Huggies Forum

I need help - NOW!!! Lock Rss

Please can someone help me.

Kaitlin is 1 on Wednesday, and she is not very good at going to sleep! I'm at my wits end and have tried everything.

I know some of you are going to think I am a bad mother, but I have decided to try controlled crying - right now!

She's in her cot and she's talking to herself about puppies and balloons and I keep going in and laying her back down and rubbing her back, the leaving. It's not working!!!

WHAT DO I DO??????

hey there

i did controlled crying with DD for a few months it worked wonders for us, Is your little one crying when you go into her room? If she is just generally chatting to herself just leave her untill she starts to cry, Then go in lye her back down dont talk to her just say goodnight and then walk out leave it another 10 mins and do the same, It may take a while but it will eventually work! Hope to have helped!

Hi Kaitlin's mum

Can u tell me what is your DD's routine for the day ?

mumof2

Post deleted by administrator.
I never thought I would use CC but at 10 months with DD still waking for a BF every 3-4 hours, I was at my wits end. Within 3 relatively easy nights, she was sleeping through and has ever since. I was converted - lol.

Basically, what we did was set a 20 minute routine. We'd put DD down like normal, she'd fall asleep, then wake at 3-4 hours. At that point, we would go in, settle her, she would wake within a few minutes and cry. We'd let her go for 20 minutes, then go in and settle her, and again, if she cried, let her go for 20 minutes (and so on).

The first night, she cried 3 times, the 2nd night, 1 and a bit times, the third night, she whinged for a short period then slept through.

Not sure if that will help. My advice is to pick the routine you want, and stick to it. It is a battle of wills, so if you cave, the efforts before would have been a waste of time. You want it to be as quick as possible so as to reduce the stress on your bub.

Good luck !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

I just went and laid her down again and now she is REALLY crying!!!

I want to cry. sad

She's been in there for about 15 minutes now, I'm going in every 5 mins.

Her routine.

8am(ish): Wake up, cuddles with mum for a few minutes, nappy change etc then playing.

9am breakfast

11:30am bottle

12:30pm sleep for about an hour (in the car or pram its the only way she'll sleep in the daytime)

2pm: Lunch

5:30pm dinner

7pm bath then bottle ready for bed

3:30am(ish) wakes up again for another bottle, then straight back to bed.

She's still crying. I don't think I can do this. She sounds devastated. I don't want her to think I've abandoned her!!!!
Post deleted by administrator.
Thanks everyone for your help but I couldn't do it. She just sounded so devastated. She's been up for a few minutes now and she's still sobbing.

What have I done???? I think the only thing I accomplished was making her now petrified of the cot.

But thanks for your support, I really do appreciate it.

-xxx-
are you also tired?

It just means that you just aren't ready for control crying.

Have you looked into Tizzy Hall? That might give you a few more methods to try as CC is pretty tough going and usually a last resort.

Hi,

No, I'm not really tired I usually stay awake till about 11 anyway. Some nights it's a bit harder but I can handle it.

Kazi - I haven't heard of Tizzie Hall - what is it? No I wasn't ready! It was horrible!

If you google Tizzy Hall, you will find a stack of information. I think there is a book you can buy. I didn't use it but there should be plenty of mums on this site that have info for you if you do a new thread, both here and in the Toddler Forum (sleeping section).

Even though tonight was horrible, the important thing is you know what you aren't comforatable doing, well for now at least. There is no one way to do things and we all have times where things just don't work, so don't be hard on yourself.

Sign in to follow this topic