of knowing that im on my own 24 hours after a csection- pretty daunting! Basically you are punished for saving the govt money by paying for ur own dr you are then expected to pay thousands to stay in the public hospital that public patients get for free - really not right! My advice get full insurance and wait the wait period then conceive or go thru the public system entirely.

Thank you everyone for your replies . I ask this because iv had 3 baby 1 stillborn this year at 39weeks and the hospital I had her at was good I was in the VBAC program so seem 3 different midwifes through out the hole pregnancy my GP has recommended I go private this next time so I can the same ob the hole time but I don't have private health yet and I was just looking into it most have a 12 month wait till your covered I'm not sure if that just for the birth ?

I want the best care and more ultrasound this time I would say I will be high risk at a public hospital I would go to. Iv had two baby's at King Edward memorial and they where great there.

Just. Seeing what other peoples experiences have been like

If a future pregnancy is likely to be high risk then really King Eddy is going to be the best place for you. Give yourself some time, sorry for the loss of your babe.
Sign in to follow this topic