Huggies Forum

Opinions!!!! Lock Rss

What age would you happily let your child play on a bouncy castle? Do you think they are dangerous?

Will explain once I see what people have to say tongue

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

Ds2 has been on them and he is 2. I think they can be dangerous especially if there are lots of older children on them with the little ones. And there needs to be not too many children on at once. Most of he ones they've been on have been well supervised and not too many kids

DS1 will be 2 in January, when he was just over one I let him on one that just had little children on and it was it was a shape one rather than the big open space one.
I haven't been in the situation yet, but if we were at something and it was a big open traditional bouncy castle I would be hesitant about letting him go on, as kids tend to bounce throwing themselves into the sides and I think he would be in too much risk of getting hurt accidentally. If it was quiet with just little ones then I think I would let him no problems smile
I'm intrigued!! smile

I don't have a blanket age, even now, there are times that I'll say no to them hoping on one despite the fact that they've been on them plenty of times before. I don't necessarily think that they're 'safe' but I do think that the risks can be minimised and I make a judgement call on my kids using them each time based on how well I think the risks can be minimised in that circumstance. My main things that I use when deciding if I'm happy for them to use a jumping castle tend to be related to the number of kids on at a time, the behaviour of the kids, the apparent ages of the other kids that are getting on, the ease of supervision for me (more so for DD2 than the older 2) and things like that.

All of my kids have had a go on a jumping castle when they're able to 'toddle' (I think DD1 went on one when she was crawling) but that's been when they're the only ones on there/it's only them and their siblings.

Leisa.
Depends on who else is on the jumping castle whether I let the kids on it. If it's empty then ill let them on at any age that they are at least confidently crawling.

If there are... erm.... 'energetic' older kids on there then I steer mine way, way away from them. Even at 6, Froggy is too uncoordinated and small to be thrown around by older kids on them. So, in that respect they can be dangerous.
We are having our Christmas party at Playcentre soon (in NZ it's a parent run early childhood centre, not a play cafe). We are going to get a bouncy castle, but there are a couple of mums who are worried about it being dangerous. The kids might bump into each other.
It just seems a bit ridiculous to me. There will be like 20 kids max at the party. DS will be the oldest at 4. Possibly one other 4 year old, but mostly 2 year olds.

I definitely understand them being dangerous if there are a lot of older/rowdy children on there, but a handful of preschoolers?

The mothers in question get worried about a lot of things being dangerous, but the bouncy castle thing really surprised me.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

We were at a "Sunday funday" on the wknd and they had a bouncy castle - dd turned 2 in October and ran over wanting to play on it but there were lots of "energetic" kids on it who had no disregard for the smaller kids so we went and did something else and went back when it was quieter / preschool age kids. The other kids were prob 2-4 and they were all fine

Re playcentre - doubtful all 20 kids would get on at once anyway which is when it could be "dangerous".?
Some people gotta have something to whinge about tho wink
Zinkles wrote:
We are having our Christmas party at Playcentre soon (in NZ it's a parent run early childhood centre, not a play cafe). We are going to get a bouncy castle, but there are a couple of mums who are worried about it being dangerous. The kids might bump into each other.
It just seems a bit ridiculous to me. There will be like 20 kids max at the party. DS will be the oldest at 4. Possibly one other 4 year old, but mostly 2 year olds.

I definitely understand them being dangerous if there are a lot of older/rowdy children on there, but a handful of preschoolers?

The mothers in question get worried about a lot of things being dangerous, but the bouncy castle thing really surprised me.

Yeah it would have surprised me too zinkles. I don't think it would get dangerous for that age group anyway.

I'm with everyone!

smile

Nice to 'see' you zinkles, I've been thinking about you!
Set a limit so it's not too crowded and make sure someone is supervising and I don't see a problem with it.

Set a limit so it's not too crowded and make sure someone is supervising and I don't see a problem with it.

My little one is two and seems to enjoy them as long as the bigger kids don't get carried away which can happen a lot. In that case he gets a little spooked and will usually come off it himself. He's not much of a daredevil, my little one.
Sign in to follow this topic