Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. VIC
  5. Anyone live in Bendigo VIC?

Anyone live in Bendigo VIC? Rss

Just like to know whats there what are the best suburbs to live in, what the place has going for it. Daycares, schools the whole lot.

Thanks heaps!
Bendigo has a reputation that if your not 'from' there you will never belong there. Good luck though smile
Thats ok i dont need to 'belong' i just need to live somewhere! LOL

So anyone live there or near there i have NO idea whats there except a job possibility for my DF.

Cheers.
Posted by: funky*monkey
Bendigo has a reputation that if your not 'from' there you will never belong there. Good luck though <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

I've never ever heard nor felt that.... that is an odd remark hadn't heard that before

I've lived there (on and off) for nearly 25 years - what did you want to know? Not sure I'll be much help, but I can try.
The town has a population of just over 100,000, the shopping is pretty good, facilities are pretty good,
Personally, I'd stay away from Long Gully, and some parts of Eaglehawk to live in. Strathdale area is lovely.

Bendigo Council
Bendigo Tourism
Those are a couple of websites that may help with what to do around the town and what the town offers.

Good Luck
I grew up in Bendigo - in the Strathdale area - till I was 12. I have the best childhood memories growing up in Bendigo smile Can't tell you what areas are good or bad now sorry - but good luck!

Bendigo has a reputation that if your not 'from' there you will never belong there. funky*monkey yes I found that to be very true. We lived there for 18 months (Dh is in the army, they sent us there) and I hated every day of it.

The shopping was great. Child care was very hard to get. We lived in Strathdale that was really nice, most of our neighbours were a little rude and stuck up. (one put up big sheets of timber so there kids could't talk to Dd) But the area was really really nice. There was around two parks near our house and nice spots for walks. I was home by my self a lot and felt very safe.

We all so lived in Kangaroo Flat (in the new area) that was nice, Neighbours were really nice and helpful (one of them use to fix my bike when DH was't home). Had shop's just down the road which was great. I miss the Cheap fruit and veg.

If we moved back there we would look at a house in Strathdale, Strathfieldsaye (10-15 min drive), Flora Hill,Kangaroo Flat (in the new area) .

Ive always believed that things are what you make of them. You need to try if you want others to try. I dont find Bendigo to be unfriendly whatsoever. There are plenty of great schools, kinders and lots of childcare facilities. I would avoid Eaglehawk, Kangaroo Flat and Long Gully. They are all pretty rough areas. Strathdale, Strathfieldsaye, Golden Square, Maiden Gully are all lovely. HTH
I've lived in Bendigo for 11 years now - don't feel like an outsider at all smile

I live in Kangaroo Flat - there are some rough bits out this way - but also some really nice parts. I (personally) would avoid Long Gully, California Gully and some parts of Eaglehawk.

I think that shopping, facilities, schools etc are all great and that Bendigo has a lot to offer smile

Great thank you for he reply's! glad to see a few of you live there too! So i might be able to make some friends IF we do move there! LOL
Its def not certain DF and i are just looking at some options and there is a job going there that in DF's field of work. So thought id ask about it. Plus knowing what areas are better is a BIG help for looking at houses on the net!

Thanks for the websites will check them out when i get some time grin

I've never ever heard nor felt that.... that is an odd remark hadn't heard that before

I've lived there (on and off) for nearly 25 years - what did you want to know? Not sure I'll be much help, but I can try.
The town has a population of just over 100,000, the shopping is pretty good, facilities are pretty good,
Personally, I'd stay away from Long Gully, and some parts of Eaglehawk to live in. Strathdale area is lovely.

Bendigo Council
Bendigo Tourism
Those are a couple of websites that may help with what to do around the town and what the town offers.

Good Luck

lmao that is funny as but so tru i would defiently stay away from those parts of bendigo a no go zone i lived there for 18 yrs.. never thought i would leave was so use to it all but now i have moved i find it is a small town and everyone knows everything but it is expanding so could be good for you but i find it is to slow i still go back and visit but i would prefur melb ..

I lived there for about 4 of the 5 years since I left school.

Its a lovely town. Great weather. Everything you need in a country town (and really its more a city than a town). The people are friendly, I didn't find that there was much of an issue with not feeling you fit in. You find your own groups of people, its a big place. Its nothing compared to snobby Melbourne.

I lived in Flora Hill (for the uni) and also Spring Gully. Nobody has mentioned it but its another great area to live in, next suburb out from Flora Hill, so its not far from the centre of town really.
I moved to Bendigo 13 years ago and i have loved every minute of it. Met my husband in bendigo and we now have 2 beautiful children.
We are in Axedale which is nice (we are on 40 acres) but there are some great places in town. You can get bad neighbours in any suburb but i would say in general if you want town look around white hills, kennington, strathdale, golden square, flora hill, spring gully. Little bit out of town, epsom, maiden gully, strathfieldsaye, axedale, mandurang.
Good luck and welcome.
We love going out so happy to meet up for a coffee or something if you are cheers
claire
Sign in to follow this topic