Huggies Forum

cloth vs disposible Rss

hi all,
did you use cloth or disposible nappies. im due with #1 in jan and was wondering what type of nappies people use and what influinced them to use that type. i have people on one side telling me to use cloth, another group saying to use disp and another group saying to use both.
advice greatly appriciated

natasha jayde - 1-1-05 ttc #2 end ong this year

We use cloth during the day, and disposables at night or when we're out.
the main motivator was cost. The cloths were expensive to buy (about $90 for 3 doz) but I laybyed them at Kmart during the 15% off storewide sale, so that made it a bit easier. I think I worked out (when I was really keen once!) that the cloth nappies paid for themselves in 7 weeks (ie. 7 weeks of disposables). I buy the JOhnsons liners which are about $7 a box of $100, but they last for about 3-4 weeks. Plus Napisan to soak them in, but it is still alot cheaper. I also use Curash powder at every change to help keep her dry.
I find with the cloths, I tend to change her every 2 hours, wheras, Imight go 3 in a disposable, but it's not a big deal. Plus, the bonus is it's better for rhe environment long term. And if you plan on having more than on child, you can reuse the cloths.
Using cloth during the day means I can afford to buy better quality disposables. We use Huggies, which would be far too expensive to use all the time, but are really good nappies, especially as my daughter has quite sensitive skin.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi
Everyone to their own choices but I am disposable ALL the way. Wait till you see all the extra washing one little bub creates anyway, the last thing I want to do is to have soak then wash nappies all the time. Disposables aren't that great for the environ but cloth nappies don't have nil impact either. They have done studies and the detergents and water you use washing cloth nappies is a lot.

Probably biggest issue is cost of disposables but I budgeted $30 a week for nappies which is plenty. I only buy the jumbo boxes (more cost effective) and I found at the start I was using one box every one and a half weeks. Now one box lasts just over 2 weeks. I read somewhere though that having a child in 100% disposables for the time they are in nappies costs parents about $3000/child all up ... that is a lot of money when you think of it that way.

Hope my thoughts help - obviously I am pro disposables. I admire anyone though who can handle all the extra work cloth nappies must make.

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi holz

Before my daughter was born i purchased a few cloth nappies and some disposables. Whilst being in the hospital for @ 4 days with bubs and using cloth nappies, as a first time mum, i didn't realise how many you go through in a day and just as you change one they could dirty it again 5 mins later. I know they say cloth are better for the environment etc but i personally think time with bubs is more important than washing nappies (and in the early days/weeks sleep is important aswell) as you spend enough time washing their clothes as my daughter was a bit of a chucker, i also don't think that alot of the bubs clothes out there are designed for cloth nappies (not big enough in the bum area). I do think disposable keep them drier. Maybe try cloth at first and see what you think, you can always use the cloth nappies as burp towels.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

Hi

I am a cloth mum during the day and a disposable mum at night time. I think my main reason for cloth was the money I am saving. Disposable nappies are sooo expensive these days, no matter what brand you get and found I couldn't always afford nappies. With my first I put him in cloth straight away, he was about 2 weeks old, with No 2, she got put into cloth about 3 months, she was a little tinier and so cloth just made her look too big! I guess the thing with cloth is that you are having to change the nappy every couple of hours and are washing nappies and pilchers every couple of days. But I guess that is something I have grown use to doing, I actually don't mind it. Am still unsure about what effects cloth nappies have on the environment, cause I am always being told 2 different things, but I wouldn't go back to disposable full time no matter what. Another thing I found was that toilet training wasn't made any easier, well with No 1 it wasn't, No 2 has awhile to go yet. So really it comes down to how much time you have and if you are a working mum going back to work after bubs is born, it all plays a part in whether you go to cloth or not.

A tip when washing cloth nappies, use fabric softner and don't put on line, but straight into a clothes dryer if you have one, they nappies come out alot softer. If put on line, they tend to go a little crusty.

Goodluck with your choice.

Heather
I had intentions of using cloth during the day but when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was wash nappies let alone cook or clean. I dont know how they all did it quite frankly back in the days when disposables were'nt invented. You are so sleep deprived. If hubby cant cook, make sure you have your dinners pre cooked or frozen as It is really hard to organise yourself when you are so tired!

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

i use disposables, although cloth nappys work out cheeper as once u get about 24 or so your set all ya have to do is wash them where as disposables cost around $40 for a box of 107 new born nappies or $20 for the bigger bag cant remember how many in their though sorry, i like disposables as they quick and easy and no washing but its a personal choice do what you think is best, although i did use cloth nappies in the hospital as they supplyed them and thats what you had to use
hope this helps a bit

Ann - Mummy To Taneesha, Jesse & Hallie

Hi Hollie,
I actually use a combination of both.When we are at home during the day I use cloth.I use disposables when we are going out for the day and also I use one at nightime as they keep baby drier. A pack of 30 Huggies usually lasts me 2-3 weeks. But I am a slave to the nappy bucket, usually washing nappies every 2nd day. Its a bit of a pain in winter having to use the dryer all the time!
Hope this helps
Brae
hello

I think its really up to you

We had every intention of using cloth nappies but you have so much work to do with a new baby we found disposables the way to go and one less thing to have to wash

You decide though, but that's the thing with a new baby you have so many people telling you oh do this and do that

Just remember you do what you feel most comfortable with

take care

all the best with the rest of your pregnancy

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Hollie,

I have used disposable when I brought my son home, the hospital provided cloth whilst I was there. As selfish as this sounds, I am a mother of convenience. I like to be able to use things that are easy and not taking up too much of my time. Whether that be disposable nappies or jar food. The mums at mothers group thought I was hilarous calling myself this.

Negative side to disposables is the price, but there are alot of places that sell seconds which are just as good as the ones from supermarkets.

Negative side to cloth, you have to soak them when soiled, then wash, dry and then fold.

However, this is my opinion only and alot of people will say disposables are bad for the environment, but I have done my bit by using a disposable nappy service in my area which recycles the nappies.

If you are still not sure, why not try both, I know plenty of mums who use cloth at home and disposables when out.

Hope this has helped a little, reading back on what I have written I don't think it has!!
Hi Holz, Well I use disposables because they are more absorbant, and also because of the extra washing that comes with using cloth nappies. I find that using huggies through the night time when i dont really want to be changing a nappy works well cus they are most absorbant by far. And then if you want to save a couple of $$ you can use a cheapie brand for day time.

julia, tas, 8mth baby

when my eldest son was about 2 mo i thought i would try cloth in the day. i didnt even know how to fold them & was aghast at how soppy it was. yuck so that was the 1st & last time i tried that my in laws had a nappy service with the bubs that we provided it was expensive but more convenine as they pick up the dirty & replce with clean oner. but when our children we hinted at a box of disposables but nobody took the hint. they just gave stupid fluffy toys etc that were meant make a noise but didnt.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic