Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

tax nightmare Lock Rss

hey everyone

we did hubbys tax via etax and it turns out he owes money this year. does anyone elses hubby owe money? it doesnt seem fair that he owes money but i dont work and we have a 19 month old baby. should be appeal it or is this type of thing normal for one income families?

Heidi 3 years & Annika 4 days

hi mum of heidi,

i'm quite sure my Sisters DP had to pay money back cos he owed money, my sister doesn't work either so i don't know exactly what you can do about it.
sorry, i just thought i'd let u know u weren't the only 1

we pay a good 10k a year for tax (if we havent got anything to claim, but we do most times).... its really hard on all of us. Just make sure you know everything you can claim on too... sometimes accountants dont go fully into detail about it
It would only be normal to pay tax if your hubbys employer has not contributed enough tax throughout the financial year.
Or you have not completed e-tax package properly in regards to claimable items/medicare levys etc.
Could be an idea to ring the help desk for e-tax or seek an accountant to prepare the return on your behalf. Would mean u pay a fee to do so but may be worth your while
oh ok i didnt know you could resubmit your tax return. its frustrating because we purposely donate money to a charity each year (a couple of hundred dollars) so we have something to claim each year and we didnt even get that back.

sounsd as though you didnt do it properly... My dp payed 11 and a halk grand in tax and he only got $250 back minus $120 for the accountant so he is only recieving $130 back! talk about crap! We rang the ATO and they said it was correct!

yeah it makes me wonder though if his payroll guy at work has done the pay and tax right. because last year we owed centrelink money because we underestimated his income because the payroll guy gave us a letter with the wrong salary amount on it. i just checked the ato website and it says to lodge an ammendment or appeal the decision then we can be charged with a fee to do so... might be worth just paying the money and being done with it sad

If you have done everything correctly, I would think that your partners work is not taking enough tax out of his income. You can look at tax tables on the ato website, just to check that they are taking enough out.

Go back and check your return, maybe something was missed?

good luck, hope you figure it out.

Dp has had to pay back money- then we went to a different tax guy andhe got some money back YAY lol
I did our returns yesterday and DH also has to pay this year but for him it comes down to having 5 different employers throughout the year

if you did everything correctly then it would be that the employer might not have taxed him correctly. didhe maybe change jobs through the year if he changed tax brackets this could also effect it

luckily i get a refund due to getting maternity leave for part of the year which covers his debt and more

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

My DP worked as a baker for 4 months as a temp thing from start of Dec 06 to end of April 07. His employer took out around $100 a week for tax purposes but yesterday he received a group certificate from the bakery which stated he only worked 1 day and made $86 and only $26 was taken in Tax. I was so mad we were cut short $100 a week due to "TAX" that was never paid to the tax office but kept in his employers pocket. I have no idea what will happen when he gets his tax done he worked a few different jobs this year so this isn't his only group certificate. I can only hope we don't have to pay anything.
also the tax that he has to pay does not take into account whether his partner works or not or if you have kids.

It just goes by his income

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

Sign in to follow this topic