Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

What Nationality is everyone?? Rss

Hey Megan,
Could you tell me what Pakeha is please??

nee Lilysmama - Proud Mama of 2 Girls

Dinky Di Ocka here.

My kids came out looking like they were from Pluto, - not sure what happened there!
I am a Pakeha too, have not heard that phrase for a while, we are not from Pluto --- google it!

Hi there,

Pakeha basically means a Non Maori New Zealander (usually white). It was used to describe the early white Europeans who migrated to New Zealand and has kind of stuck - there are quite a few meanings out there - but I kind of like that one. Some people don't like the term because it was claimed it meant white stranger or something to that effect. On most of the forms we fill in, in NZ, you can tick the European/Pakeha box to pick ethnicity if you are of European descent.

Posted by: Penfoldnz
Hi there,

Pakeha basically means a Non Maori New Zealander (usually white). It was used to describe the early white Europeans who migrated to New Zealand and has kind of stuck - there are quite a few meanings out there - but I kind of like that one. Some people don't like the term because it was claimed it meant white stranger or something to that effect. On most of the forms we fill in, in NZ, you can tick the European/Pakeha box to pick ethnicity if you are of European descent.

Hi Penfoldnz,
Thank you for kindly educating me on what Pakeha means. I'm sure there are a lot of people on here in huggies world that didn't know what that word meant.
Have a great day!!!

Posted by: Leo the lion
I am a Pakeha too, have not heard that phrase for a while, we are not from Pluto --- google it!

Too lazy to google.... Get better responses from the huggies site......

Who said you were from Pluto!!!! LOL!!!!
[Edited on 30/06/2007]

I was born here (Australia). My father was born in Greece. My mother was born here and her lineage can be traced back to the first fleet.

Hubby was born here. His father was born in India. His mother was born here however her parents came from England.
im aussie all the way back at least 5 generations dp is aussie for at least 3 generations but has scottish in there somewhere
Im Australian. Mum was born in England and Dad is Australian.

Apparently when you trace back our family tree really far we have Irish and French as well but buggered if i know! Thats what my sister told me LOL
I am Aussie... DH is Italian but born here....

Owen 26.2.04 and Hannah 17.9.07

Me - Aussie
Mum - Aussie
Dad - Aussie
DP - Dutch but born here
MIL and FIL both dutch and born in holland
Couldnt get much more Aussie if i tried.

Sign in to follow this topic