Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. how to lose a dummy???? please help!!!!

how to lose a dummy???? please help!!!! Lock Rss

Gee whiz there are some people that are very passoniate about this topic. If she wants to take the dummy away no big deal and if others choose to let their babies wean themselves also no big deal.

Do what U feel is right!

Good luck!
Dummies are always a heated topic. So many people think they are wrong(our mothers tell us that) and so many would be lost without them. The whole point of the thread was Helen asking for advice, and thats what she got. Lots of educated advice. Im sure she will take it all on board and make her own decision smile
Hi,
My friend's little one had to give his dummy to the dentist when he was about 2 yrs old. They told him that it would go to new babies who needed it more. Never seemed to be a problem for him. He was just a bit surprised when he saw my babies without dummies (All my 3 girls are little thumb suckers. Will be hard to get them to lose their thumb one day ... he he)

Good luck!
Sibylle

Maia 9/7/05, Sophia & Olivia 14/11/06

WOW!!!
i never realised what that little question would cause!
sorry to anyone that has been offened and thankyou to all of you for your advice. i will certainly take it all on board.

the reason for getting rid of the dummy is that i just can't stand them. although, yes, i was the one who gave it to him. i hate seeing kids in shopping centers that can walk and talk wondering around with them in their mouth. we have been trying to lose it for a while and he always seems to get his own way and gets it back again.

my mother HATES them but he is often looked after by her and she gives it to him more than i would like (i don't mind just in bed). really i think i need to train my mother better! lol

I don't think he is old enough to give it to a fairy, rubbish truck or alike as he would not understand. but i am going to try cold turkey. and see how this goes, but i also think i might hide them from me too! smile

i am not trying to get him to grow up too quick, but i understand that he has lots to acheive when he is older (big bed, toilet training etc) and why not let him deal with one of those things now so he doesn't have as much to contend with all at once. its not exactly something that is going to be detremental to his health if i do do it now, is it??

although saying all that if this doesn't work i think i might wait till he is older, convince my husband that we should get a dog and give it to the dog cos that is just cute! lol!

thanks again,
Helen

Hi Helen,

I just wanted to say good luck with getting your son to give up his dummy. I know it can be a stressful time for both son and Mum. I have 3 girls- all have been given a dummy from birth to soothe wind and help them settle.

With my first I just went cold turkey at around age 18months. One day I just threw them away and told her they were gone. She cried at bedtime for about a week- asking for her dummy. I felt so cruel- and she looked at me like I had taken away her best friend. After that first week though she was fine and settled and slept well without it.

Yesterday my #2 DD who is 2 1/2 years old (and only has her dummy at sleep time)came out to me in the kitchen with a broken dummy. A hole was torn in it. We talked about how it was no good anymore- so we threw it in the bin. I took this opportunity to wean her completely off the dummy. I gave her a special fairy doll to take to bed with her, gave her heaps of praise. She asked for her dummy a few times and was reminded that it was broken- that there was no more dummies. She fell asleep without it fine. When she woke this morning i gave her a big cuddle and told her what a big girl she was- sleeping without a dummy. She loved the praise.

#3 DD is only 7 weeks old and has a dummy when she is unsettled.

Your son is too small to understand the whole dummy fairy or replacement idea. If it is really important to you that he give up his dummy now- then cold turkey is most likely the way to go- but be careful you do not replace his sleeping with a dummy with something which will be harder to break- eg cuddling or sitting with him til he goes to sleep.

I would personally suggest waiting until he is a little older- I found it worked much easier this time round. Last time I think I took the dummy away too soon. Dummy suckng at bedtime for a few minutes really is no big deal. I used to always let my girls fall asleep with the dummy then take it out of their mouth and put it up- it meant they had it to go to sleep but weren't sucking on it all night. It also meant I could find it in the middle of the night if they woke up.

Don't feel pressured to wean your son off the dummy by others- I know I have had people comment on my DD's use of dummies- telling me that they are too big to still have one. I say do whatever feels right to you.

Good luck
i thought i put a post on this subject, but most not have worked.

i went cold turkey with my son for his bottles cause he wouldnt drink out of anything else he was 17months old or close to it. now ive gone cold turkey with the dummy, this was the only way to stop him from crying all night cause he lost it. he was crying for the first couple of nights when going to bed but started sleeping trough, now its been 3 weeks and he doesnt miss it, he grabed his brothers dummy a few times but never puts it in his mouth.
he is 2 next week and im so glad i done it, cause its bad for there teeth but also bad for there speach, ive noticed a huge difference in his talking since i gave up the dummy.

izacc,ethan and mya

Posted by: jackie/izacc/ethan
i thought i put a post on this subject, but most not have worked.

i went cold turkey with my son for his bottles cause he wouldnt drink out of anything else he was 17months old or close to it. now ive gone cold turkey with the dummy, this was the only way to stop him from crying all night cause he lost it. he was crying for the first couple of nights when going to bed but started sleeping trough, now its been 3 weeks and he doesnt miss it, he grabed his brothers dummy a few times but never puts it in his mouth.
he is 2 next week and im so glad i done it, cause its bad for there teeth but also bad for there speach, ive noticed a huge difference in his talking since i gave up the dummy.

actually you did post its just back a few posts have a squizzy
Hi There Helen,
Well when my boy was about 15 months old i wanted him to give up his "nummy" Tried cold turkey he just cried for it he didnt understand easter bunny or a dummy fairy. I mention it to my brother and he said to just cut a bit off every couple of days ( i didnt put holes in it just cut it straight off so he wouldnt choke) By about the 10th day he had nothing left to suck on and woldnt care if he had it or not so i took it away. He asked for it a couple os times i wod show him and he wouldnt want it. he also has a blanket too which might have helped.
hope this helps
EM

Em,QLD,- Logan & Lily

Hi Helen.
I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We got the dummy off my daughter but it became a struggle again when my son was born. This time we said enough is enough. We are expecting a 3rd in December which we are going to try and no use one at all. I figure if they don't know about it then there are other ways to calm a baby. We were so sick of looking for them and they were just boting on them. This easter the Easter Bunny took them all! We thought we would have a big tantrum but it was actually better then expected. Bed times have been a bit harder but you will find a way to get him to sleep comfortably without it. You really just need to take it and don't give in!
Posted by: SarahAdam
Hi Helen.
I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We got the dummy off my daughter but it became a struggle again when my son was born. This time we said enough is enough. We are expecting a 3rd in December which we are going to try and no use one at all. I figure if they don't know about it then there are other ways to calm a baby. We were so sick of looking for them and they were just boting on them. This easter the Easter Bunny took them all! We thought we would have a big tantrum but it was actually better then expected. Bed times have been a bit harder but you will find a way to get him to sleep comfortably without it. You really just need to take it and don't give in!

why does she just really need to take it and dont give in.???

hes still a baby for christs sake hes not bloody 10
you are soo right! he is not 10! i have a 11 yr old brother and 9 yr old sister, and they wouldn't even dream about carring on like my DS does with his dummy!! about anything!!!there would be no taking anything or not giving in!

i am concerned, do you have a 10 yr old that does?????

Posted by: SarahAdam
Hi Helen.

i agree, i AM being too soft and giving in to him crying, also cos he often won't sleep during the day with out it, he will just play with his toys/sheets. so i give it to him to make my life easier. but i won't change the fact that i don't want him to have it and and i still want to get rid of it!!! personally i don't think they are all that hygenic either!

i wos being sarcastic could you not tell???

my point is hes just a baby let him be a baby!!!!
Sign in to follow this topic