Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Alternative therapies...Are you a believer??

Alternative therapies...Are you a believer?? Lock Rss

After reading through the soy post, it got me thinking, how many of you are into alternative therapies and do you believe in them?

Me, sometimes i think people got to far, putting a bit to much faith in them, Also people dont realise that vitamins and minerals and other herbal remidies are drugs and can cause damage if not used cautiously

Having said all that, i do feel that there is a place for it in our society. As many of you may know Im quite keen on palliative care at work I have have seen many things in that line of work that confirms my belief that there is something more, somthing bigger than science, there are many benifits to alternative therapy working hand in hand with conventianal therapies, And even if they dont work, often a patients belief that they work are as good as the treatment itself working
I am a Pharmacy assistant and I make a living on people buying drugs lol lol

But seriously ..I think both can exist very well together ..like acidophilis and antibiotices together or garlic and horseraddish with cold and flu meds ...stuff ike this ...I think we cant abandon modern medicine all togehter (I know you wernt suggesting this anyway)but I think cancer sufferers haveing CHemo adn drinking freash vegetable juice is a great thing to do togehter

I think if there was a simple natural remidy for something that was not life threateneing ...than yeah I would definatly give it a go first .....then try something more modern if it is not working as fast as I would have wished
YES!! I get acupuncture and cups done and it is awesome. I hardly have any back pain anymore and beats taking the amount of pain killers that I was. The thing to remember is that Chinese Medicine has been around a lot longer then Western Medicine and it has been PROVEN over and over! I love it, plus I feel so so relaxed afterwards!

The kids take teething tablets and Brauer tummy calm and teething mixture. All that being said, I would not hesitate to take the kids to the doctor if there was something wrong (luckily they are pretty healthy) and I go to the doc once per week for iron injections. I can see the value in both and I think sometimes it is good to seek an alternative therapy, maybe it will work for you and your kids. Mum doesn't like any of it, but I have said to her so many times 'don't knock it till you try it!'
i think like lukes mum said, natural remedies and such, garlic, lemon, honey, fresh fresh fresh is great and i rather try that than taking meds but if something needs antibiotics i wont hesitate. as far as accupuncture and things like that go im not realy into it.

kate, if you dont mind me asking why do you need weekly iron injections, cant you take tabs?
[Edited on 08/08/2007]
[quote][b]I think we cant abandon modern medicine all togehter (I know you wernt suggesting this anyway)[/quote]

LOL, if i suggested that i would be out of a job!!
my MIL is really into bowen therapy and reiki - she is always doing it on our 4 nieces when they hurt themselves. She did do some bowen on me while i was pregnant - but only because she really wanted to use me as a case study to pass her courses.
DH and i have told her she isn't to do anything on our DS, as we want it to be his decision if he wants - she wasn't too happy with that as he has a cephalhaematoma she thinks she can fix, but she has to live with our decision.
Otherwise, i use natural remedies, but will get antibiotics if nothing else seems to work.
[quote]
+ Home » + General Baby Topics » + General Discussion » + Alternative therapies...Are you a believer??

advanced

Posted: 08/08/2007 20:44 #851535
Moo & Bubbles Mummy

Total Posts:2665
Last Post:08/08/2007

Subject : Alternative therapies...Are you a believer??
After reading through the soy post, it got me thinking, how many of you are into alternative therapies and do you believe in them?

Me, sometimes i think people got to far, putting a bit to much faith in them, Also people dont realise that vitamins and minerals and other herbal remidies are drugs and can cause damage if not used cautiously

Having said all that, i do feel that there is a place for it in our society. As many of you may know Im quite keen on palliative care at work I have have seen many things in that line of work that confirms my belief that there is something more, somthing bigger than science, there are many benifits to alternative therapy working hand in hand with conventianal therapies, And even if they dont work, often a patients belief that they work are as good as the treatment itself working

Reply Msg User

Posted: 08/08/2007 20:49 #851551
luke's mum

Total Posts:1161

I am a Pharmacy assistant and I make a living on people buying drugs lol lol

But seriously ..I think both can exist very well together ..like acidophilis and antibiotices together or garlic and horseraddish with cold and flu meds ...stuff ike this ...I think we cant abandon modern medicine all togehter (I know you wernt suggesting this anyway)but I think cancer sufferers haveing CHemo adn drinking freash vegetable juice is a great thing to do togehter

I think if there was a simple natural remidy for something that was not life threateneing ...than yeah I would definatly give it a go first .....then try something more modern if it is not working as fast as I would have wished

Reply Edit

Posted: 08/08/2007 20:53 #851570
Kate_Jazmyn_Zachary

Total Posts:1761

YES!! I get acupuncture and cups done and it is awesome. I hardly have any back pain anymore and beats taking the amount of pain killers that I was. The thing to remember is that Chinese Medicine has been around a lot longer then Western Medicine and it has been PROVEN over and over! I love it, plus I feel so so relaxed afterwards!

The kids take teething tablets and Brauer tummy calm and teething mixture. All that being said, I would not hesitate to take the kids to the doctor if there was something wrong (luckily they are pretty healthy) and I go to the doc once per week for iron injections. I can see the value in both and I think sometimes it is good to seek an alternative therapy, maybe it will work for you and your kids. Mum doesn't like any of it, but I have said to her so many times 'don't knock it till you try it!'

Reply Msg User

Posted: 08/08/2007 20:54 #851571
mummytocuties

Total Posts:1543

i think like lukes mum said, natural remedies and such, garlic, lemon, honey, fresh fresh fresh is great and i rather try that than taking meds but if something needs antibiotics i wont hesitate. as far as accupuncture and things like that go im not realy into it.

kate, if you dont mind me asking why do you need weekly iron injections, cant you take tabs?
[Edited on 08/08/2007]

Reply Msg User

Posted: 08/08/2007 20:54 #851574
Moo & Bubbles Mummy

Total Posts:2665

[b]I think we cant abandon modern medicine all togehter (I know you wernt suggesting this anyway)

LOL, if i suggested that i would be out of a job!! [/quote]

sorry ...I jsut diddnt want you to think I was jumpin to conclusions .....I read the soy thread and I can see how things just get taken out of context ...jsut diddnt want you to think I was reading something that wasnt there ...lol lol

I am parinoid ha ha ha

Posted by: mummytocuties

[Edited on 08/08/2007]

I don't mind you asking at all. I had all these blood tests to check levels and stores and it was so low the doc didn't know how I was getting out of bed in the mornings, I just put down how I was feeling to depression and having 2 lil bubbies! He said if I were to take iron tablets it would take 12 months to get back to a normal level, but injections would do the job almost instantly. I also have B12 shots, they are amazing things, pure gold!

So that's why! In saying that though, most doctors will not do iron injections by fear of being sued. The injections can leave a light brown stain on your bum where you have the shots, I signed a waiver saying I was aware and I would not sue!
oops ...I diddnt mean to highlight that much ...need to either turn the light on or get a new mouse lol lol
thanks kate, i just didnt know you could get iron injections. wow france what happened there.
Posted by: luke's mum
oops ...I diddnt mean to highlight that much ...need to either turn the light on or get a new mouse lol lol

Ha Ha i was wondering what you were doing then,

ps: I know you wernt having a go that is why i put the LOL, ans as a pharmacy assistant you would probably be out of a job too! LOL
Posted by: mummytocuties
thanks kate, i just didnt know you could get iron injections. wow france what happened there.

We give iron alot in dialysis, we have to be really careful with it especially because it is given straight into the blood system, there is a high risk of reaction to it.

we will give some people iron 2 times a week, it helps there blood carry oxygen around the body and make more redbloods cells, it is black like tar and i would imagine it would make a mess if you spilt it

We have to be so careful with it, anyone who is being started on iron has to be sent to adelaide and have it started under supervision before we are allowed to give it in our unit
Sign in to follow this topic