Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. Perth
  5. Perth primary schools.....

Perth primary schools..... Lock Rss

I am finding the task of selecting a school for my DD very difficult! I have read the government websites, the school websites and looked at the performance reports, but none of it really tells me if it's a good school or not.

Anyway I was hoping I could get some personal recommendations, I think parents will probably have the best knowledge of their childrens schools. We want to send her to private school, but being Atheists we are concerned about religious ed. I am happy for her to learn about different religions, but not to be bombarded with one religion iykwim. Otherwise I am looking for a really good public school, we will move if we have to.

Thanks smile
Where is your preference - North, East, South, Central???
Well I guess it would be central and north because of where we live now. But if I find a school south or east that we both love, then we will look into moving, if needed.
Posted by: Snooopy
Can I ask what Atheists is ? Is that ths religion where you don't believe in TV, and believe God rules the Kingdom ? Sorry I am not up to scratch on religion LOL.

LOL, sorry if you are not joking.........but are you?! Atheism is the acceptance that there is no credible scientific or factually reliable evidence for the existence of a god, gods or the supernatural.

P.S. I believe in TV, very much so, lol!
[Edited on 12/01/2010]
The only non-religous ones I can think of North would be Stiener or Montessori. I've visited the Montessori in Kingsley as we wanted to send our children there when/if we move back. It had a lovely vibe and is the only Montessori that does K-12.
A friend of mine sent her dd to a private community school in Wembley which she raved about. I think you have to live within the boundary tho. I remember her saying her dd was listed as living with grandparents who lived in the area so that she could attend there.
Posted by: Snooopy
No word of a lie LOL I can't remember the name of it, but it is something LOL. Sorry if I offended LOL Ok. So you believe there is no god ? Correct ?

Yep, I believe the is no god, and no not offended at all smile I knew a girl in high school who was a Jehovah's Witness and she wasn't allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio, we used to ask her what does she do at home then? Maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Posted by: ~Ruby~Gloom~
The only non-religous ones I can think of North would be Stiener or Montessori. I've visited the Montessori in Kingsley as we wanted to send our children there when/if we move back. It had a lovely vibe and is the only Montessori that does K-12.
A friend of mine sent her dd to a private community school in Wembley which she raved about. I think you have to live within the boundary tho. I remember her saying her dd was listed as living with grandparents who lived in the area so that she could attend there.

We don't like Stiener and Montessori. The one in Wembley, maybe that's Bold Park CS, that is on top of my list ATM, but I am waiting to see if we can even afford it. They are non denominational, but have religious ed.
are u looking for private or public schools, my boys go to a great public school in warnbro, great school ethos, don't push religion, they even have an option in the enrollment form if u want them excluded from religious stuff if they do anything like that.if u want to know more just PM me smile, I just don't want to broadcast where they go to school online because of a certain ex trying to cause probs for me and my eldest son.

Amy

bump
Hi gkn,

Just as a side note some so called christian schools (any denomination) are anything but! one of my friends went to one a few years ago and distinctly remembers the school chapalin telling the RE class that the bible was full of nice stories, none of which are true (which is what i'm guessing you believe, but not what you expect to be taught at a christian school!!!)
I am almost the exact opposite in belief to you, excepting the TV part of course!! But hearing that kind of stuff is disturbing to me in that whislt i wont force my kids (when they are old enough to object for themselves) into going to church etc, if we do decide to send them to a christian school i want them being taught what you'd expect to be taught at a christian school in regard to RE (i also have no objection to them being taught about other beliefs etc, good for them to be aware not everyone has the same beliefs - I was like 10 when i sussed this out!!!!
We'll prob go govt! and worry about the religious stuff ourselves!!

There's some gr8 schools North in the Joondalup area!?
I went to St Stephens personally (15 yrs ago) & it wasnt overly religious! There's a St Stephens in Duncraig or Carramar! I'm hoping to send my kids to Lake Joondalup Baptist or Prendiville Catholic College! Just because i've heard good things & are in a good location!
I'm not religious either but i want to send my kids to a private high school basically for the greater opportunities (eg. music programs & better resources) & a bit more discipline (eg. strict uniform statndards!)
I'll be sending kiddies to govt primary school & then private high school as that what i did myself so by the time i went to high school i already had my own beliefs & values so the religion education i was taught kind of was just something we knew we had to learn but it didnt impact on me! Hope that makes sense!
Unless ur in a really low socioeconomic area i think most of the govt schools are fine! But in saying that there are still fantastic teachers in those schools & hopeless teachers in good schools!? Good luck deciding!

We send my DS to Hill Side Christian School. I find it great. We dont go to church although we celebrate christmas. They learn a few things eg songs bible, stories etc but i would not say it was rammed down their throats. They go 3K to yr 10 at this point and will go up to yr 12 over the next few years. We are only sending for primary school. Then up to Lesmurdie High for highschool (hopefully).
So i guess im doing the opposite of Codysmummy. The schools in forrestfield are not "the best" so im happy to pay for him to be in a caring environment with great teachers, small classes etc etc etc.

Also, i beg to differ, there are crap schools all over the place. EG, Kalamunda Lesmurdie Walliston area, these are high socioeconomic areas. The schools are ok, but there are a few teachers that are REALLY REALLY past it and well crap! I know a teacher that was at all the schools up there over the past 4 years and has been "removed" by the education department because she is a "bad" teacher. But i feel sorry for the kids who had her for a yr at each school! Teachers want to work up there, as they are nice schools with mainly nice students, but the schools still get what ever the education pulls out of the hat for them.
Goodluck in your search!
Helen
[Edited on 13/01/2010]

Sign in to follow this topic