Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. how to lose a dummy???? please help!!!!

how to lose a dummy???? please help!!!! Lock Rss

Hi,
My kids have all had dummys but only for bedtimes so only have it when they have their sleeping times and then it stays in their cot/bed etc. With my first she was the hardest to get rid of it from her, but finally she bit a hole in it so she had to give it to the garbage bin and then watched that day as the garbage truck took it away and there was no more dummy, she cried for 2 nights when she went to bed asking for it but still went off to sleep after we reminded her of where it went as she was nearly 3yrs old time she gave it up and then she was fine and never asked again. With my middle son, he just gave his up at Xmas time he hung it on the Xmas Tree and let Santa take it, he only asked Xmas night for his dummy and we said to him remember Santa took it away and he was happy with that and never asked again, he was 2 1/2yrs old then. Now my baby boy has one but he's only 5mths old but probably around that same age we'll get him to give it up also. I found it was better that they understood what happened to it and if they only used it for bedtime there was not really a concern to get rid of it any earlier than 2-3yrs old.

Hi,
Everyone has an opinion about thumbs and dummies...my LO was 8 mths when I just took the dummy away by the end of day 2 hed forgotten all about it....I didnt try to replace it as I just thought that would be another thing to try to get rid of later, If it feels like the right time for your LO just do it, you know your baby best!

Posted by: dylansmumma
why do you feel the need you have to get rid of it.?

he is only having it for sleep whats the big deal?

It amazes me how some people are in a such a hurry for their babys to grow up.

Agreed JM, my DD was over 3 when she decided to put her dummy in the bin... she didn't have to 'get over' anything, and she happily threw it away. Her bite wasn't the best during those dummy times, but is now perfect. The teeth fix themselves after the dummy is gone - a dentist told me that! And DD used to have glycerine on her dummy until she was 2. Didn't harm her, and her paediatrician agreed, 'whatever works'.

DS has a dummy or 10, only at bedtime, as did DD, and he'll give his up when he decides too (with some mild suggestions rom us - as DD had). As for the addiction, yep, he's just as addicted as DD, but I am NOT distressing my child at night - I figure theirs and my sleep is FAR more important, just for the sake of a dummy that no one sees anyway. We have strict rules that they stay in the bed, and if he gets one out, they all go on the cupboard, out of reach.
My sister's DS gave his dummies to the dog. He knew that once the dog had touched them he couldn't have them back. He thought it was funny watching the dog play with them & he only cried for them once. There's so many different ways you can try, but you'll just have to try what you think will work best for your children & try it when you think they are ready.
Well that's the thing isn't it, when THEY are ready, not when mum and dad are ready. Just remember that you gave bubby the dummy, you chose to do that, so why did you give it to them if you really didn't want them to have it in the first place?? Like Rochelle said, don't be in a rush for them to grow up, before you know it they will be a screaming hormonal teenager and you will be wondering where all those precious baby years went.
Posted by: Kate_Jaz_Zach
Also, very cruel and dangerous to start cutting holes in the dummy, that is not 'tough love', that is just nasty.

Well i must just be a cruel and nasty person, gee comming on here and trying to help. I will remember that for next time I try to use some of my experiences to help out someone on here. What a welcome! Thanks Jazmyn and all the others that welcomed me so nicely with hurtful comments.
[Edited on 19/04/2007]
I'm with you here Missfish. If someone is trying to help out, there is no point in saying that it is nasty, that is not really a very constructive comment. You could have wrote that you wouldn't personally do this. The point of this post was to get ideas of ways to get rid of the dummy, not everyone elses opinion on whether she was doing the right thing in the first place. If this was the case, she would have had the subject as 'Losing the dummy, am I doing the right thing?'. This is supposed to be a helpful website.
Posted by: MissFish
Posted by: Kate_Jaz_Zach
Also, very cruel and dangerous to start cutting holes in the dummy, that is not 'tough love', that is just nasty.

Well i must just be a cruel and nasty person, gee comming on here and trying to help. I will remember that for next time I try to use some of my experiences to help out someone on here. What a welcome! Thanks Jazmyn and all the others that welcomed me so nicely with hurtful comments.
[Edited on 19/04/2007]

So on your second ever post, you've taken the time to turn this into a dig at someone's thoughts on cutting a hole in a dummy. No one is directing any comments at you, otherwise your name probably would've been the title of her post. Calm down & get over it.

Anyway, Hi Miss Fish, welcome to the site... hope you enjoy the fun. smile (that is a smily, which we don't have anymore)
I DECIDED TO TAKE AWAY MY SONS DUMMY AT 23MONTHS OLD, ITS BEEN 3 1/2WEEKS AND HE IS DOING REALLY WELL,
IT WASNT HELPING HIS SPEACH SO I TOOK IT AWAY AND NEVER TURNED BACK, HE CRYIED FOR THE FIRST FEW NIGHTS GOING TO BED, CAUSE HE WANTED IT, BUT AFTER THAT HE SLEPT.

ITS SO MUCH BETTER TO GET RID OF IT NOW. DONT WAIT TILL YOUR CHILD GETS OLDER.

ITS HARD TO PUT UP WITH THE CRYING AND TANRTUMS BUT IF YOU ARE STRONG THEY WILL BE TOO.

GOOD LUCK.

izacc,ethan and mya

Posted by: jackie/izacc/ethan
I DECIDED TO TAKE AWAY MY SONS DUMMY AT 23MONTHS OLD, ITS BEEN 3 1/2WEEKS AND HE IS DOING REALLY WELL,
IT WASNT HELPING HIS SPEACH SO I TOOK IT AWAY AND NEVER TURNED BACK, HE CRYIED FOR THE FIRST FEW NIGHTS GOING TO BED, CAUSE HE WANTED IT, BUT AFTER THAT HE SLEPT.

ITS SO MUCH BETTER TO GET RID OF IT NOW. DONT WAIT TILL YOUR CHILD GETS OLDER.

ITS HARD TO PUT UP WITH THE CRYING AND TANRTUMS BUT IF YOU ARE STRONG THEY WILL BE TOO.

GOOD LUCK.

ok please turn caps off no yelling thankyou.

and my son is 22mths old and theres definatly nothing wrong with his speech apart from the fact that he talks to bloody much lol.

LOL Talks too much!! IKWYM Rochelle!! I find it only affects Jaz's speech if it is in her mouth while she is trying to talk! wink
My DD (2yrs+2mths) still has her dummy but only for sleeps & when shes getting tired IYKWIM? Like when were out & shes tired but wont sleep in the pram.

I always said "When shes 2 were getting rid of the dummy" but alas she turned 2, I tried taking it away but she wasnt ready & was ropeable.

So I figure that its fine, atleast she hasnt got the dummy stuck in her gob all day/every day so whats the harm? Helps her sleep which means I can sleep so everyones happy.

Sign in to follow this topic