Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Are we getting to money hungry? Rss

Well here is an intellectual convo for you TP.

I was just watching the news and they were talking about how rental and property market prices are getting higher and higher, forcing those who are in need of housing to spend more and more money to get housing, something which many people cant afford. Meaning other things such as food and bills are slipping putting more people into debt,

so for many to survive more people need to take on more jobs, and where does this put their children, it puts them into care, where parents need to then pay for that care, meaning they need more work to afford that too,

and then where does that leave the family? with no quality time because the parents are always working.

Now im not knocking those who own property, my inlaws do, but there just seems like there is so much focus on having money now, and i wonder if that is where our focus should really be, but this seems to be a society in general thing, with government policies largely reflecting this to, rather than having a more family focused community.

personally i my heart lies with my family, and as long as there is a roof over my head and food on the table, im happy, while it is nice to have some luxuries is good, it is not the be all and end all,

whay do you think
i totally agree and its making it harder for some members of the community to survive.

im no means struggling (we have a roof over our heads and have food on the table and occasionally have some luxuries occasionally) and i love my husband and my son even though love will not buy a roof over our heads.

i make time for ds and dh and im happy in between working etc.

yeah but its sad but true that is what some families are doing just to survive and the fact that lending agencies like banks etc are willing to make it even worse by handing out credit cards etc when they should know that some people just cannot simply afford payments.

i was called ballo!

Yeah we are proberbly classed as poor. But like you say we havea roof over our head and foos in our bellies. We are in debt, but we arnt living out on the streets or anything.

I am very thankful. We have been trying to be really careful with our money and ive managed to nearly get 100dollars in the bank for a rainy day. Might not sound like much, but to us its a lot.

Also Connors account has a few hundres in it. Little bugger has more money then mummy and daddy. lol.

And as for the working and putting your child in daycare. I simply wouldnt as i would end up either worse of or maybe 100 dollars ahead for working full time.
If we were living where we used to i would be working and would be actually making money. But we moved for DP job.

The other thing is we can get steak, mince and sausages from DP parent as they killed a steer they had so now have 200kg of meat.
That really helps a lot.
[Edited on 23/07/2007]

it sucks that at the end of everyday its all about money if only it wasnt everyones worries if only they never invented it... DP and i have a house but i think of when our little ones are older what are they goin too be able too afford by then...

I think it's a bit of a sticky situation with house properties being so high, landlords have to ask higher rent to cover mortgage payments, and more to the point rates & water bills which are rediculous! So then rents are high too.

I really think the Govt should look at making interest on principal residence tax deductable - not just that on rentals. That would be far more beneficial than the $7000 first home grant that hardly anyone qualifies for.

I also think we'll see a move towards multiple generations in the home again as aged care gets unaffordable and younger generations can't move out. I guess until it happens the jury will be out on whether that'll be a good thing or not.

The other thing I think we'll see is the retirees selling up and doing the mobile home thing etc because they won't have their own home and won't be able to afford the increasing rents.

As for child care, DH & I sold our investment property (which was a house DH built when he first started working before all the booms etc) so that I could stay at home. I was then lucky enough to get work where I can take DS with me. I wasn't comfortable at all with the idea of having someone else in charge of decisions on his upbringing, so we were prepared to make major lifestyle sacrifices if the need arose. I guess we got lucky though and have the best of both worlds!
The saying, 'Moneys not everything' I believe it.
But then i say 'it sure helps'. lol.
Money cant buy happiness, sometimes im not too sure of this one. lol. I would sure be happier if i had lots of money.

Nah I don't think it buys happiness. But if you are happy with your life, money sure does ice the cake nicely!
I don't think money is everything but it sure means something. I honestly look at where we are now and think omg what are we doing. We are paying a mortgage of $430 a week which is half our weekly pay.

Yeah i can see some of you girls thinking not bad, but Will's subcontracted so our tax/gst bills are massive, plus rates, plus bills, plus fuel, and cohens weekly needs. we're left with nothing. We're definitely struggling but we had to look at the here and now. If we didn't buy our own house we'd still be in the same position in 10 years. We'd still be struggling if we paid rent so i don't think paying a mortgage is a huge difference especially the price of rent these days!!!

We can't even afford to do our weekly shop. I can only buy things we really need. Will's parents buy meat by the cow or sheep so they give it to us because we can't afford to buy it!

I don\t think we're money hungry. I think the government need to take a step back and see it from our perspective and see how bad it has gotten. They are making us struggling and making it difficult for us to buy the necessities in life and i don't think it's fair.

Atleast we have our foot in the door now and that's the only thing i can see for our future. Atleast then we have a guarenteed place for our family to live.

Whatever happened to $4 for a block of cheese, 85c for a litre of fuel and 150k for a 4x2 house?

[quote]Whatever happened to $4 for a block of cheese, 85c for a litre of fuel and 150k for a 4x2 house?[quote] Sounds like Grandma/Grandpa and their "I remember when we got the milk straight from the cow and bread was 5c a loaf" stories! Imagine the amounts our kids will be reminicing about in their old age! Scary hey!
thats the sad thing. I'm only 20 and i remember when it all cost that much! Wasn't long ago. Can you imagine the change in 10 or even 5yrs?
It was really only 2 years ago that I remember refusing to stop for petrol coz it was over 80c! It went up like 20c a week for a few weeks then never went down again!

I'd say if 5-10 years our lives will be quite different. We'll be drinking tank water, using solar power, showering once a week to save water etc and cars will be too expensive to run so we'll be all super fit riding our treddlies to work!
Posted by: LA*78
I think it's a bit of a sticky situation with house properties being so high, landlords have to ask higher rent to cover mortgage payments, and more to the point rates & water bills which are rediculous! So then rents are high too.

I really think the Govt should look at making interest on principal residence tax deductable - not just that on rentals. That would be far more beneficial than the $7000 first home grant that hardly anyone qualifies for.

I also think we'll see a move towards multiple generations in the home again as aged care gets unaffordable and younger generations can't move out. I guess until it happens the jury will be out on whether that'll be a good thing or not.

The other thing I think we'll see is the retirees selling up and doing the mobile home thing etc because they won't have their own home and won't be able to afford the increasing rents.

As for child care, DH & I sold our investment property (which was a house DH built when he first started working before all the booms etc) so that I could stay at home. I was then lucky enough to get work where I can take DS with me. I wasn't comfortable at all with the idea of having someone else in charge of decisions on his upbringing, so we were prepared to make major lifestyle sacrifices if the need arose. I guess we got lucky though and have the best of both worlds!

I agree with some of your points. having assessed and qualifies mortgages from all sorts of life, the First Home Buyers grant helps people alot.

Just recently, in WA they have now abolished the stamp duty too. NSW, SA, QLD and WA have stamp duty waivers (the biggest cost ever, sometimes over $15,000). These states only get $7,000 grant, but they get stamp duty waived.

Victorian government, though gives their 1st Home Buyers $10,000 grant, they still pay full stamp duty. Mostly aboyt $15,000.

The governemtn is trying to "Halt" our spending. And it is the consumers habits that drive this insane increase.

The governemtn needs to increase interest rates, to halt investors from buying more, and reduce the property prices (yes, they are falling by alot) so that owner occupiers can get a chance.

Back in the day, when the houses were $50,000 - $100,000, the interest rates were also 18%.

The higher the interest rate, the values of houses fall (coz no one wants to spend that much on a house), and helps the curve of spending take a new direction.

phew. Sorry about the essay. lol

But yes, they make it hard for us.
[Edited on 23/07/2007]

Sign in to follow this topic