Huggies Forum

Naming Day Ceremony Rss

Any ideas for a naming ceremony?

My baby girl is 3 months old & i'm wanting to have a naming day for her but i don't know how to go about it.

What age does this event usually happen?

Who does the ceremony? how can i find a celebrant?

Any tips on what i can do? poems etc.

I've heard about people planting a tree to mark the occasion. That's a great idea.

Thanks.

Jenni, mum of Shanaye born 13-11-2004.

Hi there,

I did not have a formal 'naming day' ceremony, instead at 7 weeks we have a welcoming party.

I think you will find that most marriage celebrants also do naming ceremonies. Do a search on the internet in your area, and they will all be listed. Try searching even a wedding site and ring them.

Good luck!
hi jenni - lea im having a naming day for my little girl chloe in about 4 weeks . She will be almost 6 months my they . I dont know that it matters what age . we found the celebrant in a local paper they will come and talk to you . Give you some poems you pick the ones you want , you pick where you would like it to be and so on . If you are in melbourne i can give you the name of a celebrant that is really good , she did my wedding and is doing the naming day .

kylie mum of chloe

Hi Kylie

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm in sydney.

Thanks for the info. i'll check out the local paper.

My niece didn't have her naming day till she was 4yrs old, just due to circumslances at the time.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi we have had 2 naming ceremonies one for our daughter who was 5.5mths old and the second for our son who was 4mths. age was only due to circumstances and what we had happening at the time thou ceremonies are done for any age. most celebrates have a pro forma that they use for the ceremony thou they will change anything to suit your wants and requirements. i did alot of of looking on the net to get ideas for what i wanted for my sons ceremony. if you want to talk more and get some other ideas or to see what we did or to get some peoms etc and see if that helps you in anyway then email me at wlcox8@hotmail.com
hope i can help

wendy
Hi,
Just wondering how your naming day plans were all going. Are you still organising the event or have you already had it?
We are in the process of organising ours, so far we have decided where and have a number of a celebrate who does it where we have decided.We are in NSW as well.
Sherrie and baby Maddisyn 09/09/04
Hi Sherrie,

Thank you for your reply. No we haven't had our naming day yet but hopefully will be soon. I haven't found a celebrant yet. I haven't had much time to do anything lately. Hopefully we'll be having it within the next month or 2. I'm in Sydney. I already have her outfit & have to get the plans rolling or she'll be too big for her dress. I really don't know where to start. I haven't done this before & don't know anyone else that has either. Good luck with all your plans.

Hi,
Sounds like we are in the same boat, my daughter Maddisyn is nearly 7 months old and i had always thought she would have her naming day much younger, but the time goes so quickly.

I too have no idea what to do but we have finally picked a venue, just now need to organise a date and i hope that wont be too long.

We have decided to have it at Janolan Caves, there is a cave called Lucas Cave and there is a cathederal chamber in it where it has become a popular place people decide to get married in.
We had a look at it over the easter weekend and it is absolutely beautiful.

We dont live in the area (about 2 hours away)but they gave us a number of a celebrant that usually does the wedding ceremonies and you are able to play a song in there too.

I also thought of buying a special knife that can be used to cut Maddisyn cake and have it engraved so she can use it for every birthday and maybe if she ever gets married she can use it for that just to add more sentimental value to it.

I havent yet got Maddisyns dress, and now looking at the time it has taken just to decide where to have it its proberly a good thing.

Maybe we could stay in touch to talk about the different ideas we come up with, if you havent thought of a venue have a look at the lucas cave its absolutely gorgeous, i caught the end of one of those travel shows on tv that showed it and thats where i got the idea.
Hi Jenni-lea,

Just wanted to let you know we have finally set a date, next month YEAH.
Just now busy doing invites and the planning, busy but fun to do, its kind of like wedding plans all over again.
We havent yet got a dress but im not worried about it yet, as i think i want to wait a little longer to make sure it will be the right size.
How are your plans going?
Hi Sherrie,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. Have you had Maddisyn's naming day ceremony yet?
Well I haven't got any plans started yet unfortunately. Shanaye is 6 months old now. I wouldv'e liked to have done it already. Time just flies right by. I have tried to find a celebrant but no luck yet. Maybe i'm looking in all the wrong places.
If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them. Are you reading poems for her at the ceremony? There is a great website that has alot of beautiful poems. It's www.ausscrapcentral.com.au They are in the creative section under inspiration. If you haven't had the ceremony yet, I hope you & your family have a great day.
Looking forward to hearing how it all went.

I forgot to add that is a excellent idea about the knife. I might do that too.
Jenolan caves also sounds like it would be a beautiful place for a naming day ceremony.
I'm finding the planning quite hard as I have never done this before & I don't know anyone else that has either. I'm thinking of just having the ceremony at my house with some family members & friends & then have a BBQ for lunch.
Does this sound too casual? it is a very important day. I wish I had the money to go to a nice place like Jenolan Caves.
Another idea I have, there is a gift shop near me & they have little christening or naming day ornaments. They are gorgeous. I'm going to get one for each guest as a thank you for sharing this day with us & write the date & Shanaye's details on a little card & attach it with ribbon to the ornament. I thought it would be nice to have a keepsake for the occasion.
Looking forward to hearing about Maddisyn's big day.

Sign in to follow this topic