Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. what do you do for severe nappy rash?

what do you do for severe nappy rash? Rss

Would be grateful to know what you use to alleviate suffering from severe nappy rash. Ever had a baby boy with raw skin on his testicle? Other areas of nappy rash clear up must faster than this from my experience.
I use Daktozin when it gets really bad, it is a broad spectrum antifungal cream so i dont think you need to use it all the time it just works wonders to help it heal when it gets quite bad. You can buy from the chemist. My kids have been quite lucky otherwise so dont have any other advice but hope it clears up for your lil boy soon
Ds1 gets terrible nappy rash when teething and we use hydrozole cream which you can only apply 3 times per day and curash powder or paw paw ointment in between. This usually clears it up within 24 hours.

be careful with any sort of antifungal cream esp on a newborn, it can damage healthy skin around the infected area and the rash may not be fungal at all, talk to a pharmasist before you use antifungal creams.

desintin cream and sudocreme are great, as they have zinc in them, very good for healing and as a barrier cream. bebanthen is good for times when the rash has cleared for preventative perposes (i never found it good for bad rashes), all these cremes you can spread over the entire area without worry and easialy last all day and night. cheap too smile

also try doing in with baby wipes for a while if you use them and get a stack of cheap face washers, dampen them in warm water on your way to change bub and use them instead. sounds ikky to have to soak them but even the non scented/ sensitive skin wipes have alot of chemicals, ok normally but ive found if bubba has a rash they make it worse.

also nappy off time! nothing beats a bit of nudie time wink i let mine kick around inside in a little sun most days (only for 5 mins) the sunlight has great healing properties and letting bubs skin air is very benifital.

finally maybe try a different nappy brand? or use disposable for a little while for e exta absorbancy if you normally use toweling

sorry for the essay lol good luck getting it cleared up!
[size="3"]Ointments containing [i]both[/i] [b]zinc oxide and calamine[/b] work great for [url="http://www.goodbyeeczema.com/nappy-rashes/"][b]... rashes[/b][/url], no matter how bad it can be. I've used it for my son's nappy rashes until the time he stopped wearing diapers. It's like a miracle ointment! My son's rashes would be gone within hours after application. When I get rashes from wearing napkins (sorry if this sounds too much), I use the same thing and my rashes would be gone in hours <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

- [b]Amanda[/b] <span class="emoticon wink">wink</span>[/size]

be careful with any sort of antifungal cream esp on a newborn, it can damage healthy skin around the infected area and the rash may not be fungal at all, talk to a pharmasist before you use antifungal creams.

desintin cream and sudocreme are great, as they have zinc in them, very good for healing and as a barrier cream. bebanthen is good for times when the rash has cleared for preventative perposes (i never found it good for bad rashes), all these cremes you can spread over the entire area without worry and easialy last all day and night. cheap too smile

also try doing in with baby wipes for a while if you use them and get a stack of cheap face washers, dampen them in warm water on your way to change bub and use them instead. sounds ikky to have to soak them but even the non scented/ sensitive skin wipes have alot of chemicals, ok normally but ive found if bubba has a rash they make it worse.

also nappy off time! nothing beats a bit of nudie time wink i let mine kick around inside in a little sun most days (only for 5 mins) the sunlight has great healing properties and letting bubs skin air is very benifital.

finally maybe try a different nappy brand? or use disposable for a little while for e exta absorbancy if you normally use toweling

sorry for the essay lol good luck getting it cleared up!

All excellent advice, just wanted to add - if you are breastfeeding it might be something in your diet that is contributing to the rash, ie acidic foods - so worth having a think about what you are eating.
Bepanthan and Paw Paw Ointment are my two miracle workers. x
I took DD to the doctor when her nappy rash became very bad. They prescribed an anti fungal. On normal nappy rash I find bepanthen is the best.++++++++
i find sudocrem cream the best you can use on almost anything from nappy rash to eczema and abrasions. and help with nappy rash is a little air time.
I would usually swap between sudo cream when not bad to zinc powder(doesnt have to be a well known brand). The zinc powder was great when he did not want it touched. Its also got in summer when they have prickly heat. Its a rash on there skin.
at about 6 weeks my son got really bad nappy rash being a new parent with no experiance with babies i was at a loss. But i used daktozin used sparingly and gave him time with no nappy on and it was all gone in a week since then i used sudocrem also sparingly and about 10 to 20 mins with out a nappy on most days and he has only once had a nappy rash again and hes 2 years now and only got the nappy rash when with my parents.
I use Covitol. It's a zinc based cream and it's great. My mum used it us us when we were babies and when the boys were in hospital they reccomended it for them didn't know that it was still around. After putting it on and the next nappy change four hours later you could see a difference. It's great stuff. But if you are using cloth nappies it may stain with the zinc.

Sign in to follow this topic