Huggies Forum

Where do babies come from??? Lock Rss

I was out shopping with my family, DF had gone to the book store while I wanted to go across to Pumpkin Patch. I asked my son who he wanted to stay with DF or myself?
"Is Pumpkin Patch a fruit shop?" he asked disappointed
"No." I answered "It's where babies come from. Cabbage and Pumpkin Patches..."
He looked at me strangely then yelled to Dad "I'm going with mum!" grabbing my hand excitedly.
I looked at the clothes will my son ran around the store looking, "Mum, where are all the babies?" he asked. I told him that they keep them out the back until they are ripe to pick...else the crying would upset the customers...

He now thinks that the back store room at Pumpkin Patch is a mass baby production line...
I didn't think he was so gullable.

I'd love to hear other stories about where babies come from? What did your parents tell you? What do you tell your children?
We tell our eldest daughter(7) that if your husband loves you lots then he gives you a special jelly baby and when you eat it, it gets stuck in your tummy and then a real baby starts to grow.

Needless to say we never have jelly babies in our house.
Hi,

My policy in regards to these sort of questions/explanations is to be honest- but only give enough advice to satisfy a child and give age appropriate answers.

My parents never told me anything- I had to rely on a single book they gave me (at about age 12)- or whatever my friends tld me (not the most accurate soruce of info). I still remember the Cabbage Patch ads on tv though (when I was about 7)- I thought for ages that some farmer somwehre was growing babies- it used to trouble me that they would be out in the cold and be scared at night all alone.

I personally would not have said what you did- but he is your son and it is up to you what you want to tell him.
My DD #1 has known since age 4 that babies grow inside their Mums and come out of their Mums vagina or are cut out of their belly. I explained that women have eggs inside their bodies and that sometimes they grow into a baby. This answer satisfied her and was factual.

She has just turned 10yo and we just had a talk about where babies come from - and she wanted to know how exactly they get there- so I told her. I would rather her know the right info- then believe some of the rubbish her friends at school tell her.

But what you choose to tell your children and at what age really is a personal choice.
Its a bit hard to know what to tell your kids. I think i will just tell them the age appropriate answer.

Deegreen,
I think i will tell my kids similiar to what you have. I think otherwise they can get confused.
Also i know you can buy kids story books. And in the mother is pregnant and it kinda helps the kid understand.

I'm with deegren, I tell my kids the truth, age appropriate of course.
Posted by: mumby2
I was out shopping with my family, DF had gone to the book store while I wanted to go across to Pumpkin Patch. I asked my son who he wanted to stay with DF or myself?
"Is Pumpkin Patch a fruit shop?" he asked disappointed
"No." I answered "It's where babies come from. Cabbage and Pumpkin Patches..."
He looked at me strangely then yelled to Dad "I'm going with mum!" grabbing my hand excitedly.
I looked at the clothes will my son ran around the store looking, "Mum, where are all the babies?" he asked. I told him that they keep them out the back until they are ripe to pick...else the crying would upset the customers...

He now thinks that the back store room at Pumpkin Patch is a mass baby production line...
I didn't think he was so gullable.

I'd love to hear other stories about where babies come from? What did your parents tell you? What do you tell your children?

Can I please ask you how to do explain your tummy getting bigger if babies come from the back of pumpkin patch?

I am not picking a fight I am just curious.
I also believe that it is better to be honest with them and give them information that is age appropriate. I think it just confuses them when people say things like cabbage patch and jelly babies etc.
Posted by: Kate_Jazmyn_Zachary
I also believe that it is better to be honest with them and give them information that is age appropriate. I think it just confuses them when people say things like cabbage patch and jelly babies etc.

My daughter was 3 when she asked where babies come from and rather than get into an indepth conversation with her we thought that by telling her they come from if jelly babies that was fine. Of course when she asks again now that she is older I will tell her the truth.
She also knows that the baby comes out of the mummy as she was present during all checkup's and the birth of her brother.
I was not having a go at you, just saying what I would do! I think maybe at 3 if Jaz asked, I might say something about mummy and daddy loving each other very much, special mummy and daddy cuddles, daddy helping put the bub in, nothing graphic. Though in saying that, I may panic and say the first thing that comes to mind!!
I tell my kid's the truth but without the graffic detail's.

S

Kate,

I wasn't having a go either I just felt that I had to explain my self. That's all.
When my eldest first asked me where babies come from when i was preg with #2 I said 'Mummies Tummy' He then asked how bub got there i said 'With Mum & Dads Love' he was 4

At 7 when i was preg with #3 he asked how bub came out i said 'Mum will go to hospital and the doctor will take the baby out'

You can be honest but not grafic. I believe in telling my kids the truth when they ask me questions. No matter what it is my 9 yr old now knows that santa and the easter bunny is not real as he had a theory and asked me if they were not real and i told him the truth so TELL your kids the truth.
[Edited on 27/08/2007]

PM Me For a link to an awesome site

Sign in to follow this topic