Huggies Forum

Hit me with your travel tips Rss

Travelling overseas in January with dd, hubby and another couple. Going to japan. I want lots of travel tips, here's a few things I've started thinking about
- do I take a pram or buy one there? We have a flight, a few buses to catch and also a long distance train on this trip. Thinking maybe buying a lightweight one there would be easier?
- best in flight entertainment? 9 hour flight
- flight back is overnight. Dd doesn't have her own seat but I have a bulkhead seat. Didn't tell them her age so I got a bassinet seat for the extra room. How the hell do I get her to sleep on a plane though?? She normally sleeps face down in her cot!
- need to learn what to look for when buying wipes, nappies in japan!
- part of the trip will be in the snow, so not sure if anyone has extra tips for that?

Anything at all you think of which would be helpful for me would be awesome!
Thanks!!

I can't answer all your questions but can a few smile

It might be hard to find somewhere to buy a pam once you're there. I would take a lightweight one but it will probably need to go in checked in luggage

When I flew with my DS1 (it was only a 4 hour flight) he fell asleep on me so you might be able to transfer her into the bassinet?

For the snow I would buy a little all in one snowsuit, I think nextdirect have them? They are awesome!

For entertainment - stickers are good - I half stuck them on the seat in front then ds would peel them off. Also lift the flap, feely books, lots of snacks (and ones that take a while to eat like dry cereal/sultanas

Good luck smile

Done a fair bit of traveling in my time so here goes...

- do I take a pram or buy one there? We have a flight, a few buses to catch and also a long distance train on this trip. Thinking maybe buying a lightweight one there would be easier?

Depending what your plans are while there etc would affect what I would do here. I would take something with me tho. I would either take a proper pram (if planning lots of walks in not too crowded areas etc but maybe not the best surfaces as lightweight strollers suck on crappy sufaces and you don't want to spend time fighting with the pram), if you'll do a bit of walking but your dd will probably walk a bit herself then I would take a lightweight stroller. Otherwise I would take a backpack instead. Makes crowded areas much easier to navigate and not an issue what surfaces are like. We just took our backpack when we did our big trip round Europe and Ds slept in it happily or watched what was going on. (He was 20-22 months...)

- best in flight entertainment? 9 hour flight

Anything that keeps her occupied at home. Stickers, colouring books, books to read, movies, toys... Take a selection of things. And some new bits wrapped up (like presents-but just $2 shop stuff or similar). Pull them out when she's restless. And doesn't matter if they get lost if they're $2 shop things. Busy bag type things. And food. lots of food. Lol.

- flight back is overnight. Dd doesn't have her own seat but I have a bulkhead seat. Didn't tell them her age so I got a bassinet seat for the extra room. How the hell do I get her to sleep on a plane though?? She normally sleeps face down in her cot!

Cuddle to sleep, or put facedown in the plane bassinet like you would at home and hope. Or maybe make up a mattress on the floor by your feet and put her to sleep there. But they changed the rules on this and don't like you doing it so you may not be allowed. Bottle to sleep. Whatever works! wink I would follow your home routineso once on the and give her something to eat etc then get her pjs on and then put down to bed (however you decide will best suit) and go for it.

- need to learn what to look for when buying wipes, nappies in japan!

Haven't been to Japan before but have been to other parts of Asia... How long is your trip for?! I actually calculated how many nappies I would need and took them with me (huggies) I bought them by the box and so packed a few strips in the suitcases. Vacuum packed they didn't take THAT much room and my figuring was as I used them up it left space for the things I bought over there to pack into my suitcase. Lol. I did buy more at one stage on our massive trip but I just looked for brands I recognised and got them.

- part of the trip will be in the snow, so not sure if anyone has extra tips for that?

An all in one snow suit. Lots of warm clothes. And always have at least one spare change coz if she gets wet in any way she will be miserable and cold. Will she be skiing?! Tobogganing?! Or just playing?! Goggles (as in snow goggles not pool ones), warm layers times lots so you can add/subtract as needed, sunscreen on always! Snow reflects the sun and blisters from sunburn hurt like hell even when it doesn't look that sunny! Um, beanies, gloves/mittens. For her age I would go mittens. Hell of a lot easier to get into than gloves. And make sure they're waterproof. Drinks, food, and lots of breaks in the cafe to warm up and refuel.

Anything at all you think of which would be helpful for me would be awesome!

Before getting on the flight (after you have checked in and have time to kill) do "races" you ride the tea elated and she runs beside... Go explore that shop the other end of the airport etc. anything to fire her out. The races game works wonders tho. Lol.

Um... Can't think what else right now but ask away and I'll answer. smile
You guys are awesome! She's still young for colouring books but she's getting my interested in fiddly little things so I think sticker books from the $2 shop are a winner!
we've been skiing a few times over there so got all her clothes, just need to buy some snow mittens. She has 2 piece snow gear because that way she can wear the jackets out to dinner and in Tokyo etc.
I think I'll take the Ergo Carrier and give that a go, buy a pram only of I really need it. I need to work out how to get the ergo on my back though, only ever carried her on my front when she was little!

I like the races idea, haha run her crazy and hope she crashes on the plain!! Someone also told me the white noise of the plane helps. I'll take her sleeping bag too and hope she can squeeze into the bassinet.

Thanks!

I am a regular snow goer in Australia with kids and have traveled to Japan for skiing (minus babies)

Transport - Not sure of your little one's age, but would recommend baby carrier or a backpack trekking style carrier if a little older. Even if you have a walker they struggle getting through the snow. I have spent many trip lugging around my 2-3 year old and regret that I never got a backpack trekking style carrier. You also need you hands free to carry your own gear. Prams and strollers are useless in the snow. Unless you have one that has a sled attachment. Also if you are taking your own skis/boots/snowboard a stroller is another thing that you need to transfer from plane, bus etc. But if you are planning on big walking trips around Tokyo you may need one.

Nappies - My friend went to Japan with a 9 month old. Found getting same nappies as Australian style difficult. More like nappy pants was all she could get her hands on.

Sun protection - My kids hated googles. Baby Banz were all I could get on them. Because the were light weight and used velcro to secure, they didn't tend to pull it off or couldn't because how the sunglasses were secured.

Airplane - check out busy bag ideas on pinterest that are suitable for her age. Felt pictures are also good option as you can make small ones and put in small bags.

Mittens - found it really hard to find small water proof mittens for under 1 year old. Start looking now.

Another site for tips for snow goers check out the Ski.com.au forums for specific threads or you can start your own to get tips from regular Japan ski goers. The forum users are really helpful with hints.

steph19 wrote:
You guys are awesome! She's still young for colouring books but she's getting my interested in fiddly little things so I think sticker books from the $2 shop are a winner!
we've been skiing a few times over there so got all her clothes, just need to buy some snow mittens. She has 2 piece snow gear because that way she can wear the jackets out to dinner and in Tokyo etc.
I think I'll take the Ergo Carrier and give that a go, buy a pram only of I really need it. I need to work out how to get the ergo on my back though, only ever carried her on my front when she was little!

I like the races idea, haha run her crazy and hope she crashes on the plain!! Someone also told me the white noise of the plane helps. I'll take her sleeping bag too and hope she can squeeze into the bassinet.

Thanks!

With the 2 piece snow suit just make sure she has an all in one under to keep warm and preferably try to make sure it's not going to ride up at the middle exposing her tummy. All in one so not bare skin will help but you wouldn't want snow to get in and her to have cold wet middle either. smile

I would def go with some form of backpack/carrier. We had Ds in a tramping backpack when we did our big trip and he was almost 2. He was heavy but I could manage for most of a day if needed. And as someone else said prams and snow don't mix.

Have you got a helmet for her too if she's going to be skiing or anything?!

Races are the best. They love it but it doesn't tire you out that much. Lol. Any form of running jumping exercise is good tho to tire her out. Hahaha. Depending who you're flying with and the people on the plane at the time you may or may not be allowed a bassinet. When we flew when dd was 1 we had a bassinet seat. One leg the staff refused to give it to me saying dd was too big. She was well under the weight limit tho. But the rest they happily gave it to me. Was strange because same airline just different staff! It was a tight fit for her but worked WAY better than holding her while she slept! The flight I held her my arm went dead and she woke when I tried to move it. Our latest flight I saw a woman who had a bassinet booked obviously for her younger child (maybe 6 months?!) but she ended up having the baby sleep in her arms and put her older one (nearly 2?!) in the bassinet. She was on her tummy and her knees were bent with her feet in the air coz she was too long for the bassinet but it worked. And she slept well and saved the mum holding the older child. smile lol.
Hey snow pants are bib and brace style (like overalls) so she'll be OK. She'll be too young to ski so we'll probably play in the kids play park they have and toboggan.
Yeah I think I'll take the carrier and see how I go without a pram.
I did a but of Googling and seems like Japanese nappies are on the small side but should just fit. They go to 14kg and no bigger. Only come in small, medium and large.

Sign in to follow this topic