Huggies Forum

paying the babysitter! Rss

Hi all,
Just wondering what you think is an acceptable rate to pay a teenage babysitter?
I have a babysitter organised for watching my toddler next fri night but not sure what the going rate is these days.
My son will hopefully be asleep so it'll be pretty straight forward for her, no hard work getting him to bed etc and would be for approx 4.5hrs. No idea what to pay her!
I would probably pay her $50, $10 an hour...
I pay ours $10 / hr and leave a packet of chips or chocolate out for her and say just to help herself to anything
Wow, I got $15 an hour 25 years ago, I was 15

We paid ours $30 the other night for 1.5 hours. Both kids were in bed and she sat on the sofa and did her homework for $20 an hour...
Supermummy wrote:
We paid ours $30 the other night for 1.5 hours. Both kids were in bed and she sat on the sofa and did her homework for $20 an hour...

Seems pretty fair to me smile

Tarajs01 wrote:
Supermummy wrote:We paid ours $30 the other night for 1.5 hours. Both kids were in bed and she sat on the sofa and did her homework for $20 an hour...Seems pretty fair to me smile

Lol tarajs. It certainly used to seem awesome when it was me getting paid for sitting on the sofa doing my homework... Not quite as exciting now it's me that has to pay for someone else to do that! Lol.

That said, I have also had someone babysit overnight for me when I work night shifts (if my husband is overseas on business). My shift is 12 hours which means I need a babysitter for 14 hours. We pay $150 ish for the whole night which is about $17 for the 4 hours the kids are awake (6-8pm and 6-8am) and then half rates for the time they are asleep (8pm-6am). I discussed this with my original babysitter and came to an agreement as I felt $20/hour for a full 14 hours when the kids were asleep for the majority of that was a little excessive. As it is by the time I pay tax it makes me working barely worth it but I only have to do it occasionally so make do. (I think we originally calculated on $20/hour and half rates when asleep but then rounded down slightly).
When asleep thats probably pretty fair anyway. But I definitely think kid(s) awake and needing food/baths and changing deserve more than $10 p/h

Sign in to follow this topic