Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. SA & NT
  5. Public Health Care in SA

Public Health Care in SA Lock Rss

My husband and I have just found out we are 6 weeks pregnant after nearly 8 months of TTC.

We moved here from the UK a few years ago, so we are not only dealing with our first pregnancy but the Aussie health system too!

We do not have any healthcare cover so would be glad to hear your experiences of the public care, and which hospitals/care options are the best.

Any help or advice gladly received!!!!

My husband and I have just found out we are 6 weeks pregnant after nearly 8 months of TTC.

We moved here from the UK a few years ago, so we are not only dealing with our first pregnancy but the Aussie health system too!

We do not have any healthcare cover so would be glad to hear your experiences of the public care, and which hospitals/care options are the best.

Any help or advice gladly received!!!!

I had all my care through the public system...mostly at the womens and childrens hospital. Everything went fine and I was more than happy with the care I received.

Sometimes you have to wait a while before appointments but if you get an early morning appointment to see a midwife or an OB at the hospital you dont have to wait nearly as long.

I really didnt have any issues with my antenatal or postnatal care at the Womens and Childrens.

Whereabouts in SA are you?
Depends where you live. All the public hospitals in SA, that have maternity services, are good. The womens & childrens hospital has the advantage of having a paediatric ICU if anything goes wrong.
As pp said, depends where you are obviously. I had DD1 at Flinders medical Centre, the public section, and received great care. They also have a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit that is fantastic.

Had DD2 at Mt Barker District Hospital and that was lovely. No intensive care though - either adult or neonates, so you need to take that into consideration.
Thanks for this info ladies - I had heard scare stories!

We are in Glenelg, so will be looking at Flinders (I like the look of their birthing centre) or Women's and Children's.

Early morning appointments are my saviour at the moment as I haven't told work yet but I definitely think I will carry on getting appointments as early as I can - much less disruptive on the day!

Thanks for this info ladies - I had heard scare stories!

We are in Glenelg, so will be looking at Flinders (I like the look of their birthing centre) or Women's and Children's.

Early morning appointments are my saviour at the moment as I haven't told work yet but I definitely think I will carry on getting appointments as early as I can - much less disruptive on the day!

Wow I am genuinely surprised you have heard bad things. Everyone I have spoken to who has birthed at either The Womens and Childrens, Lyell Mcewin and a few country hospitals have ranted and raved about how amazing their OBs and midwives were and how much they enjoyed their hospital stay.

What was said?
I guess the usual really...

That they really don't have enough time to give you, the midwives are rude and don't help to show you anything. The wards are packed - you can't get appointments etc etc etc!!!

I had heard the stories from someone going private, but even if I had the cover, I couldn't afford the extras. So glad to hear these positive stories though - its made me feel heaps better.

Guess with this being my first I am going to have to toughen up and not let others opinions freak me out. I am sure there will be lots more to come!!! roll eyes
Sign in to follow this topic