Huggies Forum

afraid of Santa Rss

HI everyone

Im after some advice on how to get my 15 month old daughter used to Santa.

Xmas last year was not a problem at 4 months she happpily sat on Santa's knee and had her picture taken. It was something I wanted to turn into a tradition.

This year she simply has to see Santa and she screams and cries. I visit the xmas shop in Myers and she loves all the fake Santas and decorations etc but as soon as I start walking the pram towards where Santa sits she starts shaking her head and getting upset.

Can I somehow desensitise her or get her over this sudden fear. Nothing normally worries her?

Jeanie, QLD, toddler girl and boy and pregnant

Hi Jeanie

I didn't have a problem with Paige for her first christmas, sitting on santas knee (she was 6mnts). Last year we lined up but wouldn't sit on his knee. This year I haven't attempted it yet.
I think it is just a stage they go through, I remember my neice wouldn't sit on his knee at about the same age. I too wanted it to be a tradition, but that went out the window.

Rachel, TAS (Paige 21/6/02)

My Miss 15 months is exactly the same, I dont think we will get a snata photo with ehr this year. its too much stress on her and Santa.

When i took the boys i took little miss half way up the carpet, let her go, if she chose to follow the boys that was great, but she turned around and went back to her pram so i left it at that.

The only other idea i have is to get someone bub knows and feels safe with to dress up as santa smile

it is not uncommon and ALL kids go through it. My first two did too for their second christmas.

I dont belive in stressing bubs out and forcing her smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

My 15 month old daughter is also scared of santa even when she watched her 6 year old sister(who she usually follows around like a little shadow) sit on his lap. I figure if we go and say hi too santa every time we go shopping maybe by xmas she will be used to him! probably not though lol!

Carlie, 3 girls 12/02/98,05/08/03 & 06/08/05

Hello

Yes its a normal phase they all go through!

I took my 17 month old little boy yesterday to have his photo taken with santa and he was scared!

So I ended up sitting in on the photo too patrick was fine with that the girls even got him to smile!

if anyone lives near southland in cheltenham they are great at taking photos!

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi mums

Thanks for your advice on the
Santa issue. I tried again today to go past Santa and she still got upset. the funny thing is i have to walk a different route around the shops to avoid him. lol. What am I going to do if he starts walking around the centre????

Jeanie

Jeanie, QLD, toddler girl and boy and pregnant

Hi Mums

I stopped at the shops this afternoon with my 91/2 (almost 10) month old daughter. Santa was in front of me going down the escalator. I asked him if I could see what her reaction to him would be. When we go off, he spoke to her and she started crying. This is the first Santa that she's seen. I was so looking forward to her having her photo with him for her first christmas. I'm going to try again, even if dad and I have to get in the photo aswell, I'm going to have to get one.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

Iam having the same problem Taneesha was fine last yr with santa, she was 10 mths old, this year she is 21mths old and is happy to look at santa from a distance but when u go up to him she clings to me like glue, looks like mummy will have to be in this yrs santa photo, lmao as i going to get it done still, hehe i want to make it a tradition aswell

Ann - Mummy To Taneesha, Jesse & Hallie

As nice as it is to have santa pics of the kids each year, is it really fair on the child to unesarily distress them? smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

I do agree Bright Spark. I'll try it with my husband and I and if she gets really upset, ofcouse we won't make her. I hate it when my daughter gets upset.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

one year we has a family photo with all of us with santa that way we still had a nice pic with the kids & nice to have a photo of the whole family last year my youngets son was bawling and sure how he will go this year . one of my friends told me that its funny that we tell the kids about stranger danger then at xmas time inssist that they not just talk to a strange but person who also looks strange l how many peolpe they know wear a red suit have funny long hair& beard good point, dont stress the kids will be ready 4 santa when they are ready no

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

i just took my 2 yr old son past santa & said look at santa he just shook his head i said we will see santa another day and he said no when we walked past again i said wave and he said no. i thknk i will be in the pic this year again

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic