Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. SA & NT
  5. i got told after this year there wont be any middle year intakes into reception?

i got told after this year there wont be any middle year intakes into reception? Lock Rss

hey
so ive heard that after this year primary school wont be taking any middle year intakes? does anyone know whats the go about that? my daughter is only 3.5 atm she will turn 4 in july so does that mean once she turns 5 it will be another 6 months until shes able to start reception? sounds a bit silly to me and a long wait to start school? what about childrens birthdays that are in march n months after that? im sure theres middle year intake???

some one help me if u know the answer smile

hey
so ive heard that after this year primary school wont be taking any middle year intakes? does anyone know whats the go about that? my daughter is only 3.5 atm she will turn 4 in july so does that mean once she turns 5 it will be another 6 months until shes able to start reception? sounds a bit silly to me and a long wait to start school? what about childrens birthdays that are in march n months after that? im sure theres middle year intake???

some one help me if u know the answer smile

Hi, what state are you in? You've posted in SA/NT, so assuming it's one of those.

Here in SA, from next year 2013 there will be only 1 intake FOR KINDY, which is in preparation for the introduction of one intake across schools starting in 2014.

So, if you're here in SA, your daughter would start pre-entry kindy in term 2 this year, then full time kindy term 3, and continue term 4, and then term 1 2013 and term 2 2013, and start school term 3 2013. She would then do 6 terms of reception for rest of 2013 and all of 2014.

Hope this helps.
Re above, regarding when your DD would start Kindy pre-entry, this would be affected by where her birthday falls in July. If later July after term starts, she may actually be pushed back a term to start pre-entry in Term 3. Depends on how strict the Kindy is on whether they've turned 4 or just about to when they start full-time.

Re above, regarding when your DD would start Kindy pre-entry, this would be affected by where her birthday falls in July. If later July after term starts, she may actually be pushed back a term to start pre-entry in Term 3. Depends on how strict the Kindy is on whether they've turned 4 or just about to when they start full-time.

sorry i forgot to write im in adelaide tongue her birthday is at the end of july so how do it work? will she start school in feb of 2014?? its confussing me lol
What you have heard is correct. Im a Reception teacher in SA and as of 2013 there is only 1 intake a year. So your daughter will not start kindy til Jan 2013 and school Jan 2014.
If you are born before or on April 30 then you start in January so some children will start school at age 4. If you are born after May 1 you have to wait til the following year. Sucks big time!!!

I personally like mid year intakes but they are trying to make a national curriculm and other states do it this way. My #3 is a June baby and will have to wait til he is 4.5 to start kindy and 5.5 to start school which im not happy about so i will be looking into montessori kindy as they take children from 3 years.

Hopefully in a couple years they will realise its not working and go back to the way it is. I am not a happy mother or educator with the way the school system in turning. Pm me if you require any more info.
she ready for kindy now she very clever and her daycare have said how advance she is for her age im hoping theres a way for her to start school sooner she ready for kindy now its silly how they have worked it out now sad

I personally like mid year intakes but they are trying to make a national curriculm and other states do it this way. My #3 is a June baby and will have to wait til he is 4.5 to start kindy and 5.5 to start school which im not happy about so i will be looking into montessori kindy as they take children from 3 years.

Hopefully in a couple years they will realise its not working and go back to the way it is. I am not a happy mother or educator with the way the school system in turning. Pm me if you require any more info.

omg that sucks big time i work part time and she goes to child care cost me a fortune about $65 a day and goes 3 times a week sad so i guess ill b paying that amount for another couple of years. i really hope the gov look into this and c its not working i feel sorry for all the kids whos birthdays are in like april onwards sad
u mentioned montessori kindy what is that never heard of it?? what is it??

What you have heard is correct. Im a Reception teacher in SA and as of 2013 there is only 1 intake a year. So your daughter will not start kindy til Jan 2013 and school Jan 2014.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. Or at least not for all kindies/schools. Our kindy still has intakes every term this year, and then kids go on to do 3, 4, 5 or 6 terms of reception depending on what time of year they start. This is certainly the way it is at my dd2's kindy and dd1's school.

The one intake for kindy starts next year to line up with one intake to schools in 2014. This year is unaffected.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. Or at least not for all kindies/schools. Our kindy still has intakes every term this year, and then kids go on to do 3, 4, 5 or 6 terms of reception depending on what time of year they start. This is certainly the way it is at my dd2's kindy and dd1's school.

The one intake for kindy starts next year to line up with one intake to schools in 2014. This year is unaffected.

And before you say you know because you're a teacher and i'm just a parent, I am on both kindy and school governing council, and our kindy GC is currently working on how the implementation of 1 intake for NEXT YEAR will look.
Sign in to follow this topic